PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal - issue with a new 226

Axion
August 28, 2007, 11:35 PM
Well I just bought a new 226 and it shoots great. Unfortunately I'm seeing a little bit about why many claim that sig QC is hit or miss these days. Long story short the are some imperfections in the gun and before I get on the phone with sig's infamous CS I want to know insistent I should be that these issues be resolved.

The first is these weird notches in the frame rails. It almost looks like they started to cut the rails in the wrong place. Has anyone seen anything like this before is this a functional issue?
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/Nixon454/4.jpg
The second are these lines in the finish on the slide. It looks like the Nitron was applied in streaks. While it's not a big issue it's all I see when I look at my brand new $800 gun and that bugs me.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/Nixon454/2.jpg

Anyway I still love sigs, but in future I'll look them over much more throughly before purchase.

jakeswensonmt
August 28, 2007, 11:46 PM
Nice pictures, amazing closeup on that first one. I don't know about your 226, but your camera shoots well...

Axion
August 28, 2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks it's good lighting and using the macro setting that get all the detail.

SCREAMIII2006
August 29, 2007, 12:29 AM
My navy has a little wear on the slide rail above serial#.
You can only see it with the slide off and the from underneath.
The anodizing is coming off slightly.
My slide is black stainless so imperfections are not as noticable.
In fact I just took it out and I find no streaks like yours at all.

You may have gotten a gun that was built on fri around 4:30 p.m.

For $800 I think it deserves a little trip back to the factory.:p

Axion
August 29, 2007, 12:43 AM
The notches on the rails are not wear. They are clearly marks from some cutting tool.

Yeah for the price new sigs cost I want it to be 100%. I just hope sig agrees with me.

Christian 812
August 29, 2007, 06:42 AM
Notches on the rail are definitaly not normal for a NIB Sig !
The slide finish look is normal ... in fact, it's not the Nitron but milling marks covered with Nitron. All P226 Sig I know have this kind of streacks.

Officer's Match
August 29, 2007, 07:19 AM
I hope Sig gives you satisfaction. They are renowned for their quality, but nobody's perfect. If this were another manufacturer, nobody would question these issues are unacceptable.

Te Anau
August 29, 2007, 07:49 AM
That slide finish is something I would expect from a $200.00 gun,not a SIG.

Christian 812
August 29, 2007, 11:00 AM
Te Anau,

You're right ... Sig should put more care to the milling tool marks. But it doesn't change the fact that they are great semi-autos !

H&K have silk smooth slide surfaces and the finish is by far more resistant than Nitron.

BigJimP
August 29, 2007, 12:32 PM
The things you decribe in your photos are not typical problems with Sig - and I'd be shocked if SIG will not replace the frame or the whole gun for you.

Personally I would have rejected this gun when it was shipped and forced my dealer to send it back to the distributor - and have him ship me a 2nd gun. I would not be happy with this either.

kymasabe
August 29, 2007, 05:15 PM
My CPO Sig P226 with an '89 date code has a better finish than your new Sig. I'd send it back.

Axion
August 29, 2007, 05:36 PM
Well just sent an e-mail with pics of the problems to sig, lets see what they say.

Hallucinator
August 29, 2007, 05:38 PM
I can't really see what you're talking about, but all my Sigs have wear on the rails. It's normal. Don't worry about it.

Axion
August 29, 2007, 07:03 PM
Hallucinator: This is not wear. It's a brand new gun and these are clearly machining mistakes. I own a sig 229 with close to 4000 rounds through it so I have some idea with what normal wear on a sig looks like.

EIGHTYDUECE
August 29, 2007, 07:20 PM
That is normal, I think they put it there to aid in putting the slide back on. My 226 looks identical so does my friends W. German 226. It is about 1/2" long.

Again, this is intended from the factory

Axion
August 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah people on the sig forum are saying the same thing. So then why doesn't my 229 have this notch?

Oh well, if it's meant to be then I'm ok with that. If I can just get them to refinish the slide I'll be happy.

Fremmer
August 29, 2007, 11:08 PM
Please let us know what Sig says, and how the pistol turns out.

Rinspeed
August 30, 2007, 08:26 AM
Hard to tell from the pics but the rails wouldn't bother me as much as the slide. I would be very surprised if Sigarms doesn't make it right with you.

The Body Bagger
August 30, 2007, 09:39 AM
I think its cosmetic in nature only, it should not affect overall shootability in the firearm. As for the finish on it, the machining is definately some of the worst I have seen from such a highly touted manufacturer. It looks to me that the machinists at SIG are being told to save some money by not replacing/resharpening their finishing endmills, I've seen roughers that leave better finishes than that. Not to mention the set up guy was off by couple thousandths and started milling the rail slide incorrectly. Pretty dissapointing and I guess its true what I've been reading more and more frequently, SIG is losing their QC.

Axion
August 30, 2007, 07:41 PM
A dull cutter was the first thing I thought when I saw the slide. I hope they agree to refinish it and don't give me a load of "it functions fine so warranty won't cover it" bull.

line1
September 1, 2007, 10:58 PM
They need to replace that with a perfect pistol. That is --NOT -- CORRECT.

FM12
September 2, 2007, 12:14 AM
Do you get the feeling that some of the gun companies just sell whatever comes off the assembly line, and hope no one else notices? Then, if returned, they try to make it right, or a semblence of making it right?

Until I got started reading about things like this, I was largely unaware of the QC PROBLEMS some companies have, not nesessarily SIG, but just in general.

Axion
September 2, 2007, 12:41 AM
Slight update: Still no word back from customer service, but from what I read on sig forums the notches in the frame rail are perfectly normal. They are a feature sig incorporates to help the pistol function better when dirty. The wierd thing is they go back and forth between using them and not.

That said the poor finish on the slide still pisses me off and I'm hoping they'll refinish it for me.

line1
September 2, 2007, 11:42 AM
Other than the x-5, some of their best work is the Elite series. Some of those I looked at in the case new had rust on the hard chrome slides. Some of the 226 models, looked better than others, in milling marks under the finish. In my opinion they are not the finished detailed product you would expect, but some are close to perfect. Still, with a couple milled marks (that should have not been there) I could right out of the box, dead center all shots touching perfect on the X. This is what I look at if the milling is not exceptonally rough in areas to affect shooting. Yes, people should expect that stage after milling ,and before finish, to be correct in this price range. This will affect the company greatly in the long run, on future sales and opinion, if they are turning a fast rough finish product.

gc70
September 2, 2007, 12:43 PM
Slight update: Still no word back from customer service, but from what I read on sig forums the notches in the frame rail are perfectly normal. They are a feature sig incorporates to help the pistol function better when dirty. The wierd thing is they go back and forth between using them and not.

I guess I should be upset; none of my Sigs (different models produced in a period spanning more than a decade) have those "features."

Fremmer
September 2, 2007, 01:53 PM
It looks like a layer of steel is peeling away in the first picture. It that right and, if so, is that what supposedly improves reliability?

EIGHTYDUECE
September 2, 2007, 02:29 PM
The first pic is normal.

It is just a releif cut making the frame rail alittle wider at the first 1/2" or so to help when putting the slide back on.

Fremmer
September 2, 2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks, Eighty. Is that a standard relief cut on all 226's (and the two-hundred series guns)?

EIGHTYDUECE
September 2, 2007, 04:36 PM
My early P225 does not have it , but all 226s I've seen do have it.

gc70
September 2, 2007, 09:49 PM
Here are some Sigs, produced about 10 years apart, that don't have relief cuts on the frame rails.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gc70/Sig_rails.jpg

The Body Bagger
September 3, 2007, 03:38 AM
My early P225 does not have it , but all 226s I've seen do have it.

I looked at three officers 226's tonight, none of them have that relief cut into them and all were purchased w/in the last 3 years.