PDA

View Full Version : Question about Police pistols

BlueDragon
August 27, 2007, 10:41 PM
Is it normal for cop guns to have the department they are used in to have the named etched on the slide? I was at the indy 1500 and was looking to buy a Police Trade in Glock 22 *old stlyle 2nd gen* and i was bummed when i didn't have enough cash. So i was looking at the gun store today and i saw another police trade in G22 also a 2nd gen. but this one had the department it was used in etched on the slide, the slide on the right side said "San Antonio Police Department" The Glock that was at the show was also which looked identical didn't have anything marked on it, and the Glock 22 that my uncle's carry which is also 2nd gens they dont have anything marked on it either. but yeah the point of what im asking was like do certain departments mark their guns like this? or whats the point to do it?

Deaf Smith
August 27, 2007, 10:54 PM
Some do. Especially revolvers.

I've heard of Glocks like the one you described. Pretty sure it's a cop gun. I've seen one Glock with DPD (Dallas Police Department) on it's slide.

SCCop
August 28, 2007, 12:24 AM
I know that may sound confusing. There are many agencies that mark their sidearms, or order them marked by the manufacturer. However, this is probably the minority of agencies. It's possibly an issue weapon or it may be a commemorative edition licensed by the agency. These are often by retirees, LEO families, etc.

MisterPX
August 28, 2007, 12:35 AM
Seen more than a few Dpet. marked guns. No big deal, works just like an unmarked, but cheaper! :D

JohnKSa
August 28, 2007, 01:00 AM
Glock will put any logo you desire on a pistol, the only requirement is that you order some minimum number of pistols (sorry, don't remember what that number is).

cryption
August 28, 2007, 10:58 AM
and that is also assuming you will carry the pistol they issue you instead of one of your own.

James K
August 28, 2007, 11:09 AM
Perhaps I am being over-cautious, but if you buy a gun with LEA markings, make sure you get a receipt from the dealer with the serial number and the marking and noted as police surplus.

The reason is that some over-zealous cop may check the gun out for some reason and decide that it is stolen. I have an old S&W marked "Oklahoma Highway Patrol." When a LEO friend saw it, he asked if I had shot a cop to get it. He was kidding (I think) but I can see a possible problem.

Jim