PDA

View Full Version : What about HI-Point

shorty70
August 30, 2007, 06:03 PM
Must be here somewhere...but can't find it... Are they worth it, ???

Mak308
August 30, 2007, 06:21 PM
Well that depends on how much your actually wanting to spend on a hand gun. I would rather spend a couple of hundred more on a Springfield or a Ruger. :D

David the Gnome
August 30, 2007, 06:22 PM
If you want a cheap gun I'd suggest the Bersa Thunder 380 or one of the Taurus Millennium Pro's.

Taurus_9mm
August 30, 2007, 06:31 PM
+1 on David The Gnome's suggestion. :)

Makarovs are also worth taking into consideration - a lot of bang for your dollar, so to speak. :p

shorty70
August 30, 2007, 06:38 PM
NONE...are as affordable as this ... looking at a .40 S&W, ammo is cheap, any one else try it??

Joe the Redneck
August 30, 2007, 06:42 PM
Most 9mm/45acp class autoloaders $400-$700 dollars.

Hi-Point 9mm/45acp autoloader $150 or less.

I guess there is a reson for that price difference.

Still, all the guys who get arrested on COPS seem to like them.
:)

bluetopper
August 30, 2007, 06:43 PM
Well,....... yes I think they are worth their price. I've bought three of them new but never had any of them more than a few months. Two of the three functioned flawlessly. The other one would always jam at least once per mag full. I still think it was a magazine lip problem however and not the fault of the gun.
They are good guns "for what they are". I just found my self wanting something more or better, as the case may be.

sanson
August 30, 2007, 06:58 PM
the hi-point 380 ($109) actually shoots well. it pains me to say that because they are about as cheap a gun as you can get. bulky, lots of plastic, but the darn thing shoots every time. If you can spend more (add $100) you can get a bersa thunder 380 which is a Walther clone. alloy frame, thinner profile, much prettier gun. / this is just my humble dumb**** opinion so avoid getting your panties into a bind please:D

STAGE 2
August 30, 2007, 06:59 PM
Save your money.

shorty70
August 30, 2007, 06:59 PM
O.K. , let's say, I need a vehicle to go from point A...to point B...If I get the same result, should I spend 1,000 or 10,000, and what about lifetime warranty? Help me.

bluetopper
August 30, 2007, 07:04 PM
Yes, they have lifetime warranties and probably the best customer service in the business. Sounds like your mind is already made up.......Go get one and give us a range report!!! Pics too.

fisherman66
August 30, 2007, 07:06 PM
I think they are good value pistols. If it's all you can afford then certainly buy. A friend of mine has one and it has been reliable and accurate.

doncameron
August 30, 2007, 07:09 PM
there are lemons made by every gun maker!
some are more expensive than others.
People used to laugh at my Llama's (still have 3)
all of them fired everytime with any and all ammo I'd feed them.
because they were'nt TRUE 1911's, people discounted them.
until they saw my log books and saw that I was still shooting "cheap" guns
with over 20,000 rounds and never had to replace parts.

STAGE 2
August 31, 2007, 12:56 AM
O.K. , let's say, I need a vehicle to go from point A...to point B...If I get the same result, should I spend 1,000 or 10,000, and what about lifetime warranty? Help me.

A ford pinto will do just that. The question is whether or not you want to get to point B safely.

dwatts47
August 31, 2007, 01:15 AM
I'll pass on a blackened dewalt drill with a set of sights.

the drill would probably be a more realiable self defense tool.

robc
August 31, 2007, 02:51 AM
I was gonna pass on this thread, until I saw dwatts47's reply.

Take it from those who post with experience... I have a Hi-Point 9mm Comp with thousands of rounds through it. Every once in a while (with cheap ammo) I get one of those deals where the spent case gets caught in the ejection port (where the case was supposed to exit the gun). It's easy and fast to clear and chamber the next round.

With good, SD ammo, it shoots without fail. Besides, lifetime guarantee.

The one thing I don't like is having to punch a pin to take apart.

dwatts47
August 31, 2007, 06:53 AM
Sorry guys,

If you have a hi point and it does perform well, speak up. My dewalt drill comment was only aimed at the guns top heavy appearance and feel. $150 pistols do have their place and are better than nothing, I personally would rather cut corners on say, generic practice ammo to shoot out of a exceptional gun... than exceptional ammo to be shot out of a generic gun.

Rimrod
August 31, 2007, 09:50 AM
I'm not qualified to answer about the pistols since I've never shot one, but I do have a carbine and it is a lot of fun to shoot and is very reliable.

But the main reason I chimed in here is the remark about the guys who get arrested on Cops. While there a quite a few criminals that still fall into the old "nickle plated .32" stereotype, more and more criminals are turning to high priced guns. The reason is that with the drug trade crime does pay and the dealers are carrying the same guns, or better, than the police do.

Te Anau
August 31, 2007, 09:59 AM
My Hi-Point and others Ive seen,work fine and are very accurate due to their blowback design.You cant get a new,decent caliber handgun from anyone else in their price range.:)

FirstFreedom
August 31, 2007, 12:44 PM
Must be here somewhere...but can't find it... Are they worth it, ???

Hmmm, Hi-Point? Never heard of it:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83304

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202846

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158676

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144494

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106559

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115194

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144071

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157781

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89715

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212258

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205743

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201030

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200865

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195175

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181721http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178691

that's the 1st of 10 pages of links from www.boardtracker.com on hi-point pistols. Enjoy. :)

txshootist
August 31, 2007, 01:18 PM
FirtstFreedom: and your point would be?

There are a lot of people that are new to this forum, or just didn't notice the previous postings. To sit back and ridicule them for asking a question that might have been asked before is to discourage a lot of new people from participating. We all can't be experts.

Manedwolf
August 31, 2007, 01:19 PM
If you want a cheap gun I'd suggest the Bersa Thunder 380 or one of the Taurus Millennium Pro's.

The latter is inexpensive, but not cheap. The PT-145 is a subcompact that holds 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP and is flawlessly reliable, and that's quite an accomplishment.

quickcanary
August 31, 2007, 06:40 PM
There are a lot of people that are new to this forum, or just didn't notice the previous postings. To sit back and ridicule them for asking a question that might have been asked before is to discourage a lot of new people from participating. We all can't be experts.

It's not about being an expert or being a long-time member, it's about being able to use the search feature that this forum has (as well as virtually every other forum I've ever been a member of). ;)

I just did a search for "hi-point" in thread titles and it returned more than a few results. I realize that everyone isn't adept at using the internet, but there would be a LOT less redundant threads if people would just make use of the search feature.

solz56
August 31, 2007, 06:48 PM
They're about the ugliest things I've ever seen. I've never wanted to own one and If I was on that kind of budget, I'd look at a used .38 revolver. However, Hi-Point owners seem to find them reliable and an outstanding value. YMMV

Elvishead
August 31, 2007, 06:56 PM
I've learned my lesson about buying cheap guns.

My $235+S+T+Brdy Rossi, after shipping it back for warranty work, is now up to $370, not including rounds wasted in the gun.

That gun will be gone if I ever get it back from Rossi in working order.:mad:

Diesel1
August 31, 2007, 09:18 PM
There are a lot of conflicting reports regarding Hi Point firearms.
I honestly don't think I would trust my life to a firearm that has as many conflicting reports until I could fire a few hundred rounds reliably, I wouldn't let my wife carry it. That being said, I would like to take one to the range and ring it out to find out for myself.

wolverine350
August 31, 2007, 09:19 PM
great boat anchors:D

Te Anau
September 1, 2007, 01:57 PM
Clearly there are a lot of conflicting reports regarding Hi Point firearms.
Not really.People that actually own & use them generally dont regret the purchase.

bfox
September 1, 2007, 02:15 PM
I just did a search for "hi-point" in thread titles and it returned more than a few results. I realize that everyone isn't adept at using the internet, but there would be a LOT less redundant threads if people would just make use of the search feature.

If we didn't have redundant threads what would we post about ?:)

I have 2 pistols a 45 and a 9 both shoot well .
And a 9mm carbine , like it also .
For the money they were a good deal .

Bill

SpookBoy
September 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
If we didn't have redundant threads what would we post about ? HAHA A big +1 on that one!

All jokes aside I've owned 3 9c models,& 1 9mm carbine also my buddy has a 380 I now have over 2x the cash in ammo than the price of the guns.My latest 9c has went over 1000 rounds without a cleaning,call it a mileage test!result not a flaw!:D also have put over 1200 through the carbine.for 139$ and add a red dot you cant beat the package for a quick 50-75 yard weapon.
get one even if it is a lemon(wich i've never experienced with hi-point)you can get a new one for free!whats not to love ?looks,the last thing someone who is breaking into your house and see's you is thinking "is that an ugly gun or what!":D
http://gunshowonthenet.com/Gallery/albums/MKSHiPoint/MKS_Hi_Point_C_9.jpg

Rimrod
September 1, 2007, 06:23 PM
Clearly there are a lot of conflicting reports regarding Hi Point firearms.

That's the problem with getting opinions from the internet, there are too many people who have opinions on guns they have no real knowledge about. Either they don't like the looks of it, the price of it or the material it's made of.

I knew several people that owned them and not one of them ever had a bad word to say about them. They all felt they were accurate and reliable, which suited them just fine.

great boat anchors

That's what I always say about Rugers!:D There are a lot of conflicting reports about them too, along with everything else on the market, but it doesn't stop people from buying them.

Bud Helms
September 1, 2007, 07:00 PM
txshootist said: There are a lot of people that are new to this forum, or just didn't notice the previous postings. To sit back and ridicule them for asking a question that might have been asked before is to discourage a lot of new people from participating. We all can't be experts.

txshootist,

You don't actually think FF just scanned through the board and collected those threads, do you? You don't have to "notice" these old posts, there is a search function here and I'd bet FF used it. But it would have helped if he'd said so and given us the parameters of that search. Point here being, anyone can use that search function. Just go to Advanced Search to get full use of it.

Silentarmy
September 1, 2007, 08:00 PM
You get what you pay for. I would not trust my life to one.
That is my thoughts and opinion which I believe is what the original post was asking for?

Crosshair
September 1, 2007, 09:39 PM
I own a C9, 995, and 4095. All very reliable guns if you remember several things.

1. FACTORY MAGAZINES. If you buy Pro-Mag ones, they WILL jam.
2. Load the mags properly, the rounds will nosedive if not loaded properly. This is true of any autoloader.

In my experience, the one virtue of the Hi-Points is that I have never had a failure to extract jam. The blowback operation takes care of that. I have had FTE jams in my Hi-Power and 1911 because of the ammo I was using. The same ammo that gums up my HP will be easily digested by my Hi-Point, 995 or C9.

W.E.G.
September 1, 2007, 09:40 PM
I think every range bum should have a Hi-Point in his range bag just to chagrin any shooter who shows up with a $1500 range-queen pistol, wearing pressed khakis and L.L. Bean "Maine Hunting Shoes."

Ideally, the Hi-Point guy should wear his pants bloused into a $19 pair of jungle boots, and a black T-shirt with an 80's hair band logo. Ask to borrow the Kimber-guy's screwdrivers, but only use them for prying and scratching.

hoytinak
September 1, 2007, 09:46 PM
Ideally, the Hi-Point guy should wear his pants bloused into a $19 pair of jungle boots, and a black T-shirt with an 80's hair band logo. Ask to borrow the Kimber-guy's screwdrivers, but only use them for prying and scratching.

Thanks now I gotta clean up the coffee I had been drinking, just spit it up laughing. :p:D

Crosshair
September 1, 2007, 10:14 PM
W.E.G.

I have hippie hair and a Saiga AKM with sheet metal screws holding the stock on. (Aint Pretty, but it works.) Am I on the right track?

Diesel1
September 2, 2007, 11:06 AM
Te Anu
Not really.People that actually own & use them generally dont regret the purchase

What I said is 'there are a lot of conflicting reports,' I don't vouch for the accuracy of the reports, as I said I would also be willing to give it a shot at the range.

Manedwolf
September 2, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hi-points quite admirably serve their intended market, that of being the inexpensive gun in the drawer of an inner-city family that needs self-defense, but can't afford anything else.

They won't win awards for looks or marksmanship, but they serve that purpose.

fisherman66
September 2, 2007, 11:50 AM
Quote:
"Not really.People that actually own & use them generally dont regret the purchase"

What I said is 'there are a lot of conflicting reports,' I don't vouch for the accuracy of the reports, as I said I would also be willing to give it a shot at the range.

Yes, but count how many times the nay sayers have actually handled a Hi-Point.

Sure some have had problems, but how many threads are there explaining problems with 1911's? Those threads don't make the king of self-loaders a bad gun.

I'm very impressed with what Hi-Point offers for the price. There is little excuse for anyone who wants to own a gun from having a method of protecting themselves.

I prefer revolvers, but I'm impressed every time my range buddy offers me a magazine to shoot through his HP.

My $235+S+T+Brdy Rossi, after shipping it back for warranty work, is now up to $370, not including rounds wasted in the gun.

That gun will be gone if I ever get it back from Rossi in working order.

I fail to see the relevance. Did Rossi purchase Hi-Point?

FirstFreedom
September 2, 2007, 11:56 AM

OK, point taken, but

(A) I wasn't ridiculing - that wasn't my intent - my intent was to make a little humor (5%), cause more people to be aware of the search feature (10%), and inform (85%) - that's why I said "Enjoy" followed by a happy face at the end of my post.

(B) The 5% was highly warranted, since the OP had said:

but can't find it

meaning that he had searched and failed to find dozens and dozens of threads.

Even without board tracker, a simple search from the TFL search feature turns up this:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/search.php?searchid=904485

Enjoy. :) :)

Next time I will tell you the specific search I used and cut out the sarcasm - sorry.

STAGE 2
September 2, 2007, 12:24 PM
Yes, but count how many times the nay sayers have actually handled a Hi-Point.

I've handled and shot several, and have several buddies who have either owned, sold, repaired, or shot several.

Out of the 3 I've shot, only one was able to ever make it through a whole magazine. This is with a new, clean, properly lubed pistol.

One of the local gunshops refuses to do any repair work on them because of the ridiculous rate of return these pistols have. Another simply refuses to sell them because of this and the "usual suspects" who purchase these guns.

Sure some have had problems, but how many threads are there explaining problems with 1911's? Those threads don't make the king of self-loaders a bad gun.

True. However, I don't see threads about 1911's slamfiring. I don't see 1911 threads about how ejecting brass is wearing down the slide... yes the slide. I don't see a 50/50 ratio for 1911 owners of their pistols failing to function.

If you literally can't afford anything else, then by all means get a high point. But lets not sit here and pretend its anything but the basest of beater/plinking guns somewhere above the level of sharp stick.

fisherman66
September 2, 2007, 01:14 PM
If you literally can't afford anything else, then by all means get a high point. But lets not sit here and pretend its anything but the basest of beater/plinking guns somewhere above the level of sharp stick.

However, I don't see threads about 1911's slamfiring. I don't see 1911 threads about how ejecting brass is wearing down the slide... yes the slide. I don't see a 50/50 ratio for 1911 owners of their pistols failing to function.

You ride an awfully high horse. Wanta cite your examples? Where did you pull 50/50 ratio? I never said it was a gun for aficionados, furthermore I never praised it beyond offering incredible value for those who feel the need to protect themselves.

fisherman66
September 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239556&highlight=1911+slamfire

post #33 describes a 1911 slamfire

Te Anau
September 2, 2007, 02:45 PM
You get what you pay for.
Sometimes yes,sometimes no.

CherokeeTad
September 2, 2007, 05:27 PM
One of the local gunshops refuses to do any repair work on them because of the ridiculous rate of return these pistols have.
They have a lifetime warranty which follows the gun and their customer service is reputed to be top notch. Why would anyone want to pay a gunshop to work on it when you can get it fixed free and usually get a free mag for your troubles from the manufacturer. Don't tell me that your gunshop fails to tell it's customers this little bit of info.

Rimrod
September 2, 2007, 11:47 PM
One of the local gunshops refuses to do any repair work on them because of the ridiculous rate of return these pistols have.

I know what you are saying here, when I was a dealer I quit carrying Rugers for the exact same reason. I refused to sell them for the same reason.

I still hate Rugers to this day because of this, (and a few more), experience(s). But if you look around this forum there are plenty of people who love them. The moral of the story is: "beauty" is in the eyes of the beholder. In other words, if you compare the Hi-Point to a $1000+ 1911 it should look like junk. But judging it on it's own merits, it's actually pretty decent.

STAGE 2
September 3, 2007, 12:02 AM
You ride an awfully high horse. Wanta cite your examples? Where did you pull 50/50 ratio? I never said it was a gun for aficionados, furthermore I never praised it beyond offering incredible value for those who feel the need to protect themselves.

Well I'll grant you that I haven't recorded a statistical sample, however I think its safe to say that there are more than enough people dissatisfied with hi points to be wary.

As far as the specific cases, there are two gentlemen over at THR who have had their hi-points slamfire, and an individual here very recently was describing how his slide was wearing due to ejecting brass. Couple this with the pot metal that's used to make the gun and you have your answsers.

As far as the hi point itself, I suppose if someone was in dire need of a pistol right that moment and literally didn't have any more money than 100 bucks, then thats their pistol. However if we are going to be honest, I don't think this situation is a real one. If someone has the 100 bucks to buy one of these, then they can save for a wee bit longer and get a nice used quality firearm.

I don't think they are a bad beater plinking gun, but then again I'd rather spend my time plinking with something more comfortable and fun than a hi point.

I realize much of this is personal preference, but much of it is not. I think in the interests of full disclosure (and since people who usually ask about these have little to no experience with guns) posters should be able to read the bad with the good.

gopack
September 3, 2007, 08:07 AM
I don't own a Hi-Point and have fired two of them, 9mm and .45. The 9 didn't feel as klunky as it looks shooting and I did tolerably well at 25 yards. The best 5-round group I've shot with any centerfire was with the .45. One ragged hole in the X at 17 yards. I probably will never shoot another HP .45 because the results were just blind luck, I don't shoot that well and know I won't reproduce that group.

Funny thing about Hi-Points. A majority of the folks who own them, seem to like them. Most of the "terrible gun," "best you can afford inner city SD gun," "truck gun" posts come from folks who don't own them. I will probably buy one, if for no other reason, just to embarrass my son-in-law who is a bit of a gun snob.

CajunBass
September 3, 2007, 09:19 AM
I've got a 9mm Hi-Point that works like a champ.

Would I depend on it to save my life? Before I would my claws and teeth you're darn right I would. I might not grab it first out of the sock drawer, but if it was the first one I grabbed, I wouldn't throw it back either.

W.E.G.
September 3, 2007, 10:03 AM
I will probably buy one, if for no other reason, just to embarrass my son-in-law who is a bit of a gun snob.

Come on... feel the noise...

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/hipoint.jpg

I prefer to keep my Hi-Point in the linen closet instead of my sock drawer.
It fits better in a pillow case, and I can hit harder with it that way.

shorty70
September 5, 2007, 08:09 PM
Well, I'm sorry i missed the hi-point threads posted earlier. Too bad. This post seems to have generated some interest. I will say that after posting, I got the HP .40 S&W auto and today after 200 rds. Blazer Brass and WWB there were no FTF, or FTE, or any problems. Get off the high horses, this weapon is for real, unless I got a bad one...lol SHORTY

STAGE 2
September 5, 2007, 11:36 PM
this weapon is for real

So is a heavy rock, but I'm not going to use that either.

Rimrod
September 6, 2007, 08:20 AM
So is a heavy rock, but I'm not going to use that either.

I know, you'd rather have a lighter rock at a higher velocity because it has more energy because of velocity squared blah blah blah. Sorry couldn't help myself.:D

Anyway, if you had your choice between a heavy rock or nothing, which would you choose?

And remember, not everyone can afford to carry around a chunk of gold.

STAGE 2
September 6, 2007, 03:45 PM
Anyway, if you had your choice between a heavy rock or nothing, which would you choose?

And remember, not everyone can afford to carry around a chunk of gold.

Well aren't they one in the same...

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc115/STAGE-2/hipointqw9.jpg

wilson133
September 6, 2007, 04:15 PM
I bought a C9 just for laughs and found it to be a reliable and durable gun. I have better guns for carry and the range, but would be confident in it if it was all I could afford.

Rimrod
September 6, 2007, 04:23 PM
Stage 2,

That's what they look like after they were run over by a train.

Perldog007
September 26, 2007, 12:55 PM
New member here, shooter since I bought my first handgun (S&W 29 6" nickel) in 1982.

Have done quite a bit of security work, was a SPO (Special Police Officer / Glorified sworn Security Guard) in D.C. where side arm choice was mandated. I found an old worn model 10 with tapered barrel and half nickel sight nobody wanted. Shot perfect qual with it more than once.

Bought a shiny Taurus pt99 stainless to work in another venue (Hybla Valley Rt. 1 south of D.C.) and broke the cardinal rule. Carried it before range testing. Glad the first attempt was at the range. Broken firing pin, very nice club.

I have owned GLock, Beretta, Colt, Ruger, the usual suspects. Have nothing against well made weapons. I do have a real admiration for an American company that strives to provide affordable weapons for the working man.

..and having a gun in a gunfight is emperor to all....

Anything can fail to fire. Have had a Colt Detective Special break a mainspring, bad ammo (good brand though) foil my Glock 23, etc. My first CCW instructor told me all guns break and if you shoot enough you will break just about anything and everything. _always_carry/have_a_backup_kids_

Have read alot for a few days about the Hi Point. Currently down to 2 handguns, a 25-5 and Colt New Pocket. Both are beautiful wheelguns and quite accurate. ALso have the obligatory Mossberg.

While my reduced collection meets my needs quite well, these ugly clunky butt brick looking pistols have some strange appeal. A blowback auto in major calibers. How cool is that? A real gun that John or Suzy Q. Citizen can afford even if they work at Wally World. How cool is that? To me way cool.

Have a call into my gun dealer to find me a .40 Hi Point pistol. If he can't do that he will be earning a transfer fee.

It is my hope that after a good break in, I will have an affordable response to home defense situations, plinking, and range time.

Worst case, I will have supported a company whose heart is in the right place. Opinions vary, and all voices should be heard. Still I wish some of the haters would realize that there are alot of folks who can't afford a premium weapon. Often these are the folks most likely to need some help.

Look down your nose if you must. Remember the next time you use the restroom in a public place, the only reason you can is because somebody cleaned it. Somebody who probably cannot afford a Glock, much less a high dollar gun.

Me, I have got to give this company a chance. The simplicity, the butt ugliness, and the affordability all appeal to me. Besides, when another maker gives that warranty they will be collecting some of my money. Just my .02 USD.

I will try to dig up this thread and post the results after we get the ugly little pig to the range. Shoot safe everybody!

HDTVSELLER
September 26, 2007, 05:26 PM
A man i worked with and my cousin both have a hi point 9 mm. and with both of them the only time they have problems is with cheap ammo and when they dont clean the gun time after time . They even sent my cousin a free extra clip cause he thought a reason it was jamming was the clip.for a cheap gun i guess you cant go wrong.

TNFrank
September 26, 2007, 05:31 PM
I just have a really hard time trusting ANY gun made out of Zinc. :cool:

Perldog007
September 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
I thought that some of the Hi Point haters were just being a bit ridiculous. Now I know that it is society, at least our fraternity of shootists. ( I so admire Col. Cooper)

I had to call four gun dealers before I found one who would agree to a transfer. The good news is that he had his FFL on file @ impact. So the deed is done. I shall have my duck decoy anchor. Snobbery be damned.

One crusty old soul, a good smith by all accounts, actually used the 'n word' in his explanation of why he did not carry hi points.

I am going to make a point to wear a kilt to that man's shop so he can get some use of the 'f word' too. Would hate for him to get bored if nobody else inquires about affordable protection.

So to those of who to whom I arbitrarily attributed low intellect, I apologize. Of course if this gun turns out to be decent (and having owned and fired the beretta 96 and glock 23 in .40 I will know) I shall flame you all to shreds.

If you are correct in your wise and certain dispersions, this dog will dutifully scribe your praises.

I should pick it up on or about the 5th. After so much controversy, this crappy little stamping of a pistol has me in a serious jones. :cool:

Jbar4Ranch
September 27, 2007, 10:07 AM
Most folks who bad mouth them have never owned or shot one. Most folks who own and have shot them, like them. My experience with two C9's has been quite favorable.

I would also say most folks don't have a clue what they're talking about when they mention "pot metal", nor do they have a clue about the properties or strengths of various zinc alloys. "Zinc" and "cheap" aren't synonymous. Do a little research on ZAMAK-3, the "pot metal" used in the Hi Points. If these things really were the "pot metal grenades" many people say they are, do you really think Hi Point would still be in business? Especially in the United States, where lawsuits and litigation are a way of life for about half the fricking population?

cryption
September 27, 2007, 10:50 AM
I just read about ZAMAK-3 ... that's interesting. I never knew so much went into that metal.

Te Anau
September 27, 2007, 01:19 PM
Look down your nose if you must. Remember the next time you use the restroom in a public place, the only reason you can is because somebody cleaned it. Somebody who probably cannot afford a Glock, much less a high dollar gun.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

I just have a really hard time trusting ANY gun made out of Zinc.
Todays Zamak alloys are actually quite sophisticated and used widely in all types of applications including aerospace.So there! :D

Inhimwelive
September 27, 2007, 02:03 PM
This is a conversation I had with a gunshop owner on saturday..(ME) Have any hi points? (owner) No I wont carry them! Why do you want one anyways there junk! (Me)I said really most of the people I know who own them like them.. (owner) I'll put my glock up against any hi point................(Me) laughing, well of course thats why they cost 4x as much... I honestly believe the reason gun shop owners criticize them is not because of problems its because their profit margain is so small in the 1st place.. If hes going to sell you a gun does he want it to be one he makes $50 off or $250?

BADMAN400
September 27, 2007, 02:45 PM
I have many weapons running the spectrum of pricing from cheap to ridiculously expensive. I have four HP products. Reliable, inexpensive, weapons with excellent CS! IMO they are among the better value weapons available period. Are there better weapons? Sure, and there are certainly worse that cost a lot more. And the "Planet of the Apes" look is starting to grow on me. :D
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f89/badman400/Hi-Point/4e31f85c.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f89/badman400/Hi-Point/ATIStock7-24-06045.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f89/badman400/Hi-Point/af319221.jpg

Perldog007
September 27, 2007, 07:47 PM
I honestly believe the reason gun shop owners criticize them is not because of problems its because their profit margain is so small in the 1st place.

I think you are on to something there. The two gun dealers in my state listed as hi point distributors told me they couldn't get them. One tried to sell me a skyy. Must have thought I was as dumb as he was.

I am looking for a brick to plink with. If it presents as reliable it may find itself providing peace of mind here and there. (that is anywhere I don't want to scuff up my prize wheelguns)

I have decided to let them all know that if they insist on me using the internet to buy guns there is no reason for me not to buy my ammo and accessories the same way.

On the other hand, the 35 USD the one clown is charging me for a transfer fee may be more than he would make selling the gun. But the sales he loses in having me buy my ammo from cheaperthandirt or some such greatly eclipses that.

$m0kin
September 28, 2007, 06:15 AM
Here read this, but since you already bought one, it shouldn't matter.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/

Perldog007
September 28, 2007, 04:59 PM
Mucho Grassy for that link, I actually read that before I started checking out the forums.

Actually spent some hours online, and called all my old shooting acquaintances to see if any had any experience with HP.

None did, but one knew a guy who knew a guy.....

Will find out soon enough for myself.

hecate
September 28, 2007, 05:21 PM
A friend who worked counter-terrorism for nine years in the Army has a Hi-Point for a carry gun. His theory is it only has to work once, and he doesn't care if he never gets it back from the police later.

He doesn't bother practicing with it, but then I've seen him nail a running rat at fifteen yards with his 1911.

Perldog007
October 1, 2007, 09:58 AM
Just an update folks. Purchased my Hi Point online from Impact Guns on 9/26. My dealer was on file with them. Advertised shipping within 48 hours, no ship notice yet.

They approved the funds instantly and billed on 9/28, but haven't sent me that tracking number. Hope they get with it because I will buy the carbine next. From them if they act like they got a clue.

Anybody else get their Hi-Point from Impact?

Hoss4x4
October 1, 2007, 10:56 AM
I have had two jams in over 450 rounds. I use the 9mm for my truck and boat gun......that way if something happens I am not out alot of dough. The percentage is good and I would trust my life it I needed it. Just my .02

STAGE 2
October 1, 2007, 01:49 PM
A friend who worked counter-terrorism for nine years in the Army has a Hi-Point for a carry gun. His theory is it only has to work once, and he doesn't care if he never gets it back from the police later.

He doesn't bother practicing with it, but then I've seen him nail a running rat at fifteen yards with his 1911

Judging by that "theory" I'd say he has driven a desk his whole life.

KevininPa
October 2, 2007, 11:11 AM
I had a C9. It went bang when the trigger was pulled. Sold it after a couple thousand rounds. Kinda wish I kept it as a truck gun. Buddy of mine has one of their carbines. Thinkin' about getting one of those someday. His shoots very well.

Kevin in Pa

SCREAMIII2006
October 2, 2007, 02:12 PM
Shorty,
You will face a lot of ridicule and HP bashing on this Forum.
HP to a lot of people is the [insert scapegoat du jur] of firearms.
"If everyone else is saying they are junk,then they must be junk."
Thats the mentality you'll get over here.
If you want a place that embraces the HP like no other, go here and live happily ever after.:)

http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/index.php

dukenukum
October 2, 2007, 02:37 PM
I own two in .45 auto on old style one new style each has over 1000 rds and the only problems were owner related the gun is reliable the customer service is fantastic I own more expensive guns that are not as reliable :)

Perldog007
October 3, 2007, 11:33 AM
picked my Hi Point .40 JCP up last night. That instant check has gotten alot faster in the last seven years.

This is one brick of a pistol. Forget about the back up weapon, put a burlap sack in your belt. If the gun runs dry or jams, put it in the sack and bludgeon away.

It was too late to get on the range and my neighborhood is residential. After arriving at an "undisclosed location" lacking residential zoning and having a large berm, I rapid fired some eight year old silvertips trying to limp wrist the weapon.

Worked just fine.

To my mind this piece is best with magazine loaded, empty chamber and safety off. I found the safety mushy and hard to disengage with gun hand (right handed) with a two handed hold, it was easy to manipulate the safety with the supporting hand.

I would still prefer to use the Israeli draw/rack/present method with this pistol.

trigger pull was not exactly crisp, but seemed really well suited to rapid fire.

At the end of the evening, this ugly little pig was on my nightstand with 8 rounds in the 10 round magazine, doing back up for my lighted and lasered Mossberg 500.

Magazine insertion was easy, lockup was somewhat loose. Sights are very easy to pick up in any reasonable light. A ghost ring sight, allen wrench, multi purpose tool/trigger lock key, and rudimentary trigger lock along with one 10 round mag accompanied the butt brick 9000 (Hi Point .40 JCP).

I like this gun. Have ordered the SF (stupid F(ool?) ) holster [the cheap nylon one with velcro attached thumbreak, pot metal belt clip, and mag/knife pouch. 3 mags, laser mount and 500yd laser, hogue universal sleeve.

Can't wait to get to the range this weekend and give it a whirl. Mine own son, the Corporal will prolly accompany me. Will report our impressions.

It is not on par with my old GLock or Beretta 96. But it did go bang when I pulled the trigger. Slide is easy to rack, ejection was positive without being too harsh, and it sure chewed through those old silvertips in a hurry.

Will post range results soon.

For the money, I am so far very satisfied with this gun. Would not want to carry this pig without a little red wagon to haul it, but seems to be fine for HD, Truck/Car, Plinking. If I had to carry it would go for fanny pack type rig.

There are better tools IMHO, but not at that price point that I have found.

Cremon
October 3, 2007, 02:07 PM
If price is a big factor in buying a gun, why aren't you considering Bryco Arms? A Jennings Nine will cost you a lot less than a Hi Point.

Te Anau
October 3, 2007, 02:27 PM
A Jennings Nine will cost you a lot less than a Hi Point.
True,but the Hi-Point will work 99% of the time while the Jennings fills in the other 1%.Hi-Points are vastly superior in every way to the Jennings 9.:barf:

Cremon
October 3, 2007, 02:52 PM
I don't like the Jennings Nine myself, but a co worker of mine has one and his has been extremely reliable for him. I have a problem with buying cheap guns because often you get what you pay for. But if price is that big a consideration, then go with the cheapest.

Jbar4Ranch
October 3, 2007, 08:49 PM
It's *a bit* larger and *a bit* "clunkier" than more expensive pistols, but not overly so, and I can't recall a single failure with mine. Here's the C-9 compared to a G26.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/Hi-PointC-9002.jpg

IdahoG36
October 3, 2007, 11:45 PM
STAGE 2, that picture was hilarious. I personally think that Hi-Points are garbage and would not own one, even if it were given to me for free. They kind of remind me of a cast iron skillet, only heavier. They may be fine for people that are unable or unwilling to spend more for a quality, ergonomic handgun, but they are certainly nothing to brag about.:barf:

Perldog007
October 4, 2007, 07:52 AM
If price is a big factor in buying a gun, why aren't you considering Bryco Arms? A Jennings Nine will cost you a lot less than a Hi Point.

Price is a factor, always. Big Factor? well at this time if I were buying a primary HD gun, I would not consider Hi Point (never having held one mind you) . Now that I have held and fired it, not so sure - but would probably want to get something else for a primary.

My first handgun was two weeks pay from both jobs I held at the time. That was a tough month. But S&W model 29s were at a premium in '82.

I have handled a jennings or two, usually confiscated. Just don't care for them. Reading some good reviews and combing the forums, I was intrigued by hi-point.

I want a plinker, something just to punch paper at the range now and then. If it is reliable enough to keep handy - pure bonus.

@ home I am a big believer in overwhelming inducement to cooperate. The last thing I want to do is shoot a human. If it comes down to that I want said perpetrator down and out of the fight quick. @ home it is all about a laser sighted 12 guage.

Discretionary carry in my people's rebublic (er I mean home state) . Would not want to carry my Hi point unless nothing else was available.

I like pistols @ home, the range, and the woods. Love the firepower, easy reloads, and the intimidation factor in SD / HD applications. Intimidated people are less likely to make you shoot them. The hi point is a big ugly looking pistol. When I put the laser on it tomorrow or Saturday even more so.

So I guess the short answer is warranty, reputation, appearance, and ease of adding a laser or light via the factory rail. Also like adjustable/owner-changeable sights. Think the ghost ring is going on mine.

Perldog007
October 4, 2007, 08:20 AM
I personally think that Hi-Points are garbage and would not own one, even if it were given to me for free. They kind of remind me of a cast iron skillet, only heavier. They may be fine for people that are unable or unwilling to spend more for a quality, ergonomic handgun, but they are certainly nothing to brag about.

Garbage is such a relevant term. Yeah, if I was still a well paid code monkey looking for a cheap plinker it would probably be a glock. At this point in my life I would save for a couple of paydays before I could swing that.

There was a store in Annandale Va called the reloading bench, may still be there. Run by a die hard Ruger fan and old time strongman named Dale.

He had a gun from laos. Crudely made muzzle loading piece fired by a paper cap. Looked like a toy and definitely trash to anyone on this forum, but somebody built it to stake their life on. Presumably to cause a better armed antagonist to have no further need of his weapon.

Consider the liberator .45 single shot we used to litter about the countryside of certain areas. Again, junk to us - but to some brave folks fighting for their freedom they must have looked pretty good. Mercenaries and Soldier of Fortune found more than one anti-communist with a captured AK or SKS shouldered and a liberator in their waistband.

Unless you are a total poser, you know that the gun is a minor part of the purchase anyway. Extra mags or speedloaders, holsters, ammo, range time - this is where the money goes.

I just like the idea of an American made low price point gun that works and is well backed by the maker. That we live in a country where most can own a gun if they want to and almost all can afford one is something to brag about.

When I want to snob about, I take my 125th anniversary edition model 25 to the range with some nice loads from the tedious lee loader and cut pretty little groups. Not that anybody really gives a bubbly flatulence. Least of all me.

If it goes bang when you pull the trigger and puts the round inside a five inch circle at 25 yards, then training, mindset, and experience are far more important than looks, ergonomics, brand name and price.

If some thoughtless individual burdens you by making a gift of a hi point, I will volunteer to soothe your bruised sensibilities by allowing you to ship it to me at my expense. That's the best I can do. I cannot advocate that affordable arms not be available.

The poor are often the ones who most need them. Anyone who has actually done any enforcement in housing projects knows that the majority are just poor. When you think about the 2.5 million crimes per year stopped by armed citizens, reflect for a moment on how many of those instances must have been with "garbage" being brandished by the citizen/good guy.

Voyager AL
October 4, 2007, 08:58 AM
I won a 45 Hipoint. Its been flawless in the last 3 years. I recently bought a 9mm carbine. It had a trip back to get repaired, and its now flawless. I bought a C9 last week, and except for it didnt like my LEAD reloads, its flawless with Jacketed reloads. I have over 5k sent thru the 45, and about 500 in the 9mm. I carry neither, my daily carry is a Smith revolver. I have alot of high priced guns, but for plinking fun, its a worthwhile buy. JMHO
My Smith Auto has been at Smith for over 3 months. I HAD to buy a cheap 9 to hold me over til I get it back.

Te Anau
October 4, 2007, 10:28 AM
I don't like the Jennings Nine myself, but a co worker of mine has one and his has been extremely reliable for him.
Your friend is extremely lucky.

Jbar4Ranch
Can you post another pic looking straight down with your G26 directly on top of your Hi-Point?

Perldog007
October 5, 2007, 05:40 AM
O.K. Here is my problem. I have had a bunch of training, probably spent enough to buy a small house in Philly on ammo, holsters, custom work, and range time.

Done a whole bunch of Security work in "high risk" areas like D.C. public housing.

I consider myself lucky that I have never been in a gunfight. My son has not been so lucky. But that's his job. He just got back from the sandbox preserving our right to get cream cheese on toasted bagels without getting out of the car along with more critical rights.

I am picking up the corporal today and we shall sally forth to ye olde public range and give this ugly little pig a workout.

I have to say, removing the mag and locking this piece up in the a.m.. And practicing presentations in the p.m. before loading it, this gun is growing on me.

But it is clearly not a target gun. I am not sure that most of them are purchased for plinkers. More than one SO who has other things to buy than guns carries a HP. So I am happy to say that my kid has agreed to take this thing to the line and give his opinions of the HP as a fighting handgun.

Stay tuned.

Te Anau
October 5, 2007, 09:23 AM
But it is clearly not a target gun.
You might be surprised at how accurate they are.Blowbacks tend to do that.

rich642z
October 6, 2007, 02:05 PM
I havent owned one but,people at the range that I go to have to replace the firing pin at 500 rounds. And sometimes the frame itself might start cracking in front of the trigger guard. I have seen them at the range do that. :eek::eek::eek: Rich642z,Omaha,Ne.

MyXD40
October 6, 2007, 02:27 PM
I havent owned one but,people at the range that I go to have to replace the firing pin at 500 rounds. And sometimes the frame itself might start cracking in front of the trigger guard. I have seen them at the range do that.

I put average 300 rounds a weekend through my XD40. Seems to me I'd buy this gun for only two good trips to the range then thats it, in the trash it goes!

Te Anau
October 7, 2007, 08:17 AM
to have to replace the firing pin at 500 rounds. And sometimes the frame itself might start cracking in front of the trigger guard.
Thats a new one to me.Never read that anywhere.

trader vic
October 7, 2007, 08:40 AM
I picked up a C9 just to see what all the fuss was about, it has been the best $129.00 I ever spent on a handgun. It functions with all my reloads & factory ammo. It's a blast to go to the range with. Like all things made be man, you can get a good one or a bad one, mine works fine. The comforting thought is that if it ever breaks it will be fixed for free & they will give you a new magazine for your trouble, what more can you ask for? Would you bet your life on it? You bet. I wouldn't want somebody pointing one at me and banking it wouldn't work. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Perldog007
October 9, 2007, 07:47 AM
Well I got the box from On Target Sports - four magazines, a holster, a mount and a beamshot 1000 laser pointer.

The laser turned out to be a pita - but we got it mounted and pointing more or less downrange. It will stay on the HP only for it's deterrent value.

At the range, I did a quick BZO of the iron sights and turned the weapon over to my son. The kid just picked up Corporal USMC type one each on his second trip to Iraq. His M.O.S. is motor T/operator.

While not an infantryman or commando type, motor t does go outside the wire and they do get ambushed, attacked with IEDs, suicide car bombs, etc. The Corporal typically has an M16A2 in the cab of whichever truck he is in. He has also been a gunner with the Mk19, M2, and SAW249.

For Motor T the goal is to keep moving not stop to engage. Somebody is waiting for whatever they are hauling. They want to put out enough fires to break contact and continue the mission, according to my limited understanding.

The above is so that nobody thinks I am representing feedback from some low drag hi speed "operator" - room clearing specialist - or seasoned assualt trooop.

The JCP .40 was evaluated by the Corporal on a public range using a standard FBI target. Forty rounds were sent downrange, one ten round magazine at 5, 10, 15 and 25 yards. No FTF, FTE or other problems were encountered with Winchester 165 gr FMJ range/target ammo.

Here is a pic of the weapon, Corporal and target.

http://www.doublebad.net/CPL40.JPG

surf on over and check out the pic

The Corporal liked the weapon and when asked opined that he would not mind having to carry one to have on his vehicle while on convoy. He thought it might be handier than the rifle at ridiculously close ranges that are encountered on the move these days. He felt it would also be easier to employ against short range threats from inside the cab/operator station on most of the vehicles he worked with.

While he was at the house the .40 stayed near him.

He has fired the 92 service pistol and likes the .40 JCP HP better. Simplicity and more bang. Less cleaning.

If anybody knows of a better pistol for the money I would like to hear about it. This is my first Hi Point, will not be my last.

All you HP haters need to try one out.

CajunBass
October 10, 2007, 07:52 AM
"If everyone else is saying they are junk,then they must be junk."

That was exactly why I bought my Hi-Point. I wanted to see if they were as "bad" as "everyone" said they were. :D

Perldog007
October 10, 2007, 10:17 AM
Well, maybe my experience is atypical. This shootist has had more than one weapon costing much more than the H.P. give worse performances at the range.

I like it better than my Beretta 96, but not as much as the Glock 23. I will definitely be getting the other calibers and a carbine or two. A 9mm is next, already have the Lee Loader.

To those who have never owned them they need to learn of what they speak before they speak. It's one thing to say "I heard they were junk" and another to proclaim "Those are junk" .

Accurate and reliable. Serious looking. Ironclad warranty.

A few posters had one that did not work well and "pawned it off' on somebody else. Have not found too many posts around (google searching only) that talked about folks having problems with Hi Point customer service.

Have found a number of posts reporting positive experiences with the warranty work.

I may end up with two. Another shop ran out and ordered a JCP .40 after I inquired. They took three days to get back to me so I had already bought one on impact and had a dealer closer to home transfer it to me. If my man can't unload his in a couple of weeks I will get that one too. Otherwise, a 9mm is next.

Voyager AL
October 10, 2007, 12:23 PM
re: Hi-point waranty. I bought a Hi-point 9mm Carbine, and it had a small problem. Thru the gun shop, I sent it back.2 weeks to the day, it was back in my hands. fixed and 2 free mags.
Now my S&W 559, has been at Smith since the first week of July.

Nakanokalronin
October 10, 2007, 02:16 PM
The only problem I have with the Hi-Points is my local shop refuses to stock or order them. They feel they are Gangbanger pistols or something. I want a 9mm version as a stash gun for the house. They don't have to be pretty or expensive to work.

Perldog007
October 11, 2007, 06:36 AM
The only problem I have with the Hi-Points is my local shop refuses to stock or order them. They feel they are Gangbanger pistols or something. I want a 9mm version as a stash gun for the house. They don't have to be pretty or expensive to work.

I had the same problem. Had to order mine online and get a Brazilian Wax between the shipping (25.00 USD for priority mail) and the transfer ($35.00) putting my Hi Point well above average retail.

If you can find a dealer to do a transfer, get them to fax their signed ffl to an online dealer that has them in stock (another chore to find especially in 9mm) then buy the gun online, pick it up in a few days when it gets to your store.

I had good luck with On Target Sports online shop for spare mags, hogue sleeve, cheap cruddy holster, laser mount and beamshot.

Then go to the range, let everybody get a good laugh in. Smoke your target and take it back out and show it to them. They will quiet down in my limited experience.

This shootist took the additional step of letting my local shops know that if I had to buy guns online, there was little reason not to get all my other shooting needs that way. They make their money on accessories. Boneheaded it is not to sell a gun because the mark up is low.

But Boneheaded is a way of life. Proceed accordingly

Perldog007
October 13, 2007, 11:20 AM
Well, I wanted the 9mm compact next, but looks like I will be getting another JCP .40 . The first dealer I asked ordered one, but took three days to tell me. By that time I had already bought online.

Heard through the Grapevine he is crying about being "stuck" with it. Oh well, now I will have a pair of them. Thinking leaving the issue sights and laser on one for HD and ghost ring on the other.

Anybody else get two of the same on purpose? I was sitting here thinking that it might not be a bad idea. Never owned any brand of pistol that did not get/need occasional work. With two of the same model one should always be up and running, or at least a better chance thereof.

I am not unhappy about it. Like the gun and it shoots much better than I expected. Will be getting all of them over time, if the creek don't rise.

sharpshot08
October 15, 2007, 11:09 AM
Horrible guns, save your money buy something better

Perldog007
October 15, 2007, 02:23 PM
Horrible guns, save your money buy something better

And you know this how? I have bought one, fired it, fired it some more - and so far it has been 100% satisfactory.

Please enlighten us as to the basis for your expert proclamation. Yes they do roll out clunkers now and again. From everything I have been able to research they fix them too. They fix all of their weapons which are returned to them. Who else does that?

I like Glock alot. For the price of a 23, I can buy a .40, a 9mm, and a carbine in Hi point and still have money left over for practice and ammo.

Now at 200 rounds into the journey - I don't know how this gun will hold up. So far it is accurate, reliable, and affordable. For those who can't afford 500 and up, this looks like a good deal.

Do a google on Massad Ayoob's article "CHeap guns are good enough". If a person needs a gun right away, and money is tight this poster would take the position that they could do worse.

Read that article and please tell us what you think would have happened if the subject character had decided to save up for a brand that would meet your approval.

I have also been a shootist since 1982. Ruger, S&W, Colt, Springfield, tangfolio, RG, Beretta, Taurus, Glock owned - have also shot Raven, Davis, HK, Walther. I say it's a gun and it works. Horrible?

I know a kid (26 years old) who thinks all Glocks are garbage because the first handgun he bought was a Glock 26 that has constant ftf and fte issues, mostly fte stovepipes. He never had the gun looked at, never sent it back to Glock, just walks around thinking Glocks are not as reliable as a good old Davis .380 .

You keep saving while I keep going to the range and enjoying my "horrible" gun.

The only time I had to offer resistance to home invaders the closest gun was a $39.00 Mosin-Nagant Rifle. It was all I was wearing. Problem solved without shots fired.

I once worked security at some Apartments in Alexandria VA. called Auburn Village. The neighborhood toughs had taken a police officers expensive Sig and shot him in the arm with it. The high shelf price, high magazine capacity, brand name, and perceived quality failed to protect him.

This dog opted for a pearl handled Model 15, an apple wood stick with a spinning strap, notebook and pencil and professional bearing to walk that beat for a year.

Everybody knew I had no radio. I was a private guard. I only had six shots and they knew that too. I had no patrol car. I was there five or six nights a week for a year. When I worked I stayed visible. The cop in question would probably kick mine hindparts in a scrap.

He got in over his head, over something stupid and waited too long to act. If his Department had given him a $200.00 Taurus .38 (do-able back then when purchasing enough for an agency) and the balance in extra training, who knows?

If a working person can only spare 600 bucks out of a year's budget I would advise them to get the Hi Point and spend 400 on ammo and range fees rather than buying a higher price gun and sticking it in the sock drawer and hoping they acquit themselves well if the moment ever comes.

Where I live now concealed carry is only generally allowed on one's property. The .40 will conceal in the waistband under a loose fitting shirt. I have carried mine around the woodlot "mex" style, in the small of the back. Not the best carry piece, but it can be done. I think the 9mm will be easier to carry.

Carried thusly, it is prudent to leave the chamber empty. I practice draw, rack, present. It is a hell of a lot better than being in my neighborhood thinking about that USP on lay-away.

I prefer it to walking around with one of my prize "high dollar" guns. The first thing that happens in the aftermath of any type of confrontation where a gun saves your bacon is that the gun is taken away, even if you aren't.

If I did decide to go through the hoops and appear before a judge for a ccw in my current state, the Hi Point probably won't be my choice of carry gun. But to kill paper targets this ugly beast rules. It's reliability and accuracy earns it a place on the nightstand backing up the Mossberg.

If you are concerned about safety NOW, I say get the Hi point, get on the range and then save up for a beauty.

Everybody should know the joy of owning a fine weapon. The Hi point ain't it, but it is affordable and serviceable. So get your Hi point today, start shooting now, and save up for that wondergun.

By the time you get your gee whizbang special you will probably be a competent operator. In a fight competency means alot more than brand name. In fact the competent operator rarely has to fight.

Trust me on this one, seasoned hoods mostly know when somebody is pointing a gun at them in fear and they know when the operator is confident. Which citizen do you think is most likely to be attacked?

Oh and if you are wealthy, buy one and use it to make your gun safe that much heavier and harder to carry off. There are worse things you can do with your largess than to support an American company dedicated to functional affordable guns for working people.

If you are really wealthy, you can buy a couple dozen hi points to anchor those hand carved mallard decoys. I am confident they will do that too.

All guns break, and I would be hard pressed to find a brand that never stopped a fight. The only Horrible gun is the one that's sitting on a shelf in a store when you need it in hand.

Voyager AL
October 16, 2007, 07:44 AM
well put, P Dog.;)

clarion44
October 16, 2007, 09:16 PM
I bought a hi-point 9mm for my first gun 3 yrs ago to see how I'd like it and only ever put maybe 400-500 rounds through it. I recently finally gave it up, but it took 6 different shops before someone took it off my hands. I never had problems with it.

Perldog007
October 19, 2007, 10:39 AM
Well the gun dealer that ordered a JCP when I asked for a price - and took so long to get back to me that I already had one shipped and transferred - packed it up for a show this weekend.

So I just ordered a Hi point 9mm Compact, an additional two eight round mags, and a fobus holster.

Should have a range report in 10 days or so. Plan to go easy on the first outing, 75 rounds or less probably white box and maybe a few +p JHP whatevers.

This is a necessary evaluation to see if the JCP I have is a fluke. Reading some of the proclamations by the learned here one would expect these to be horrible. My .40 is anything but. Simple, reliable, accurate. I have paid much more for worse performance.

So next we will check out the 9mm then the .45. Planning on getting one of each model, maybe even the .380 and certainly the carbines. Time will tell, but I think these are a bargain and a company worthy of support.

Voyager AL
October 20, 2007, 04:11 PM
You'll DIG the carbine in 9mm. Lotsa fun.

varoadking
October 20, 2007, 06:46 PM

Everyone does...sooner or later...

...glad you made it out without too much damage...

obxned
October 21, 2007, 03:38 AM
They are cheaply made, rough finished, top heavy, and uglier than the backside of a warthog with hemorrhoids. They lack a useable safety for left-handed shooters, and the triggers are the worst of any gun I know.

However, every one I've seen shot well and was reliable.

Hemicuda
October 21, 2007, 04:52 AM
Clunky, yes...
Ugly, yes...
cheap, yes...

but the 9MM I bought on a whim SURE does shoot!

I got it cheap, used, on a whim...

it looks unwieldy, but fits my hand well... and never jams!

about a year ago I decided on a torture test... "shoot lots, clean never"

well, literally 8000 (yes, eight thousand) rounds later... filthy as hell, still ugly too, but also still going bang every time...

I started the same test on my favorite gun design at the same time... the Smith & Wesson semi-auto... in perticular, a 5906...

at a little over 6k rounds, the slide got sticky, and it needed to be cleaned to function reliably...

I still love and carry the Smitty's... but that Hi-Point is a real pleasant surprise!

Te Anau
October 21, 2007, 01:18 PM
Everyone does...sooner or later...
+1 on that.I kept my Comp 9 Hi-Point and sold my Glock 21.Smartest move I ever made.
and the triggers are the worst of any gun I know.
Never understood this one.Single action triggers are all fairly similar.

Perldog007
October 21, 2007, 04:31 PM
Personal choice of armament is so subjective. Even on departments where sidearm, impact and intermediate weapons are tightly regulated you will see a wide variance in everything else.

If somebody just does not feel right about a Hi Point, Glock, whatever I am not going to argue. If somebody says "IMO that thing is a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]" that's a personal expression.

When somebody says those guns don't work and others say they do that calls for further investigation.

Believe me, if that .40 chokes on my 10 year old box of 185 gr hydra-shoks I will post it up. If the new nine bobbles silvertips or white box I am all over it.

Already have decided that these things won't be carried by me in condition one. That is a serious limitation for most ccw permit holders.

But for taking to the range or keeping around the house, this manufacturer may just become my favorite.

Wth my limited experience - in reply to the topic question - I say good for the range, possibly a good choice for HD.

Having done security work in a whole rack of poor neighborhoods and having lived in Blue Ridge trailerparks where everybody works at a mill or sweatshop I am all about affordable protection.

If you live on North Beachwood or in Malibu, I say the Hi Point could be considered poor form. If I move there I will sell or pawn mine or at least bury them in the gun safe.

One of my least favorite service guns is the M9/model 92/ pt 92/99 series in 9mm. I would carry one to work before a Hi Point. Nothing wrong with those puppies, just not my favorite.

Perldog007
October 22, 2007, 10:40 AM
They are cheaply made, rough finished, top heavy, and uglier than the backside of a warthog with hemorrhoids. They lack a useable safety for left-handed shooters, and the triggers are the worst of any gun I know.

I have to agree, except the trigger part. I had a Taurus .38 from the days before they got the quality control fever. But for a single action, fairly mushy and tragic, but not too heavy.

Anyway - one more reason to consider another brand :

Had to ride a local dealer for two days before TGS got his ffl to ship my 9mm Compact. Talk about a gun with a stigma. The CCW instructor at my range is already making noises about me bringing mine to class - the course outline calls for a "quality" handgun.

So right or wrong, this brand definitely has a stigma. Still on my two range trips with my .40 I did get a special satisfaction from showing off the target to the assembled "experts" on hand.

Still can't wait to get that 9mm to the range, if it shoots like the .40......

varoadking
October 22, 2007, 08:08 PM
I kept my Comp 9 Hi-Point and sold my Glock 21.

There's no accounting for bad taste...

dakota223
October 24, 2007, 07:42 AM
QUOTE] For the price you cant beat a hi point.. With that being said it shouldent be doing that.. I would contact the dealer you bought it from and see if they can offer any insight or possibly swap it out for a new one.. [/QUOTE]

in my qualifying class 2 new shooters couldnt qualify one with a hi-point compensated 9 and one with there small hipoint 380 one gun was new from box the 380 one borrowed a sigma 9 and the other a bersa and took a new stab at it and passed within 5 inch circle at 7 yards and with most gun shops having layaway no reason not to bump up to something a little better and take your time paying it off Hi-points are made in ohio i live in ohio and i wont buy em hi point was in bussiness before made out of old railroad steel and iron went out of bussiness for the longest time and came back research it there made in mansfield ohio they were junk then and junk now!

Nigelcorn
October 24, 2007, 09:10 AM
Hey Dakota, have you heard of punctuation? Seriously, your thread is almost impossible to read. I am not expecting you to have perfect sentence structure, but not one period in your entire rambling, incoherent paragraph of slop? Come on, man.

Perldog007
October 24, 2007, 01:09 PM
Many have stated opinions to the effect "no reason not to save for something better/ layaway for a 'good' gun".

Self Defense rule number one - have a gun in your hand, not in your imagination or on lay away.

If you already have a gun - you can do worse for a "cheap second gun". You know if the worst happens and you are forced to defend yourself with your high dollar gun - it won't be in your hand until the matter is adjudicated favorably. That can take a while, and the "bad guy" isn't always behind bars during this.

I had a legally carried revolver taken from me once and held for months. The "bad guy" never even was cuffed. I was fortunate enough to have other means or I would have been feeling very naked during that time.

One instructor told me that the average Joe that carries needs five guns.

One carry and one BUG. If the balloon goes up they take those and you then you need another carry and another BUG. Just in case one more "they" can't find.

I am not advising this or endorsing it, just pointing out that a NRA certified and State sanctioned instructor told me this.

Now if you heed advice like that and don't have 3 to 5k for the exercise, Hi point looks pretty good.

If you already have enough guns, if money ain't tight - these are valid reasons to go beyond Hi Point. I happen to like mine well enough to want a few more in the collection. But if I decide to carry again you can bet it will be something I feel good about carrying cocked and locked.

I am almost hoping that something is wrong with the 9mm I got so I can check out the customer service. It seems that the company has kept the same name but changed models and management over the years.

Perldog007
October 24, 2007, 01:15 PM
Quote:
I kept my Comp 9 Hi-Point and sold my Glock 21.
There's no accounting for bad taste...

Sure there is. In a takeaway, according to some statistics sited by Massad Ayoob, no safety catch = bad guy takes 1.5 seconds to fire. Safety = bad guy needs 14 to 17 seconds on average.

With that crappy little safety on the hi point we might be looking at the fat end of the curve.

Having said that, I love Glocks. But they ain't pretty either.

Dakota - did it ever occur to you that those were probably novice shooters who just did better on the second pass? Look back through the thread to see my link to a pic with a minimally trained pistolero and his results with slow fire at 5, 10, 15, and 15 yards 10 rounds at each station. Out of 200 points (K5 scoring) he cut a 199.

Beside if you needed an emergency duck decoy anchor you would feel better about using the Hi point than the Glock. At least I would :D

Perldog007
October 30, 2007, 10:14 AM
Still shooting and loving my .40... BUT!

Trying to find a C9 in my state is hard duty. Thegunsource.com listed them as in stock and it took them ten days to fill my order. Of course they never advised me of this.

To my mind this is a major problem given the target market - folks who can't afford a more expensive gun. I have a whole rack of acquaintances who are working poor and do not get online. They would be strictly out of luck in my state except for twice a year at a gun show.

This is not a slam on the gun, but an affordable handgun is nothing if unobtainable. Hi Point should get on top of this.

Also when I inquired about taking a ccw class (my state recently went "shall issue") the answer included a proscription of "that Hi Point we transferred to you". The syllabus requires a "quality" Handgun.

THinking about showing up with my 25-5 and a bag of speedloaders and a bianchi 111.

I am still saying buy a hi point, if you have nothing it is better than something on laway. If you have something who can't use a beater/plinker?

But I have been finding "image" issues and such 'round my way. Won't deter me, but something to consider if you care about these matters.

Will be trying to choke my .40 with some old Federal Hydra shoks this weekend, will let y'all know how it works out.

ALSO - I will personally be avoiding the laser sight at all costs. I like them and always put them on my duty guns when possible. Experience indicates that they inspire cooperation, but the Hi Point variant has proven hard to sight in and impossible to keep that way for me.

Perldog007
November 1, 2007, 05:42 PM
Took the .40 to the range tonight with a box of Federal 185 gr hydra shok.

The piece would only reliably feed with 7 rounds or less in the magazine. With 8, 9, or 10 loaded some "assist" was needed to cycle the pistol until the magic 7 round count was achieved.

On the upside, accuracy was outstanding. Two handed standing 40' from a 25 yd timed and rapid fire target, all shots in the black.

When the gun failed to feed, manually pulling the slide back and releasing it chambered the next round. It looked like the hydra shoks were diving into the feed ramp instead of smoothly flowing up.

A "fluff and buff" as they say on the Hi - point forums is in order.

While I was shooting my C9 came in from thegunsource.com (finally). The weapon, 2 spare 8 round mags, and a fobus paddle holster arrived for 175. Took a brazillian wax on the 35$ transfer fee.

The 9mm has not been test fired yet. None of the mags drop clear loaded or empty. Otherwise dry function seems in order. Stand by for range report on the 9mm.

The nine came with a big ole orange warning label stickied to the grip and the usual ghost sight, tools, breech plug, and manuals. The "trigger lock" was also present.

The weapon seems nimble enough in the hand, safety is easier to engage than on the .40. Overall, looking forward to breaking this one in and finding out what it will feed.

Perldog007
November 2, 2007, 04:09 PM
put 100 rounds of wwb through the C9 this afternoon.

The second round did not feed and needed the "hi point smack". After that feeding and ejection was smooth. Will have to take a pic of the target and post it.

I have recently come off of an eight year lay off from regular practice and it shows. Once I got "dialed in" with this little butt brick it rewarded me with an incredible group.

One of the magazines I bought with the piece only holds seven rounds. Functions fine otherwise.

Recoil was sharper than I expected, but totally manageable. My trigger finger did take a minor beating from the bottom of the trigger guard, work on my grip would likely correct this.

The fellow who checked me in at the range of course put his nose up at the sight of the duck decoy anchors in my SKB case, but he was surprised to see my target when I finished.

The only other nines I have owned were the pt99 and a ruger p89. The Hi Point C9 is handier and easier to conceal for either, but don't know if I would trade either one for a C9. The C9 was more reliable oob than the pt99. It is easily as accurate as the p89 but more difficult to shoot.

So far that makes two hi points purchased, two shooters received. Looks like the haters are confused. Only one thing to do now, try a .45!

quickcanary
November 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
Only one thing to do now, try a .45!

You're right, and I personally am looking forward to reading your impressions. :)

I commend you for having the cojones to buy the Hi-Points and provide us with an objective review. It seems you are mature enough to not give a hoot about image, and it's that much better when you can prove the nay-sayers wrong.

I still don't know that I would buy one, as (like you) I have the means to buy other guns, but were I on an ultra tight budget and needed a range toy or some personal protection, I can say I would feel more comfortable buying one now than when I first joined and read the opinions of people who lacked real life experience with them and poo-poo'd them because of the name or styling. I would certainly buy a Hi-Point before a Jennings or one of the other bottom-feeders that are arguably unsafe to own and shoot.

I wonder how many Hi-Points have been sold as a result of this thread? Maybe they should send you a free .45 as a thank-you gesture. :D

USMCGrunt
November 3, 2007, 02:51 PM
Sounds like you are trying to have folks here reaffirm your choice but since you already made it, good luck with it. However, think about this for a minute, how many High Points have you ever seen LEOs carrying? Ever hear of or see one at a defensive shooting school? Ever see a decent holster company make a CCW holster for one? If you can answer "yes" to any of these questions, that would be a new one on me. What do you think these observations tell us?

Perldog007
November 3, 2007, 04:20 PM
There was a post about LEOs carrying Hi Points in Indiana - undercover drug types trying to blend in. Seems they thought their high dollar guns would burn them. They must have some level of comfort with the brand or they would go with davis, jennings, or some such.

I consider Fobus and Galco to be quality holsters and they both make Holsters for Hi Point. I have a fobus for the C9 and will be getting the roto model for the JHP. Currently I only CCW on my property (my new state only recently went "shall issue") but the fobus under a loose shirt or jacket does just as good as it did for CCW with a fobus and 1911 pattern in another state.

You have a point about defensive schools. My local range just said no to Hi point until the range master saw me work out yesterday. Now they are reconsidering. I told them I would be happy to bring my N frame .45 colt and shame their donkeys - but they may let me shoot the C9 for the ccw class.

And I think your concerns are VERY valid. My son is also a devil dog and while not experienced with handguns in general, wanted nothing to do with the HP until he got it on the range http://www.doublebad.net/CPL40.JPG . After that I didn't get to hold it again until he was headed back to Cali.

(thats slow fire 5, 10, 15, 25 yards 10 rounds each station 198 of 200 scored)

I got interested because some folks were authoritatively stating these were the best thing since sliced bread and others were affirming with equal conviction that Hi Points were more akin to that slice of bread after a trip through the digestive tract.

Not really interested in anybody affirming my choice of anything. I was pretty fond of carrying a wheelgun in "high density" areas for security work when all the cops thought I was daft for leaving my double stack autos at home.

I am interested in the OP's question and those who seem to say with authority that these are terrible guns despite an abundance of empirical data to the contrary.

pgg
November 3, 2007, 09:20 PM
All this reading has sparked my curiousity. I am going to try and get myself a Compact 9mm and see how she performs for myself. :D

Perldog007
November 6, 2007, 12:05 PM
All this reading has sparked my curiousity. I am going to try and get myself a Compact 9mm and see how she performs for myself.

Well I still like mine, but am starting to reconsider these as entry level pistols. The magazines are not up to snuff. I have seven (3 for 9mm , four for .40) and exactly three of them perform to one hundred percent.

Having said that, I always under load almost all magazines. Many novice pistoleros may not know to do that. So that is a concern.

The accuracy is out of all proportion to the price. Actually managed to do the "smiley face" trick on a B27 at 15 feet. Two handed and taking my time, not perfect but recognizable. When that happens with me the gun has to get most of the credit.

Perldog007
November 7, 2007, 12:29 PM
Already have a fobus paddle holster for the C9, just ordered a Fobus E2 Roto holster for the JCP .40. The roto does what exactly what it sounds like. You can position it for SOB, SS, CD.

A call to the Iberia plant re feed problems with full mags on the .40 resulted in some advice on tweaking the mags - so will try that before returning anything.

Also there is a post on the Hi Point forums were a pistol owner totally unsatisfied with the mags for his .40 modified a Chip McCormick 8 round .45 1911 type mag. Says it works. Will have to try that (but prolly not with a McCormick).

JasonJ
November 9, 2007, 02:29 AM
if you can afford a $500 XD or Glock, go for it. i cant, so i own a model JHP 45acp Hi-Point. and i love it.

is it heavy? yes. is it less than pretty? you bet. is it big and frightening to most people? yup. does it fire every time? yessir.

for many of us, that extra $350 we saved is money that means i get to eat this month. And if i get to take my $129 Hi-Point to the range and have some fun on a full stomach.. its all the better.

im painstakingly saving for an XD9. its going to be a while.. but in the meantime, i'll shoot my JHP and enjoy 4" groups at 25yds.

PS: to keep the cost down, corners are cut on magazine quality.. its a given. Adjustment of the feed lips, and wearing in of the mag spring helps 1000%.

you can also disassemble the mag and loop the bottom of the spring around the next higher coil, thus shortening the spring. should now fit and feed full capacity.

fluff and buff the feed ramp helps a ton too. these 3 things will increase reliabilty of the gun to where a much pricier firearm is.

Perldog007
November 16, 2007, 08:43 PM
So far have tried three holsters for the functional zinc bricks that I have come to know and love.

The "Jethro" nylon pouch with the mag/knife pouch universal-type holster works, sort of. The fobus paddle holster for the C9 is amazing. After sporting this rig about the woodlot for a spell, would have no hesitation using this set up for CCW. The C9 is also growing on me, but that's another post.

The Fobus E2 paddle holster for the .40/.45 is neat, it rotates for Crossdraw and strongside carry and SOB, but it is entirely too bulky for Small of Back carry IMHO.

The E2 also fails to protect the safety and trigger to my satisfaction so this would not be a first choice if I decided to carry the full size Hi Point. (Due to the rattle of the counterweight and other issues I would not as first choice)

Have the Galco Matrix on order for the .40/.45.

My evaluation of the Hi Point .45 is getting pushed back a month - wife is taking a ladies clinic tomorrow on basic pistolcraft so we will be adding a .22 to the pile for her to become a proficient blaster with on her way to a "real" gun.

With the paddle fobus and the C9, I have no issues with condition one carry. So far haven't found the rig I can say that about the JHP/JCP series.

Also have found the safety on the C9 to be easier to manipulate. It is set up for right hand only, but have gotten pretty good a applying and disengaging with weak hand trigger finger.

I make it a point to practice left handed with anything I carry, and the C9 is one of the best shooting for me on the weak side. Nothing like an 1911 with a trigger job, but way ahead of some others I have owned and liked.

There are better carry gun/holster combo's for sure. But I would not feel bad about the C9 in a fobus paddle under a baggy shirt/vest/jacket.

Perldog007
November 19, 2007, 04:27 PM
Did the old school ppc today :

7 Yards - 6 shots 2 handed
6 shots weak hand unsupported
6 shots strong hand unsupported

10 Yards - 6 shots weak hand supported
12 shots two handed

15 yards - 18 shots two handed

25 Yards - 6 shots two handed

WWB "value pack" wally world specials for ammo, B27 targets

288 with the C9 9mm
294 with the JHP .40
(K5 scoring - highest possible score = 300)

No ftf or fte. The magazines seem to be incredibly reliable IF UNDERLOADED

Seems a shame that no good aftermarket or premium factory mags are to be had.

P.S. seems like the "smiley face" trick I pulled off with the .40 @ 15' was a fluke - tried it today and it looked like I let a cop shoot it :D

Perldog007
November 20, 2007, 09:04 PM
My opinion of the C9 9mm Hi Point is evolving. If the reliable and accurate streak continues for 1000 rounds or so it may end up getting some holster time when I get my ccw early in '08. But the .40 I have and the .45 I plan on getting from Hi Point won't get too much serious consideration from me for CCW.

I love the .40 on the range and the nightstand but do not consider it viable for ccw due to the size, protruding magazine, rattle of the counterweight, and difficult to manipulate safety that could only be described as positive by a terminal optimist. For the size of this pig you could get a whole bunch more firepower *-* at three times the cost and up.

However - Galco makes a matrix paddle holster that will hide this pork blossom of a shooting zinc block under a coat or loose outer shirt/vest if you so choose.

It is listed for the JHP .45, but the JCP.40 shares the same outer dimensions. The holster is like a fobus, but appears to be sturdier with two chicago type tension adjustment screws that work well.

The piece ends up riding high like an administrative holster, retention is positive, re-holstering does not take much practice to accomplish smoothly. On a frame like mine (big and fat) the Galco Matrix really will make this unsightly block of ZAMAK3 disappear with a little help from the wardrobe department.

The matrix, unlike the fobus E2 roto holster for the big Hi Points, covers the trigger completely. The safety is still not perfectly protected, but I had no problems with it walking off whilst cutting with axe and saw in the woodlot today.

Why anyone would want to CCW the JCP .40 Hi Point is beyond me, but you could within the limitations of the Glaco Matrix. The holster is only available in right hand, and only wears well strong side back towards the back of the hip.

It does not have the "rubberized" comfort area on the "skin side" of the paddle like the fobus. If you go this route you want to sort out your clothing so there is at least one layer of cloth/fabric between your hide and the hide chafing paddle.

I have worn the JCP in the Matrix in around the property for six hours today and it is comfortable enough. The Mrs. was surprised when I took off my jacket and she saw the massive budget blaster on my hip.

My Matrix arrived from planet optics just under 29.00 USD, clipped dipped and shipped UPS ground.

Earlier USMCGRUNT posed some questions in this thread - one of them being: Ever see a decent holster company make a CCW holster for one? . I already responded in the affirmative to his query, but now I can honestly say that there are viable choices for not only the C9 but also the JHP/JCP series. I have worn them and they work.

Contrary to my first impression, I would carry the C9 condition one in a fobus standard paddle and the JHP/JCP series in condition one in a galco matrix. (as of now.... stand by for more extensive testing.)

Regarding the Hi Point .40 - when I took the VA SO quals the max range was 15 yards. When I tested the Hi Point .40 at the range I went old school - 18 rounds each at 7, 10, 15 and 6 rounds at 25 yards. I scored 294 with the Hi point. This is higher than I ever scored with my Beretta 96 or Glock 23, and the max range on those again was 15 yards.

This score on the Hi Point was the fourth range trip after a seven year layoff ( and eight years since I went every week). Not saying I wouldn't trade that hi point for a shiny new 96 or 23, just saying this dreadful looking butt brick really shoots well.

Perldog007
December 3, 2007, 09:03 AM
The magazines on my Hi Point .40 absolutely apply suction in an inappropriate manner.

No big deal in the lane at the range, but this pistol shoots really well for me and I would like some better mags.

There is a post on the Hi Point forum regarding a Hi Point owner who took a McCormack (sp?) 8 round 1911 mag and using a jeweler's saw and dremel tool made the cut out on the 1911 mag similiar in dimension to the Hi Point .40 mag.

The poster further reported after a slight tweak on the feed lips his home brewed mag is most satisfactory.

This calls f or investigation. Since my kitchen table gunsmithing skills are dubious at best, I dropped a Hi Point mag and an McCormack 1911 mag off at the local smithy with instructions. May not have this back before January due to existing orders at the shop.

In rudimentary testing, holding the 1911 mag in place in the Hi Point mag well, it did chamber a snap cap and a live round.

The issue mag for the .40 protrudes from the mag well looking to many like a Black and Decker battery pack. Of greater import to this shootist - it moves back and forth when fully seated. I can't see how this would not cause the occasional feed problem. Plus the mags are just plain cheap.

Results of this experiment will be posted as soon as the work is done.

TheBigCaliber
December 3, 2007, 09:42 AM
checkem out on youtube.

fredneck
December 5, 2007, 07:57 PM
The Hi-Points we pick up on the street seem to do a fine job working and putting holes either in bad guys, vehicles, or houses...so I guess they work fine. But...if anyone has any amount of self respect they should get a firearm not associated with basic scum and Lorcins and High Points are definitely the guns of pukes. A decent person interested in self defense usually gets at least a Bersa or a Ruger in my experience. Sorry if that sounds snobby, but so be it.

BADMAN400
December 5, 2007, 09:13 PM
Self respect?

I can understand why an LEO might develop that kind of emotional stigma about a weapon they take off of criminals on a regular basis. But endowing a gun with a persona is almost what the anti-gunners are doing isn't it? Guns kill?

Just because a criminal uses a certain weapon to commit a crime doesn't mean that a law abiding citizen shouldn't buy that type weapon if it is the only thing he can afford to protect himself and his family.

And for you to sully the good name of one of the best firearm companies because of personal grudges does sound like a snob. And it also sounds beneath the integrity of an LEO.

I wonder what happens when you find a crack head with a Glock. Do you start saying any "self-respecting" person won't buy a Glock?

I have many more expensive higher end guns than I do lower end, such as the Hi-Point. But the ones I do have, have always worked. When a part wore out, the HP company sent another free and most of the time a free magazine for the trouble! I have never felt ashamed to shoot them. I shot the HP .45 today. And I'm a 47 year old white male who supports LE and have a few friends who are LEOs.

The C-9 was my first purchase and caused me to have so much fun I adopted the gun sports as a lifelong hobby. I took the CWP test with my HP C-9 and outshot a fellow classmate with a Bersa and another with a Glock.

Free country. We all have our opinions. This is mine. :cool:

allenomics
December 5, 2007, 09:21 PM
Hi-Point goes bang and is not unsafe to fire. I'd save my money and buy something that will be better in every way, for maybe a bit more than twice the price. Hi-Point resale value to a dealer probably isn't more than about $50.

CajunBass
December 5, 2007, 09:32 PM
not associated with basic scum and Lorcins and High Points are definitely the guns of pukes.
The only thing my Hi-Point ever put holes in is paper. Does that make me a "punk" or just "scum"?

Hi-Point resale value to a dealer probably isn't more than about $50.

So? It's not for sale anyway.

BADMAN400
December 5, 2007, 09:41 PM
My friendly neighborhood gun runner sells a lot of stuff from one end of the spectrum to the other, but he rarely gets in a used Hi-Point. Either the owners must be keeping them, or the cops are taking them. :rolleyes:

fredneck
December 5, 2007, 10:11 PM
No grudge or personal animous against the gun at all, only based on experience. Occasionally we will get a Glock or HK off the street..but they're usually stolen. It's also my experience that the decent folks who have to live amongst the pukes who attempt to prey on them and who are actually interested in self defense usually have something decent like a Ruger P95 or Bersa. Not snobbery, just a fact.

Phast12
December 5, 2007, 10:33 PM
I own a Hi-Point 45 and it has functioned without issues. I honestly bought one just to see how they shoot and it does that well enough. I now use it for a camping or trunk gun since I really don’t worry about abusing it. I would not want to try and carry it concealed but I don’t have the compact and I’m not familiar with its size. I agree with others here that if you can wait a little longer and save up some more cash I would step to a different gun but, if it’s what you can afford or are only willing to pay it gets the job done. I will also say that there customer service is among the best I have ever dealt with. (Roll pins and carpet are not a good combination)

kgpcr
December 5, 2007, 11:14 PM
a highpoint is better than no gun at all! I think most of us have started out with some low end guns.

JasonJ
December 6, 2007, 01:27 AM
oh ok so because punks on the street use a certain brand of gun I shouldnt buy that brand either.. so by association of commonality youre saying im no better than those criminals. thanks.

fine then.. i just wont own any gun..since i cant afford anything higher priced (read: overpriced) than a HI-Point. soooo sorry my hi-points outshoot my friends browning hi-power, or his brothers S&W..even if it is large, heavy and unattractive.

so i'll just go back in time and tell myself not to pretend to be a criminal and buy the Hi-Point...that way i will never have been introduced to sport shooting at all..

and if i get mugged, beat up, shot in a situation where having a firearm could have saved lives.. it'll be your fault for suggesting that normal citizens arent any better than criminals for using the same brand of firearm.

if the iraqi's start using MP5's then our troops are really going to be demoralized by your statements too. man... im pissed.

gopack
December 6, 2007, 06:41 AM
:
Hi-Point resale value to a dealer probably isn't more than about $50.
So? It's not for sale anyway.

My sentiments exactly, CajunBass. I haven't bought a firearm yet for the resale value.

Don't own one, but every one I've fired has fired without problems. Best 5-round group I've done with a centerfire was with an HP .45.

Te Anau
December 6, 2007, 08:51 AM
But...if anyone has any amount of self respect they should get a firearm not associated with basic scum and Lorcins and High Points are definitely the guns of pukes.
This is absolutely ridiculous and absurd.I still own my Hi-Point BUT gladly sold my Glock 21--where does that put me?
I wonder what happens when you find a crack head with a Glock. Do you start saying any "self-respecting" person won't buy a Glock?
Or are they treated with more respect because they have a Glock?

Jbar4Ranch
December 6, 2007, 09:53 AM
But...if anyone has any amount of self respect they should get a firearm not associated with basic scum and Lorcins and High Points are definitely the guns of pukes.

Hands down, that has to be one of top three most ridiculous things I've ever read on the Web, and I can't really recall the first two right off.

BADMAN400
December 6, 2007, 10:23 AM
I needed to test out some new reloads yesterday. They were pushed a little on the high side with the charge, so I wanted to make sure I had a gun that would take a pounding, just in case.

Guess which gun I chose. My JHP 45 is rated +P+, so it took it along. The loads worked out perfectly with no pressure signs, and with great accuracy.

It had been over a year since I'd fired my HP .45, but I was pleasantly reminded how comfortable it is to shoot with it's extra slide weight, and how accurate it is with it's stationary barrel.

The gun ran flawlessy. When I got home, I reloaded both mags with Corbon DPX and put the JHP 45 back into it's hiding place to be used for emergency SD/HD.

Crooks use them because they're cheap and they work. It just so happens I do for the same reason also. Say what you want about the low price or even the looks. But what works, works! Besides I kinda like that "Planet of the Apes" look. ;)

And if I had to shoot in self-defense, at least the LEO wouldn't be impounding an XD-45, or one of my more expensive 1911's, etc as evidence. :cool:

Perldog007
December 6, 2007, 10:50 AM
Fredneck I gotta call you on this one cousin. I have never been a "real cop" I was sworn in as a Special in D.C. and I walked public housing. I was a registered SO in Virginia where such empowers you to arrest for pc misdemeanors and misdemeanors committed in your presence.

First of all, if you don't realize that generally you are talking to the bottom of the criminal food chain when you are wearing tin you might want to ponder that. (the smart ones generally avoid the rank and file)

Second of all, prohibited persons either get their weapons from straw buys or theft. Hi Points unfortunately lend themselves to the straw buy due to price and they are likely popular in low income areas where police manpower is dispersed so as to give the burglar a greater chance of success.

In other words, it is easier to break into an apartment and steal whatever cheap gun is there than it is to defeat a security alarm, neighborhood watch/nosy neighbors/ gun safe and score a wilson 1911.

I am not really sure of how much self respect I have compared to the next joe, but I bought my Hi point for a range gun and it has been reliable enough (if properly cared for by underloading those cheap mags) to sit on the nightstand next to the obligatory mossberg.

Then I bought the compact 9mm and after 200 rounds it is about 400 more rounds away from rating high enough to carry.

If that makes me scum in your book I can live with that. I don't really think a forum member will be breaking into my crib anywho. I hope nobody does. If they do and my path is blocked that Hi Point will give me the confidence to try and resolve it peacefully.

If that fails I know it shoots straight on demand. What else matters? I can tell you I won't throw it away when I pick up my ruger next week.

fredneck
December 6, 2007, 09:24 PM
Again, my intent was not to disparage ALL owners of Hi Points just pointing out my experience with the ilk that USUALLY have them.

But one more time...for God Sakes get a Ruger or Bersa.

Perldog007
December 7, 2007, 07:44 AM
When I walked the projects (circa 1992) the bad guy special was usually a .38 special service revolver. D.C. had just transitioned to the GLock 17 and many surrounding departments had also abandoned the .38. "Junk" guns like the raven chrome .25 were next in popularity.

I guess the service revolver had earned enough respect to dodge the stigma. It seems odd to me that Hi Points have gotten this rap. I have heard comments at my range from off duty types. They get quiet when the target comes out to the counter.

Seems like they wander over to the rows of shotgun shells and take interest in the artwork on the box at that point.

Fair is fair, but when you basically say that a person buying a hi point lacks self respect that is going to elicit a response. Too many of them are sold for even a small majority to be owned by pukes.

"Buy a (insert brand name here)" : Horsefeathers! I used to own a functional but ratty looking old Ballister Molina .45. It was known at my range as the "baloney molestor".

At S.O. quals we were at Shooter's Paradise in Woodbridge. Two candidates ran up to the counter and put down for HK USP .45s like the instructor had. After the scores were in the book, these two were bragging about how well their guns did. The instructor showed them my ratty Ballister and informed them that they had fallen short.

He was, and I am trying to make the point that brand name and percieved quality of the weapon do not make up for operator competence. In a bad situation I would rather have a Security Officer with a Hi Point who practiced and competed than one with an HK that shoots once a year at quals.

I have to challenge the advice to "save up and get something better". Rubbish. Get your butt to class and the range. Practice. Find out what night the match is. Be there, learn to shoot under pressure of competition. If the worst happens, what is going to give you the best chance:

A.) Hi Point you are schooled and practiced with in your possesion.

B.) Sig 220 (great gun IMHO) in your imagination that you are saving up for.

C.) the balance in your savings account that is almost enough to buy the Sig.

Call me an @$$#0L3, (go ahead everyone does) but I am going with option A.

I am waiting for a disbursement of unexpected renumeration. The funds will likely go towards a Ruger p345. For the price of that gun a novice could buy a Hi Point, a range membership and some ammo. Or the Hi Point, a good class and some more practice ammo and in some places pay the permit fee.

It depends on how much money you have to play with. When I got my Hi Point I was not bare handed. I could have saved and bought a brand name. But all the keyboard commandos piqued my interest. Now I have two and will own more.

Hi Points are a value. Google "Cheap guns are good enough" by Massad Ayoob. Then tell us about saving up and waiting for something better.

When you ponder the Statistics out of the Lott and Mustard study, the number of times that armed citizens stop criminals by just having a gun, how many do you think are nighthawk customs and how many do you think are "junk guns"?

So if they only crooks you can catch are the ones with the cheap guns, I feel for you son. I got 99 problems and a pimp ain't one.

My luck was pretty much the same. No matter how much I fantasized or now matter how many action movies I watched in my off duty time, I could never seem to arrest the arch villain with the matching pair of gold plated Desert Eagles.

At least Security Guards only have to stand on the weapon until the real cops get there. Spared me from having to handle those horrible bad guy pistols.

If you are in the old Dominion you know about area 220 in Fairfax County. Yes I had zinc and chrome under my bates once or twice waiting for the officials.

SO yes, if you have the money to buy a quality weapon, take a class, practice and compete, get your permit and some nice holsters - skip the Hi Point unless funds for a back up are tight. I don't mean a second concealed gun, I mean one to hold if your primary needs to be away for repair or if you have to use it and it is in an evidence room.

If you are like most of America and not rolling in dough, check out a Hi Point.
Already got plenty of nice guns? No need for a Hi Point unless the concept appeals to you.

YMMV

wolfdog45
December 7, 2007, 09:41 AM
Wasn't the Thompson submachinegun used by Gangsters? When it was first introduced a lot of people thought it was ugly and didn't like it because the
bad guy's liked to use them. They were heavy and ugly to some, but it worked and it worked well.
Same thing about Hi Points. I don't own a Hi Point handgun but I do own the 995 carbine and the only problem I ever had from it was a broken mag spring.
Which Hi Point replaced with two new magazines for free no questions asked.

SpookBoy
December 7, 2007, 01:32 PM
Not another hi point thread?!? j/k

i own a 995 carbine and the c9, neve a jam and never a hiccup, in almost twice what i spent on the guns i've used in ammo. and if im in the woods or camping/fishing im gonna be alot more content if i loose/damage a hi-point over a more expensive firearm. if that means i have no self respect then that is not the first time i've heard b.s. from a cop, and it wont be the last!:barf:

Perldog007
December 8, 2007, 09:54 AM
Well our values and opinions are formed by experience and empirical data more often than reason and logic. I have to cut some slack to the Haters of Hi Points.

One "adverse" individual earlier in this thread posted something in another thread about the "profile" of prospective buyers he had observed. Clearly deeper issues here than quibbles about design or quality. This brother is beyond clearing his issue up through forum discussion.

There was another hostile to the Hi Point concept because of returns and problems at his store. Magazine problems are almost always the case from what I have experienced first hand. Some selling skill, expectation management, and hand holding could mitigate that, depends on your individual business model.

Me, I would try to walk them through calling the phone techs at Hi Point, tweaking their mags and explaining that this was a trade off. Possibly motivating them to save for a better gun while they got proficient with the Hi Point. Since I have never tried to run a gun store that is easy for me to say.

In the case of a Law Dog the things experienced at work become your reality. I can understand the way fredneck feels, but I still feel the need for rebuttal. Alot of what cops say can seem like BS to outsiders. To those of us outside looking in it is BS because it ain't our world.

Still I don't think it is productive to berate any American for choosing a low priced firearm. Their reasons for doing so may be valid. Mine weren't, I was just curious to see what was up. I already had two handguns and a shotgun. I was looking to get back into my former life as a range rat and fill holes in my collection.

I consider a 9mm, a .40 and a .45 acp mandatory items for the serious paper target engager. Now I got one of each. Since I went Hi Point for the .40 and the 9mm I also have heating oil in my tank.

I just picked up an XD in .45 last night. That does not mean I will not be getting a Hi Point .45 acp. If I can find a Hi Point .380 I will score that too and in due course the carbines.

My purpose in this thread was to find out for myself and to try and bring some logic and reasoning to the debate. Saying that Hi Points are junk because "pukes, BGs', thugs" and other labels we won't get into use them is not even remotely logical or intellectually honest.

That is the mindset of the anti gunner and I am duty bound to do what I can to oppose that.

BADMAN400
December 8, 2007, 10:16 AM
I've seen many "Hi-Point" threads over the last few years, and this one is similar to most all of the others; The ones who have the worst things to say about Hi-Points are usually the ones who have not owned or fired a Hi-Point.

When they do, it usually shuts them up. :cool:

And as far as the term "Gun Snob", IMO that just describes someone who choses a weapon more for status or high price, than for practical reasons. Therefore, I would be embarrassed to be one or be referred to as one. ;)

Perldog007
December 8, 2007, 10:38 AM
I don't know about that Badman. I have no problem with cheap guns if they work. I often carried revolvers for work when the "tacticool" thing to do was carry a doublestack whatsamajiggit in the latest hot caliber.

I am a different kind of snob. I have to confess that I harbor a particular negative prejudice towards individuals who think that brand name, price, caliber, particular load, and percieved quality of a gun are going to keep them safer than practice, continuing education and a mindset of resolving situations without combat when possible and being determined and decisive when diplomacy fails.

I often attribute mental deficiencies and moral failings to these persons when most likely the are just misinformed or uneducated. I am trying to change. This shooting sports enthusiast would opine that most humans suffer from some form of bigotry.

The thing is this. Having arrived at the certain knowledge that father time catches up with us all, one way or another, my world view has changed. A handgun can't save your life. No one gets out alive.

What arms in the hands of good people can do is save our way of life. As middle age approaches my place is no longer on the field. Fat old duffers like me are better utilized for their experience.

So even though this thread has played out many times in many forums and will again be repeated, and be repetitive within itself, it is my quest.

I am called on to debate the other snobs and work on my own baggage. Plus the word needs to get out. This company that looks after the less affluent of us needs to be supported. Hi Point needs to be known as something other than the 21st century Saturday Night special.

Also, I avoid the range on the weekend like a plague. So while I am jonesing to shoot my C9 and try out my new XD, this makes a grand pastime. :D

BADMAN400
December 8, 2007, 10:59 AM
Perldog, well said and points well taken. I stand corrected if I generalized too much, because we are in fact ALL prejudiced to one degree or another by our life experiences. I for one, am glad I was lucky enough to experience the Hi-Point line. Certainly not a Kimber or HK, but fun and reliable just the same.

To me, there are two groups; ones that think they know everything and form an unbudging opinion which they refuse to change, and then others who are willing to learn and make new decisions based on new information. You sir, seem to be of the latter persuasion, and I respect that.

And I also agree, that while this thread or it's ilk have been done to death, they are needed, especially for the newer/younger shooters to get the information out there.

I believe that if any man would carry a gun for protection/defense, or be an LEO, that person should get trained, and stay trained, less he or she become another part of the problem.

This is a mildly entertaining and educational way to spend some of that time away from the range...lol. ;)

Since I have the weekend basically to myself I think I may brave the crowds at the nearby DNR range, shoot a few rounds and try to gather some rifle brass.

Hope you all have as great a weekend as I'm gonna have. Shoot well-stay safe.

Badman :cool:

Perldog007
December 8, 2007, 11:54 AM
Stay safe out there!!! I liken shooting on Saturday to bar hopping on New Year's Eve. Amateur Night.

I think part of the problem is the GMS. That's right Gun Magazine Syndrome. Gun Magazines are mostly one giant advertisement. It becomes the professional duty of writers who know better to convince us that a better gun, a better round, a better holster will endow us with Navy Seal like lethality if the worst comes.

Thusly equipped with our latest gear anointed by the scribes we can then expect to carry the day, save the world and get the girl (or other object of desire).

I grew up in a household controlled by brain damaged liberals. Though they were loved my parents were hide bound on the issue of unilateral personal disarmament.

All I had was Guns & Ammo. Ross Seyfried and Colonel Cooper were my religous leaders.

It is so easy to fall prey to the glossy pages and lofty buttery prose promoting this or that. Selling cars we learned that causing discontent with the current is the way to sell a replacement.

We should be highly reasoned thoughtful citizens when we bear arms. The general goal of the gun press seems to be turning us into gullets that consume product and crap cash. That's what money does.

Hi points are lower priced. That means more people can get them. It means you are more likely to find them in poor neighborhoods than Kimbers.

It also means that If you work at Wal Mart or 7/11 you may be able to squeeze out enough to buy one and make yourself less of a sheep. This makes it better for all of us.

Now the Hi Points are finally getting some favorable press from the rags, including that one with no advertising. Hopefully those of us who have owned carried and shot for years will keep spreading the word.

These ugly bricks shoot and shoot well. If you are the victim of a deadly assault a Hi Point in your hand statistically will provide a significantly higher probability of survival than the money in the coffee can being saved for a "quality" gun.

Training, skill, and mindset mean more than brand name. Avoiding the conflict is better yet. No guarantees in a fight, anything can happen. Doing all you can do to avoid it is a sound idea.

I have had a soft spot for cheap guns since reading Jan Libourel back in the day. That writer did what G&A made him do promoting the goals of the almighty advertising dollar. Still he never missed a chance to promote the cheap guns that the poor could afford advertising or no.

I personally knew a young man (actually a child at the time) who thwarted haters getting ready to firebomb his occupied home by taking aim with an R.G. .38. His family could afford nothing more. Should they have been burned out of their house and possibly killed because they couldn't afford a Smith & Wesson?

Could young Tink (his nickname) have scared them off by yelling "Don't do it, my parents are saving up for a high quality home defense gun"?

Like me, Jan had some experience in the poor neighborhoods. He knew that most of the residents are decent people. People who deserve a chance to defend themselves. Hi Point provides them that chance.

Those of you who are not brain dead will realize after some thought that these individuals in high poverty areas are the front line against gangs, thugs, and drugs.

We should support their right to be armed which is curtailed in many cities and support availability of guns they can afford.

December 9, 2007, 10:31 PM
I have on, I have put 1000-2000 rds through it. Did a tactial dance a couple time with it. Then it just started to jam, so I retired it. Moved on to S&W M&P 9mm. Oh Im in lalalal land!!

My husband bought me the highpoint to see if I would get interested in shooting. I am interested and learning great things. It is better to not spend 800+ dollars, only to find your rather be playing golf.

Highpoint is a good gun to start, but like anything, its fun to trade up, go better. There is vast choices for that to happen.:)

Perldog007
December 10, 2007, 01:54 PM
So I go to the range today and set down my case with the key to the padlock on the counter and head to the fridge in the back for a bottle O' water.

(mandatory check in at my local range, all cased unloaded -shooters have to assume felon prone, etc - insurance regulations)

The owner is opening my case and a statie walks up and starts having verbal kittens over my Hi Point. He includes a statement on how glad he is that the state buys sigs for the lads in grey.

The store owner, a former statie, informed him that the owner of the Hi Point would likely outshoot most of the troop - the high price of the Sigs in their holsters notwithstanding. The commentator expresses disbelief and receives an open invitation to the Charity shoot on thursday nights.

If that guy shows my 25-5 gets the night off out comes the zinc brick! :D

JasonJ
December 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
right on perdog! way to represent! honestly.. i feel as far as cheap guns go, the Hi-Point is more dependant on shooters ability than anything to be accurate.

in posting with the hi-point owners forum for quite some time, and other forums as well, it seems the gun often outshoots the shooter.

so congratulations.

Perldog007
December 11, 2007, 12:47 AM
Actually I hope the man comes. He could use the practice and my ego could use a break from being spanked by all the Rob Leatham middle aged wannabe's with their $2000.00 1911s that they have tuned and found magic handloads for.

If I don't find some cops or security guards to pick on soon, my skills are going to have to come way up :D

The shoot is for charity, there is no formal breakdown in the scoring. But just like locker rooms people look. We have shooters that angst over 9 ring hits.

They cut me slack for being new and having a revolver, I don't have to show sorrow until I drift into the seven ring :cool:

But the day of the Hi Point is coming!!! prolly next two weeks I will take the JCP to charity night and see if I can't get some pics of gun snobs barfing, targets shot, etc. .

JasonJ
December 11, 2007, 02:29 AM
i would LOVE to see how well it does.. since its already been established that you shoot the JCP well..

on the best of days, i can get 4-6" groups at 25yds with my JHP (the 45acp).. which i hear is good.. but i dunno.. seems it should do better..but then again, ive been shooting for all but 2 yrs.

now my buckmark.. with std. vel. ammo... 10 rounds.. 3 discernable holes at 25yds or less.

Perldog007
December 11, 2007, 08:17 AM
I ran a 294 on the ppc using k5 with the JCP. Not going to scare the match crowd round here but really good for me.

My point is not how well I shoot (because I don't unless you compare me in a crowd of Cops and Guards) but that the High Point shoots well.

I will take mine to a match soon, but I would really like to see what a crack shot does with it. I am not talking about somebody like me that only looks good say during quals. (shooting around other security guards) I mean somebody who gets props from regular competitors.

JasonJ sounds like you are ready to find a match night somewhere. If you can hold smaller than 6" offhand at 25 yards time for the next level.

I have read on these threads that IDPA with the "Point" would be interesting.

I Like matches and Hi Points . Both can make you a better shooter IMHO.
combining the two makes sense.

Perhaps that is what we need, and army of blue collar pukes out invading match night with Hi Points..... yesssss.

It is hard going from top dog to BIAATCH all at once, but the better shooters you can find to compete with the more it pushes you. When I outshoot the Hi Point I can complain.

Perldog007
December 14, 2007, 07:20 PM
So I always do some weakhand work at the range. Every now and then I get a wild hair and shoot the whole PPC weak hand unsupported.

Was having trouble scoring my target today and thought I actually cut over 240 weak handed only. So I took it to the counter where a kid who shoots every match night was giving me a hand counting holes and double holes.

This fellow walks over and says "Not bad, not bad at all for a gun like yours (Hi Point C9), just think when you get a better gun.."

The clerk cuts him off and says "This was shot with his weak hand unsupported for time and range".

"Oh". Said the expert. There ended the expert commentary. Don't blame them though. I still haven't gotten over a cheap pistol that always outshoots me.

The weak handed only score was 252 (we think) and normal course was 298 today with the C9 this thing is growing on me.

A few rounds past the recommended 300 round cleaning mark and had to use the "Hi Point Smack" three times today. Maybe think about cleaning this gun sometime.....

JohnKSa
December 14, 2007, 09:09 PM
I am a different kind of snob. I have to confess that I harbor a particular negative prejudice towards individuals who think that brand name, price, caliber, particular load, and percieved quality of a gun are going to keep them safer...I must say that I enjoy taking inexpensive "off-brand" guns to matches and being competitive.

I can't bring myself to shell out for a Hi-Point though... Although if I did, it probably wouldn't be the cheapest gun I own. I've got a Swedish Mauser I paid $65 for. :D

Perldog007
December 14, 2007, 09:40 PM
I've got a Swedish Mauser I paid $65 for.

Now that is a catch. And in a totally different league than the "Point".

I am getting pressure from the staff to bring the JCP to next Thursday's match.

We shall see. I don't have mag carriers but since it is a Point should be able to get a waiver to stick them in a pocket or belt :cool:

The shoot is for charity and giggles, whopping eight dollar fee - mostly idpa like drills on a square range, some movement involved.

John, stay away from Hi Point, they are a sickness. I find myself keeping one handy at home while my Smith .45 LC and XD .45 collect dust. My 25-5 is a primo match gun and the JCP .40 goes next time.

Still, on an informally timed ppc 7 to 25 yards (informally timed by an old fart squinting at his wristwatch yelling "GO" and "HO") I scored marginally higher with the C9 than the XD .45.

Me I had to get one because of the snobs bashing them. If you can live without it - probably better off. They can be addictive. I have a smith trying to carve up McCormick 1911 mags to match the Hi Point cut out... madness, have three holsters for my Points, more madness. Spare yourself.

dukenukum
December 15, 2007, 03:41 PM
I own two hi-points in .45 and will own a carbine soon why? because they work here is a typical match i go to haw haw what a p.o.s gun i will mop up the range
with you after shooting I get accused of cheating , devil worship ect. for posting as good a score as others sheesh. and my carry gun is a hi point .45

jsflagstad
December 23, 2007, 04:16 PM
I have 4 Hi Points, 9mm and 40 S&W pistols and 9mm and 40 S&W carbines. Thousands of rounds though each and no real major problems to write about. I have more expensive guns as well, but the Hi Points are just plain fun to shoot.

Out of teh box, mine all shot pretty good. I did some things to mine that make them shoot a bit better now, really no different than one my do to just about any other gun.

If you don't atleast try one out, you are missing out. Some people act like they can catch some sort of virus just from handling one. That makes me laugh....:D

JSF

Perldog007
December 23, 2007, 05:37 PM
I am afraid I am doomed to own all of them. After I get a .22 (still wavering between a mkIII 22/45 for cheap practice or a pt22 for BUG/deep concealment) next month the next one is a JCP, then the carbines, then the .380. Maybe the .380 will stay scarce. Stores around here can't get them.

The price difference between my C9 and my xd is a range membership and 1000 rounds of ammo plus a decent paddle holster and a few extra mags. The value, accuracy, simplicity appeal to me. So does American made. Nobody has to make a gun that affordable, I am glad somebody does.

They are expensive out my way. You have to buy, ship and transfer them. That makes a .40 or .45 210 USD OTD. I am seriously thinking about joining IDPA next year and competing with the JCP in '09. It is not elgible for Service Pistol, so it will have to enhanced.

Will work on marksmanship next year and see how it goes. The state troopers here carry Sigs. There are a bunch of Sig snobs and High end pistol owners at my range. PT92s' get sneered at. My 'Points get laughed at until they see them shoot. Would love to hone my skill high enough to do that at the local IDPA shoots.

shinnery jim
January 11, 2008, 02:49 PM
I dont think they are ugly, maybe not purty, but not ugly. yes I own one. actually I own 4, and yes they are a sickness, I want some more. I have a 380, a 40, and a 45, and also a 9 mm carbine too.
they shoot where I point them better than most of the guns I own or have owned. I have a bunch of guns and like shooting them all but the Hi points are more fun and more reliable than any of the other slide guns I have had. And that does include the 1911A1 I love so much.
you talk about not trusting your life to a "cheap" gun, I trust my hi points to take care of me if the need comes up. Not because they are cheap or American made or anything other than I have worked with them and they are dependable. they hit where I aim and I know they will go bang when I pull the trigger. I have never had a failure to fire, or eject in any of mine so far.And I cant say that for any other slide gun I have owned. To me that means I dont have to wonder if when it is time to stop the guy coming in my house will I be able to get that secound shot off if there is anyother one behind him? I know it will shoot not jam.
brand is nice, but I wnat a gun that goes bang every time over big name.
so far the hi point has done that for me better than the big name sooooo

DENALI
January 11, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hi-point pistols fill a niche, a service cartridge niche. These pistols like Ruger,Tauras, and the other low pricepoint producer's bring serious service cartridge power to those who otherwise could not afford it. I cannot say they are beautiful but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder isn't it. I have heard from a good source who sells firearms for a living that these pistols are as reliable as any of the pistols from Ruger and indeed that would not surprise me as they are similarly manufactured. Does that imply they are as good! Not likely, Ruger and Tauras handguns are more refined and that is readily apparent upon examination. Generally folks who can't or won't pay much aquire firearms like these and as long as they are reliable and reasonably accurate well worth there modest cost. Further, often these same shooters will take the next step up in quality to perhaps a Ruger or maybe Tauras as there economic position improves. The most important factor is of course availability, and this is the niche that these pistols fill. Good folks who otherwise couldn't afford a service cartridge pistol for personal defense can with one of these lower priced alternatives do just that, and there's no reason to look down your nose at that....:)

JasonJ
January 11, 2008, 11:58 PM
^ all true good points.

do realize that although a ruger is more refined, and it is, it also costs twice as much.

im sure if Hi-Point set their price point to $229 instead of $129, they could seriously upgrade their pistols.

Perldog007
January 14, 2008, 12:58 PM
Good folks who otherwise couldn't afford a service cartridge pistol for personal defense can with one of these lower priced alternatives do just that, and there's no reason to look down your nose at that....

Well, that seems to be the issue. Some folks think that poor people or individuals of modest financial means can not be good people. There is even one post in this thread forwarding the position that if you can only afford one hundred dollars to defend your life why bother?

Some people, even those who sell guns have a hard time telling the difference between a person who is an ethnic, racial or religious minority and a gangster, thug or terrorist.

One clerk told me that all pistols costing less than three hundred dollars are "homeboy" guns. If I felt that way it would be hard for me to deal wth the public. Sorry for this lad should we all be feeling.

After a thousand rounds through my two Hi Points (that's the 9mm and .40 combined) I still like them. For an entry pistol maybe - still think a .22 is a good first gun. Cheap enough to shoot that one may practice.

Still believe that a home defense gun that will not see a bunch of practice time should be a .38/.357 possibly .327 revolver. The pistol is less forgiving and requires more practice.

If one has to have a pistol in a "major" caliber, money is tight, the Hi Point may be acceptable.

Not really a beginners gun, it is a pistol and compared to more expensive ones knowledge and ability to tinker are more important with the hi Point than say a ruger or XD.

I bought my .40 for a cheap range gun and it does that very well. Not a bad woods gun, use my C9 for that all the time. Not my first choice for carry or defense but it holding one in my hand do not feel unarmed. Both of mine go bang and make holes just like the more expensive guns.

Since the warranty is no quesitons asked as range guns they rule. With better magazines and more knowledge of their longevity or lack thereof better I could evaluate their suitability for social purposes. At this point I am saying carry one as a last resort.

If you are getting a gun for cc or work I hope you can buy something in the range of 4-6 hundred dollars. If you can't there is always the 'point.

IdahoG36
January 14, 2008, 10:49 PM
CLOSE THIS POINTLESS THREAD ALREADY!!!!!!!:mad:

Constantine1911
January 14, 2008, 11:21 PM
Hi-Points ARE good guns if you need a cheap handgun.

CajunBass
January 15, 2008, 08:45 AM
But one more time...for God Sakes get a Ruger or Bersa.

I've already got four Rugers, and one Bersa.

And a Hi-Point.

CLOSE THIS POINTLESS THREAD ALREADY!!!!!!!

Why? Everyone else seems to be enjoying it. Noboby has gotten ugly that I've noticed. It's certainly no worse than the average XD vs Glock vs 1911 discussion.

Constantine1911
January 15, 2008, 10:22 AM
Exactly, why is everyone on several forums alwasays posting....CLOSE THIS THREAD. Like it's making you have a headache or something, this is a discussion on a gun that needs to be discussed for someone that needs information from OWNERS:cool:

Te Anau
January 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
Exactly, why is everyone on several forums alwasays posting....CLOSE THIS THREAD. Like it's making you have a headache or something, this is a discussion on a gun that needs to be discussed for someone that needs information from OWNERS
People hate getting the truth about something they don't believe in.

w_houle
January 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
I think it's funny because the gun shop I usually buy from sells me Glock, Smith, Beretta, Taurus... or whatever, but when I had expressed an interest in a Hi-Point I was told not to bother because only African Americans (which is NOT the term actually used) buy them so I ended up having to buy it from another store at roughly $60 cheaper, and now I have a new place to buy from

dalegribble
January 15, 2008, 07:58 PM
Kinda funny that gun owners, 2nd amendment people, america first people routinly diss an american made product with a lifetime guarantee like the hi point. People won't buy ruger because of their political stand on hi cap guns as well, and who could be more pro 2nd ammendment than a gun company. Yet these same people buy anything that is imported just because it is imported and has that paris hilton cache about it and then brag about the great customer service they got when they had to return the gun for repairs. Hi Point is kinda like the timex of guns, it isn't a rolex but it was never ment to be a rolex but when you need to know what time it is who the hell cares as long as the time is correct. There are alot of people that wouldn't be caught dead wearing a timex watch or shooting a hi point gun but would'nt be offended if a timex watch kept them on time or a hi point gun saved their butt. Get over it, hi points are cheap, they work and if you have a problem they have a lifetime guarantee. The End.

wingman
January 16, 2008, 09:16 AM
I have a 40cal carbine,functions perfect, accurate and super fun what's not to like.:D

Perldog007
January 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
Stopped by the gunsmith yesterday. He still has not modified the magazine cut out in my McCormick 1911 mag to match the cut out in my JCP .40 Hi Point mag.

THe 1911 mag fits into the Hi Point mag well, and if held in place will chamber a round from slide lock in the safety notch by tripping the safety. If the 1911 mags could be made to function in the Hi Point - as one poster on the Hi Point forums says they can - then we have something.

The Magazines are the cause of the overwhelming majority of problems reported with Hi Points. Finding reliable magazines makes them a very smart buy.

Hopefully the mag will be finished in a month and we will have a range report.

shinnery jim
January 16, 2008, 01:32 PM
perldog, I am handy with my tools and I took a 1911 mag and modified it to fit the Hi Point. It works fine and I like it

Perldog007
January 16, 2008, 04:54 PM
Cool news. My kitchen table gunsmithing is like 1 for three - so I farmed it out.

Can't wait to get it back and post some pics and targets, shocked onlookers, etc.

I may be the first Idiot in the first state to shoot IDPA with a 'Point yet.... stay tuned.

STAGE 2
January 16, 2008, 06:18 PM
Kinda funny that gun owners, 2nd amendment people, america first people routinly diss an american made product with a lifetime guarantee like the hi point.

A lifetime guarantee really doesn't mean anything. In the hi-points case its an excuse to cut every corner possible. A gun should be judged on its merits alone and not any extraneous factors that comes with it such as numebr of mags, holsters, warranties etc. I can guarantee you that if the hi-point had no such warranty, they wouldn't sell nearly as many guns as they do.

People won't buy ruger because of their political stand on hi cap guns as well, and who could be more pro 2nd ammendment than a gun company.

You can run a gun company and not respect the 2nd easily. Many out there do.

Yet these same people buy anything that is imported just because it is imported and has that paris hilton cache about it and then brag about the great customer service they got when they had to return the gun for repairs.

Unsupported assumption. HK, Glock, Beretta and Walther don't sell pistols because they are imported. They sell because they do what they were designed to do very well. Thats their corner. Hi-points corner is its price. Not quality, not ergonomics, not performance, but price.

Hi Point is kinda like the timex of guns, it isn't a rolex but it was never ment to be a rolex but when you need to know what time it is who the hell cares as long as the time is correct.

In order to earn a reputation similar to that a timex, the hi-point would have to have a stellar reputation for reliability. Simply put, they don't.

There are alot of people that wouldn't be caught dead wearing a timex watch or shooting a hi point gun but would'nt be offended if a timex watch kept them on time or a hi point gun saved their butt. Get over it, hi points are cheap, they work and if you have a problem they have a lifetime guarantee. The End.

A lifetime guarantee doesn't do much when the pistol malfunctions when you need it.

w_houle
January 16, 2008, 07:51 PM
"A lifetime guarantee doesn't do much when the pistol malfunctions when you need it."
That's any gun

Perldog007
January 16, 2008, 08:05 PM
I can guarantee you that if the hi-point had no such warranty, they wouldn't sell nearly as many guns as they do.

NO argument here. For a range gun or plinker, this is hard to beat. The gun breaks - they fix it free. Katrina flood damage - fix it free. One guy at the Hi Point forum had a feed ramp crack from presumably bad metallurgy - fix it free.

Without the warranty I would have never bought one.

Hi-points corner is its price. Not quality, not ergonomics, not performance, but price.

Mostly true. There are other cheap guns out there, the Cobra 32/380 comes to mind. The Hi Point is the Cadillac of the junkers.

I think there should be guns that can be purchased by folks who work at Wal Mart. Some people think the poor do not deserve protecting. Most likely myself and those who think that way will never agree.

I don't see anything wrong with lowering the economic bar to the shooting sports. Bad guys will get guns no matter what. More good guys are needed. Not all people with money are good, not all poor people are bad.

Low cost and ugliness and stone age ergos aside, Hi Points are much more accurate than the price would indicate.

In order to earn a reputation similar to that a timex, the hi-point would have to have a stellar reputation for reliability. Simply put, they don't.

Here we have to agree to disagree. Hi Point has a cult following including many like myself that own "better" guns. They work. If'n they don't the company makes good on them, everytime, no matter what.

As I posted earlier in the thread Smith & Wesson, Colt, Taurus, are just a few of the brands that have resulted in a no bang condition when trigger pulled in my own hand over the last quarter century. So far both of my 'Points have outlasted my S&W 29 from '82.

The magazines are cheap and crude, the feed ramps painted. These shortcomings are easily overcome. I would have never tried to polish a feed ramp on a 500-1000 dollar pistol. Did so on my.40, knowing even if I botched it I could get it repaired free.

The Hi Point appeals to tinkerers. To those on a budget. To people who want a cheap tackle box or truck gun.

A lifetime guarantee doesn't do much when the pistol malfunctions when you need it.

Well since mine are range guns and woods guns, yes it does. It means that if my Hi Points break at the range, I mail them back and get them fixed. The factory throws in a new mag to cover shipping. That is what the lifetime guarantee does. If I sell it to somebody, they get the same warranty no questions.

Many much more expensive guns offer no such warranty. Why? are they afraid their guns will break? Hi Point is not. The guy who had the Katrina gun also had a S&W model 19 damaged in the flood. All S&W would do is tell him the gun was not repairable. Hi point told him no matter how the gun was damaged, they would repair it.

So for a range gun which is the better policy from the consumer's prospective? Clearly Hi Point.

I have not found any reports of anybody perishing because the Hi Point failed them when they needed it. Perhaps somebody can find the news article and we can mull over it. At the same time we have to establish that none of the high dollar guns have ever failed - oh wait!, we can't do that because all have had their failures.

All guns break. I think what we are arguing about is how often the Hi Points break. I am saying for a range gun/plinker they work great. I keep mine handy at home, along with pricier items.

I know it might break, because other more expensive guns have also broken on me. The probability is that it will work like it does in practice which is to say well. That kind of brings home the BUG theory. Always have/carry a back up.

You can run a gun company and not respect the 2nd easily. Many out there do.

to the best of my knowledge, Hi Point does notrespect the Second Amendment. That merits consideration.

Perldog007
January 20, 2008, 08:28 PM
^^^^^^^^er... that should say "respect the 2nd.." _DOH_

Put the sixth box of WWb through the C9 today.

Magazine lack of quality is showing, my "problem" mag which never held all 8 rounds caused a fte/ftf jam that dropped a live round on the floor clearing it and the score on my 60 round modified ppc course down to 293 of 300 as I also dropped two into the seven ring. (7,15,20,25 yards with weak hand work and timed)

Other two mags are doing fine. The C9 is still stupidly accurate and lots of fun.

Have not decided whether to apply my pre-school level mechanical engineering skills and try to fix the mag or send it back.

Still, the C9 has been more reliable than my NIB S&W model 29 (stretched out of time in less than 500 factory rounds), my NIB pt99 (bad extractor, nice single shot club) or my used Dick Special (Broken mainspring after about 350 rounds).

Should pick up the modified 1911 mag for the .40 at the end of the week and hopefully have a range report next week.

Shoot Safe :D

EastSideRich
January 20, 2008, 11:51 PM
Took my permit to carry class today. The instructor brought about 15 pistols to class for demonstration and for students to use. One happened to be a Hi Point (a C9 I think - 9mm). He referred to it as a Saturday night special, commented on it's price, quality, weight and reputation. He did mention he didn't really like his, but had never had a problem with it.
I actually ran 6 rounds through it and didn't really care for it. Didn't care for how it felt in my hand, or how it shot (just didn't feel right), although it was reasonably accurate.

What is funny to me is one of the other two guys in the class, who didn't have a pistol of his own and was only using the instructors guns, was the first to shoot the HP - also the first pistol he shot for some reason. On his third round the gun jammed.

I just thought it a little ironic in light of this thread and the instructors mention of how his had never malfunctioned. We are in MN, and the temp was right around 0 F (it was at a gun club without only outdoor ranges, so we shot outside to qualify), so maybe the cold played some part.
Ironic, none the less.

Also, You're not kidding about the magazines.

JRAR78
January 21, 2008, 05:13 AM
HI-Point - I would never use one as a CCW but if your looking for a fun plinker/target gun you cant beat the price !

Perldog007
January 21, 2008, 08:23 AM
Didn't care for how it felt in my hand, or how it shot (just didn't feel right), although it was reasonably accurate.

You ain't kidding there either. I am pretty accurate on the quals with my Hi Point C9, but it took some work to find a grip where my trigger finger did not get numb from being slammed into the bottom of the trigger guard.

Also after I got off the range yesterday, one of the counter guys wanted me to try the trigger on a PT1911 ss. I am glad I triple checked the weapon for ammo, because it seemed to drop the hammer as soon as I touched the trigger.

Of course that was after 120 rounds with the 10-12 lb trigger on the C9.

Strangely enough, the .40 with a hogue handall feels pretty good to my hand and I shoot much higher scores with it than some other pistols and revolvers with better triggers. But that C9 is a horrid little beast. Accurate though.

I got into them because even though I only shoot 6-7k rounds a year, got tired of paying for repairs. Also want to do some reloading. All other warranties I see seem to specify factory ammo only.

Have to confess, I do carry mine around my property some. The .40 with tested magazines and loads resides in a secure fashion just inside the door we use most. A Sigma .40 is on the want list to replace that function.

The C9 with ball ammo and trusted magazines is my main woods gun for now, hope to upgrade this year to a .38 service revolver.

I can envision carrying one of my Hi Points only if going somewhere that the gun will have to be left in the car. (say if I am back in VA going to a restaurant that serves alchohol where they won't allow OC)

As I replenish my collection the 'Points will most likely be relegated strictly to range and plinking.

Constantine1911
January 21, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hi-Point will probably be my next gun if not a 22 rifle from Wally World:cool:

lslubecki
January 24, 2008, 11:51 PM
I bought a 9mm and a 45acp. Both are very accurate but the 45 much more accurate than the 9mm. My wife even shoots x's with the 45. Not a concealed carry unless you use a back pack. Heavy, ugly, cheap, shoots great, cheap. Shoot it and never clean it. When it stop firing send it in for repair and get an extra mag. Free.

I kept all my mags loaded full. It weakened the spring and has worked flawlessly. I reload the 9 and 45 hot and still works great. Still ugly, still accurate.

My Taurus 607 cylinder fell out when loading ammo. Still a great gun and I paid more for it than both hi-points.

I prefer my PT140 and Firestorm 45 for comfort but still shoot the hi-points every couple months.

Constantine1911
January 26, 2008, 12:27 PM
That's what ive heard about the Hi Point 45 but oh well the C9 is just too comfortable to pass up.

Perldog007
January 26, 2008, 04:12 PM
Mine are like stunt doubles for the more costly guns in the collection.

bobn1955
January 26, 2008, 05:58 PM
Shoot it and never clean it. When it stop firing send it in for repair and get an extra mag. Free.

That sounds great, :), though it seems kinda like a dirty trick to pull on the company!

Perldog, you said:

Still believe that a home defense gun that will not see a bunch of practice time should be a .38/.357 possibly .327 revolver. The pistol is less forgiving and requires more practice.

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this. Espcially the .357, that's a lot of gun if you are not used to it. And revolvers require a double action trigger or cocking. Why would that be preferable to a pistol?

PS: How does a career encompass being a code monkey and an SO? Pretty unusual, I'd think, but very interesting. (BTW, perl is my favorite programming language.)

Te Anau
January 26, 2008, 06:51 PM
Not quality, not ergonomics, not performance, but price.
Lets address these points.
"Not quality".The Hi-Point is well made for its intended purpose.Polymer frame and steel barrel are very common these days and Zamak manufacturing for the slide is very hi tech .The SIG Mosquito is made very similar to the Hi-Point and yet it gets a thumbs up just because its a SIG.And the Mosquito is a total joke price wise.$$$$$

"not ergonomics".My comp-9 Hi-Point is extremely ergonomic and could teach a Glock something about sitting well in a hand all day long.

"Not performance".This is a mystery to me,as my Hi-Point (being a blow back operation) will out shoot most of my other guns with the exception of my CZ-75.Reliability is stellar.What else do you need?

These arguments are frequently raised by those who have very little or no experience with Hi-Point as a line.Owners know it's a bunch of BS.

Perldog007
January 27, 2008, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this. Espcially the .357, that's a lot of gun if you are not used to it. And revolvers require a double action trigger or cocking. Why would that be preferable to a pistol?

Well, the general rule is that a minimally trained operator is better off with the revolver as the administrative tasks of loading and unloading tend to be more straightforward.

The heavy double action pull is again considered an asset with the minimally trained operator. Requires a bit more effort to fire the revolver.

The .357 is not a good cartridge to start with but cost aside the .38 special is.

A target wadcutter from a .357 wouldn't kick much more than a .22 from some platforms but would arguably serve better for defense.

A wide range of loads from .38 S&W to .38 sp, .38 sp +p, 357 mag could be used for different purposes.

As stated, a general rule. Some just prefer pistols before they even pick one up. Seems that today plenty of folks are getting pistols for a first handgun. More folks taking safety classes too.

I don't think it's bad to start with a pistol, just think in most cases a revolver is a better start if it can be done that way.

PS: How does a career encompass being a code monkey and an SO? Pretty unusual, I'd think, but very interesting. (BTW, perl is my favorite programming language.)

Sometimes the people you deal with when you code will drive you to take a job all up in the areas they will not be found in under any circumstances. :) Made a nice working hiatus twice for me. Did SO a bunch before coding. Too much office makes one long for the street. Too much street makes an office look a bit better than it did when you left.

Perldog007
January 27, 2008, 06:13 PM
The .40 JCP has come into it's own. After polishing the feed ramp, slightly sanding the feed lips, and wearing the springs in by leaving the mags loaded, the .40 is now functioning flawlessly with fully loaded mags.

The C9 is showing signs of two magazines needing tweaking. Will get a nice pair of needle nose pliers and give it a go.

Fired 30 rounds from each of my pistols at a B8 25 yard rapid fire target today. Of course the 22/45 scored highest, followed by the JCP .40, then the C9, the XD with wwb came in last. I think better ammo would change that. The XD really likes gold dots.

fiVe
January 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
Perldog007:

Thanks for your post. I will be following your "list" to get my .40 caliber up to par.

JasonJ
February 8, 2008, 12:34 AM
check this:

http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=3544

makes me wish Hi-Point would mold their polymers in OD.

oh and guys, the company typically throws in that extra mag as a courtesy.. dont abuse the warrenty and EXPECT to get a free mag.. considering how they'll repair/replace the firearm even if you drop it in a fire.. we should take what we get and be happy for it.

btw.. my JHP 45 Hi-Point is at 2750 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass with only 1 failure to eject.. and that was my fault.