PDA

View Full Version : Glock or Sig?

BlueDragon
August 30, 2007, 10:44 AM
Debating what pistol to get next....either a Old school Sig 226 "with stamped slide no ejector" it also has night sights "old but still functional" It shows a little bit of wear and tear but still alot of fight left in it. The second gun i am debating on is a Glock 22, police issue, 2nd gen, with night sights, also old like the sig's but still work. it too has some wear for being a cop gun, but also has the words "San Antonio Police Department" engraved on the right side of the slide. Not sure which one to get, both are priced about the same... which do u prefer Sigs or glocks? which would benifit better to concealed carry?

cryption
August 30, 2007, 11:00 AM
If my life depended on it I would get a sig. They're more accurate (in my experience) then glocks, and I perfer the feel of a sig much better. Shoot them both and decide for yourself, the one thing that turned me off about the glock I shot was no decocking lever. Unload and dry fire? No thanks, I'll decock with one in the chamber.

Of course I have an old Sig 225 (older then your 226) and it's had at LEAST 10k shots through it. I've put over 3 m yself in the past 2 months.

xrocket
August 30, 2007, 11:05 AM
After very little research of my own :) , go with the Sig.

What really matters is what do you want. Perhaps, if you can't test fire these two there's a range in your area that will rent the models your looking at. If that doesn't work .... buy both, shoot both and then sell the one you don't want. That would probably be a set-off to the rental cost anyway. Just a thought.

hoytinak
August 30, 2007, 11:12 AM
SIG

jakeswensonmt
August 30, 2007, 11:13 AM
If the prices are anywhere near the same, go with the Sig.
I'd only get the Glock if it was a lot cheaper.

My Sig P220 is a 1985 year, with so many rounds thru it I can't even estimate anymore, no repairs of any kind, and it's still tight, accurate, and 100% reliable. It's just not quite as blue as it used to be.

The Tourist
August 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
Obviously, go with what you want. My opinion means virtually nothing.

I will tell you my feelings.

If it's a cozy autumn afternoon and I'm with my shooting buddies, nothing is as much fun as my two-tone P-229 in .40 SW.

However, if I was slogging it out in the mud, survival mode, I'd want a Glock 20.

For me, it's actually two debates.

cryption
August 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
I'm sure the glock guys will chime in, but coming from a Sig guy, as I said above, both are great weapons. A glock is in no way a bad gun ... the rivalries are apparent of course. I wouldn't personally own a glock but many people ARE happy with them. Like I said, shoot both to decide. Food for thought though, my Sig can shoot any ammo I throw at it, my buddy who shoots with me has a Glock 17 and he has to be picky with ammo.

BlueDragon
August 30, 2007, 11:30 AM
Hmm yeah im leaning towards the Sig being i like it's decocker and where it's placed. Plus i think it looks nicer then the glock. But i just like hearing other people opinions before i make my final choice.:D

redblair
August 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
What feels better in your hand? I know what fits me best and is more pleasurable to shoot. If there both are comfortable get what ever one your heart desires. You'll be happier and probable shoot better!:D

Enjoy.

B

BlueDragon
August 30, 2007, 12:50 PM
well ive had a g17 and a g19, the g17 felt nicer when i fired it, and i didn't mind the recoil when i fired my uncle's g22 "also a 2nd gen" but when i handled the sig it just felt more natural plus i liked the decocker being on the frame and not the slide like on my Jericho 941. But ive never fired a sig or ever watched anyone fire a sig... in fact... no one i know even owns a sig >_< so yeah im not sure how the recoil is.. like how does it compare to a glock 17 or a beretta 92F? ive fired those. or... hows the accuracy and realiablity?

Fremmer
August 30, 2007, 12:54 PM
You need to fire each brand of gun to see whether you like the trigger on one better than the other. They have completely different triggers. It's a matter of personal preference.

BlueDragon
August 30, 2007, 12:56 PM
Well ive fired a glock 22 ... and it felt the same as my old G17. but more recoil. and as for the Sig i can't really fire one.. being that no one i know owns a sig p226 or a sig of any form. and the gun dealer isn't gonna let me test fire his. >_<

mako8551
August 30, 2007, 12:57 PM
SIG!!!!

redblair
August 30, 2007, 12:57 PM
I found the recoil on the Sig less than the Glock's I've fired. Accuracy is better than I'll ever be.

B

Cremon
August 30, 2007, 12:58 PM
I'm with Redblair. The gun has to feel right in your hand. The Glock has a plastic frame - the Sig is metal. The plastic framed guns never feel right in my hand (and I have very large hands). Also, having to take the magazine out, pull the action back to eject the chambered cartridge AND dry fire it to de-cock the gun is a major pain in the arse to me.

BlueDragon
August 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hmm well if thats the case maybe i should go for the Sig.... hmmmm... also i called in just now to make sure it was still there, the dealer said yes it's there, and now also another Sig p226 was brought in as well. a newer 226 with the new styled slide, and he said it was chambered in 357. Sig. but it's the same price as the 9mm sig im looking at.... HMMMMMM

Also the 357 sig is the same price as the 9mm sig.

minsonngo
August 30, 2007, 01:05 PM
Both are great guns. Buy whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Effy
August 30, 2007, 01:29 PM
You may want to save a few bucks and go with a CZ. It's called a working man's Sig and it's regarded as a great value.

Ciao,
Effy

RevolverLover
August 30, 2007, 02:02 PM
Also the 357 sig is the same price as the 9mm sig.

Keep in mind that 357 sig ammo is going to cost more than 9mm.

Manedwolf
August 30, 2007, 02:10 PM
SIG = Acura, Lexus

Glock = Ford Taurus, Saturn

That's the best analogy I can make. :)

Starsky
August 30, 2007, 02:38 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I own several of both the Glock and the Sig and outside of my beloved 1911's there simply is in my opinion no better gun made than SIG.

Freetacos
August 30, 2007, 02:54 PM
IMHO a Sig is just a better gun. It may not withstand being dropped out of airplanes or run over in a mud pit with tanks like Glocks supposedly can, but they are more accurate in my hands and they seem to be a little more refined. Seriously the craftsmanship on Sigs is outstanding, like a fine swiss clock.

antsi
August 30, 2007, 03:01 PM
This depends on whether you are a Glock person or a SIG person. Personally I am a SIG guy, but that doesn't say which you will be.

If you can shoot both, that will tell you which one is right for you.

If you can't, try this: empty gun, pick out a "target" in a safe direction. Close your eyes and point the gun at the "target." Open your eyes and see how far off you are. If there is a difference between the two guns on this test, it may be that one of them points better for you.

I like 357 SIG, but as mentioned above the ammo tends to be more expensive. If I only had one handgun, it would be a 9mm.

mmasteve
August 30, 2007, 04:24 PM
go with Glock, i have 2 and have about 7k threw my G17 and 3k threw my G19 and cant get them to misfire or jam. and i love them because i can shoot any ammo threw them and it will fire it. the feel just fits my hand best and a glock is simple but works. i have a buddy who is a TULSA PD and he has had over 25k threw his G22C and never one problem. he used to be a KIMBER 1911 and thinks glocks are way better then kimber now. honestly i have heard nothing but good about SIG and GLOCK im just a glock fan based on my experince with the two. and BTW i had a SIG 220 and sold it so i could by my G19 because i just didnt like the feel and the way it shot, but had 0 misfires in it as well. best of luck with what ever u pick but im voting GLOCK!

ActivShootr
August 30, 2007, 04:29 PM
Blue, Get the .357. You can always drop in a .40 barrell if you dont want to pay for 357 ammo.

TexasFats
August 31, 2007, 12:51 PM
I own one Glock. That is enough Glocks. I own two SIGs and I am trying to get together the bucks for another, maybe a P229 in .357 SIG or a P220 since every good Amercian man should own at least one .45 ACP. Does that information tell you which one I would recommend. Glocks are good, reliable guns, but not necessarily my cup of tea. To me it is like the difference between a Ford and a BMW--both are servicable and will do the job, but one is just a lot nicer. YMMV.

Ocraknife
September 1, 2007, 10:26 AM
My opinion is if you have enough money get the sig if not get the glock. I am a sig lover myself. That said, I am off to look at a Glock G20 today... Of course, if I could find a sig in 10mm I'd be getting that instead.

Hallucinator
September 1, 2007, 10:38 AM
You can't go wrong with either one. Here are some considerations:

Sigs are heavier so they handle recoil a little better.

(Glock owners will differ, tell you that the low bore axis of the Glock mitigates recoil)

Sigs are better looking (only important if you're into gun aesthetics)

Glocks have more Kaboom problems (I don't think that's true anymore)

Sig customer service is excellent. I've never experienced dealing with Glock because nothing's ever gone wrong with the gun.

Parts are easy to find for both guns.

Glock magazines are cheaper and you can buy them off the shelf in many gun stores, whereas you have to order them from Sig. Sig's are way over priced.

Both pistols are accurate and durable and low maintenance.

Have fun.

RevolverLover
September 1, 2007, 11:01 AM
whereas you have to order them from Sig. Sig's are way over priced.

There are plenty of different online outfits you can order cheaper SIG mags from instead of sending that much just to get it from SIG.

IMTHDUKE
September 1, 2007, 11:12 AM
I am a recent convert to Sig. I fired nothing but 1911s and had one Glock that I quickly sold.

I now have a Sig P239 SAS and bought a Sig P232 for my daughter. Now, after putting the Hogue grips on the 232, not sure I wanta give that little .380 away.

It was love at first fire when I dropped the hammer for the first round on my Sig P239 SAS with the DAK trigger. I'd get the Sig in a New York minute.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com/images/GUNS/p239sas.jpg

Socrates
September 1, 2007, 11:32 AM
The sig will give you more value for your money, just look at the MSRP's.
Usually, Sigs are too heavy, or big for me, for CCW. The Sig you are talking about weighs 34 oz, and what caliber, 9mm?

The glock you are talking about is 34 oz loaded as well. Both pretty heavy for CCW. Both about the same size.

Glocks parts are cheap.

Looks like you can swap 9mm, 357, and 40 into both guns.

Sigs are just breaking in at 10K rounds. Strange both guns are the same price, when one's MSRP is 853, and 920 with night sites, and the other is in the 459-505 range. The Sig is the higher priced.

S esq.

cgbills
September 2, 2007, 09:48 PM
Try out both. Also it depends on what you want it for. I carry a Glock 32. I had a sig, great gun but not my thing. I like to hold high up on the bevel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

This vid shows how I grip. With the sig it has a bump out on the grip where the decocker is. It is hard for me to grip it high up the way I like and I always hit the slid release. Also I don’t like the trigger reset on the sig. The glock is short and crisp. On the sig is a lot longer. I find follow up shots with the glock to come quicker and more accurately. Again sig, good gun just not my thing. Shoot both and see what you like

Ocraknife
September 3, 2007, 10:20 AM
Glock magazines are cheaper and you can buy them off the shelf in many gun stores, whereas you have to order them from Sig. Sig's are way over priced.

My Sig's mags have mec-gar stamped on them so I would imagine any off the shelf mec-gar mag would work just as well.

Glockeroo
September 3, 2007, 02:34 PM
If it's going to be your primary carry piece, trying both in a holster and see which one is more comfortable on your waist. Get the Glock, and leave the extra heavy Sig for home defense. I'm a Glock man, so of course I'm going to respond this way. The truth is, you have to try them both to see which one works for you.

FirstFreedom
September 3, 2007, 02:40 PM
I think the Sig is a much better gun, IMO, but I agree to go ahead and get the gun that feels best to you. It'd be a bit of a novelty having the San Antonio PD thing on your gun, though.

rauchman
September 4, 2007, 04:53 PM
I have an older P226 (folded metal slide), G17 2nd gen & G19 2nd gen, and have had a P225. The 226 & G19 have never given me problems. I want to like the G19 the best, but I don't shoot it nearly as well consistently as the 226. The G17 is a great gun also, but of the G19 & G17, I'd take the G19. Sigs and their mags tend to run more than any Glock new. However, used, the prices can be a lot closer. I think the Glocks may have an edge in reliability over the long term and their finish is the best thing I've seen. For me Sigs are easier to shoot accurately.