PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade in a Beretta 92 FS Inox for a fullsize M&P 9MM?

Nevertoomanyguns
August 26, 2007, 09:03 AM
Well I carry an M9 for my duty weapon I'm really good with the one I was issued, (I shoot a 240 out of 240 points for qualification), not to toot my own horn, so I went out and bought a 92fs Inox about 3 months ago. I am very good with this gun too but It really doesn't do anything for me. I don't want to go and buy a new gun out right. I also own a full size fully loaded parkerized springfield 1911, Glocks 22 and 27, Ruger super blackhawk hunter .44 mag, and a smith & wesson 686 plus. I only want one 9mm and I really like the M&P 9mm. I think I can live without the Beretta. Would you trade it for a M&P 9mm? No i won't get rid of my Glocks I am member of the dark side! I like having the big three, .40, .45, and 9mm.

Tom2
August 26, 2007, 09:17 AM
Well if the Beretta somehow annoys you, and you have handled and researched the Smith and it feels and works better for you, then you should. But some guys are always getting bored with their current guns and casting about for something new and sexy to glom onto and end up trading off a real good solid gun and sometimes regret it later. (I was gonna compare it to something else obvious but decided not to) I cannot claim to know the track record of the Smiths as they are newer items but there are some on the forum that would take the Italian off your hands. Just do your homework when trading versus adding guns as you will lose alot of $$$ if you eventually decide to change back.

Officer's Match
August 26, 2007, 09:19 AM
With the collection you already have, I'd be more inclined to pick up a really nice CZ 9mm variant, perhaps a stainless one or an SP01.

Nevertoomanyguns
August 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. I dont trade guns so far I keep them for ever. I have only had the Beretta for 3 month and it just bores me for some dang reason. None of my other guns bore me. Maybe its because I carry one on a daily basis for work. There is nothing wrong with it and trust me it is very very accurate I just like the M&P better. I don't know maybe I will go out back in a few minutes and shoot 100 or so rounds and see if my mind changes. It won't be a carry gun, in fact the only gun I carry ccw is the Glock 27 all the other semi's are range guns. The two revolvers I use for hunting. This has never happened to me before. I think the delima is that I don't want to add another gun. All together counting all of my guns I am around 40 guns and need another one like a hole in my head.

Night Watch
August 26, 2007, 09:53 AM
:) The most knowledgeable: range officer, firearm instructor, reloader, and gun dealer I've ever known (He is a walking encyclopedia on ballistics and guns.) once remarked;

'When you're out on the line, the first guns to fail will always be the Smith autos!'

This man is widely respected by every gunman who knows him; he reads reloading manuals and ballistic charts the way most people read the newspaper. He has, also, spent more than 20 years as a range safety officer at a popular public shooting range where they rented a wide variety of firearms.

Among other firearms, I own a nice collection of Smith & Wesson handguns. I will qualify the above statement by saying that the old Models 52 and 41 should definitely be excluded; otherwise, I'm forced to admit that I think this statement is, 'right on the money'.

To answer your question, directly: No, I don't see any good reason to switch from a proven performer like the Beretta 92FS to the, 'new kid on the block' - especially if it comes from Smith & Wesson!

Maybe in another 5 years I'll change my mind; but, for right now, you said it, yourself; 'I shoot it well!' ;)

gordo b.
August 26, 2007, 10:23 AM
Absolutely not!

Starsky
August 26, 2007, 10:46 AM
Nope, wouldn't even consider it. The Beretta is heads and shoulders above the Smith. Every major or (even minor serious FTF's) issue I have ever had with a semi-auto handgun has been a Smith. A Smith semi dang near cost me my life once on the line.

varoadking
August 26, 2007, 11:24 AM
Sounds like my experience with Beretta...they just never did float my boat, and I unloaded the few I'd acquired...

I own more S&W autos than any other make - 8 - and at one time owned far more than that. I can't say that any of them ever gave me any cause for concern...

I don't recall any government agencies having issues with S&W's to the degree they have with SiG's, Glocks, and for that matter, Berettas...

Starsky
August 26, 2007, 11:42 AM
I don't recall any government agencies having issues with S&W's to the degree they have with SiG's, Glocks, and for that matter, Berettas...

That's an easy and strong statement to just make and one that I'd say is based in personal opinion not fact. I'd like to see it backed up with documentation cause I worked for and carried guns issued by "government agencies" for three decades and we never had issues with the Sigs or Berettas but had many with the Smith auto (esp the 59) back in the 80's. Smith service weapons shined in the wheel guns, during the 60's, 70's and early 80's. The Model's 10, 19, 65, 66 and 686, were the cream of the crop but their semi's just plain don't cut it against the other major brands. S&W went cheap while the others insisted on quality, esp Sig.

Also it could be because no government agency that amounts to anything has carried Smith's as their service handgun in 20 years.

varoadking
August 26, 2007, 11:50 AM
That's an easy and strong statement to just make and one that I'd say is based in personal opinion not fact.

What do you call this statement then:

The Beretta is heads and shoulders above the Smith. Every major or (even minor serious FTF's) issue I have ever had with a semi-auto handgun has been a Smith.

Lighten up, dood...this isn't about you...

Starsky
August 26, 2007, 12:11 PM
BIG, HUGE difference in me saying one gun is heads and shoulders above another and you mis-stating that government agencies are having issues with certain guns. So then your statement was just personal opinion. Thanks for the clarification.

Oh....and it's Dude not dood :)

gc70
August 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
Beretta 92FS Inox versus S&W M&P 9mm

I have both: one is sleek and sexy and the other is totally utilitarian. If the Beretta does not thrill you, get something else. Since you already have two Glocks, you would probably be happy with the S&W (just think of it as a product-improved Glock).

Hard Ball
August 26, 2007, 01:46 PM
YES, I would.

JohnKSa
August 26, 2007, 02:59 PM
I'd sell it rather than trade it (assuming you decide to go for the M&P). The INOX Beretta 92FS pistols can be hard to find...

nero
August 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't.

As to the reliability of S&W semi-autos, my 539 & 3906 have had thousands of rounds through them without a single failure.

nero

IM_Lugger
August 26, 2007, 05:53 PM
Absolutely not!I agree!

I have both 92FS Inox and M&P9 and while I love the Smith Beretta is a better gun IMO :)

But I think you shoulf trade in one of the Glocks for M&P; get M&P40 if you have to! Plastic for plastic; ;)

Night Watch
August 26, 2007, 08:46 PM
Here’s two news accounts of some of the recent problems two state police agencies have had with Smith & Wesson pistols:

New Jersey’s S&W Problems (http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/news/newsitem03_14a_01.htm)

California’s S&W Problems (http://lacrossea.behindlacrosse.com/?m=200703)

Here’s a reasonably accurate list of what handguns the various state police agencies are presently carrying:

Alabama Glock 22/23
Alaska Glock 22/23
Arizona SIG P229 9mm
Arkansas Glock 21/22
California S&W 4006
Colorado S&W 4006
Connecticut SIG P226/P229 .40
Delaware SIG P229 .357SIG
Florida Beretta 96D
Georgia Glock 22
Hawaii S&W 5906
Idaho Glock 22
Illinois Glock 22
Indiana Beretta 96 (Currently under review)
Iowa S&W 4046
Kansas Glock 21
Kentucky Glock 34
Louisiana SIG P229 .40
Maine HK USP .45
Maryland Beretta 96D
Massachusetts SIG P226 .40
Michigan SIG P226 .40
Minnesota Glock 22
Mississippi S&W 4046 (Recently changed to Glock 22, 35)
Missouri Glock 22
Montana SIG P339 .357SIG
Nebraska Glock 22
New Hampshire S&W 4566
Nevada S&W 4006
New Jersey SIG 228 9mm
New Mexico Glock 31
New York Glock 17 (Recently changed to Glock 37)
North Carolina Beretta Cougar .357SIG
North Dakota S&W 4506
Ohio SIG P229/P226 .40
Oklahoma SIG P226R .357SIG
Oregon Glock 22
Pennsylvania Beretta 96D Brigadier (Recently changed to Glock 37)
Rhode Island SIG P229 .357SIG
South Carolina Glock 22
South Dakota Beretta 92F
Tennessee Glock 31
Texas SIG P229/P226 .357SIG
Utah Beretta Cougar .40
Vermont SIG P229 .40
Virginia SIG P229RDAK .40
Washington Beretta 92F
West Virginia S&W 4566TSW
Wisconsin Ruger P89
Wyoming Beretta 92f (Recently changed to Glock)

gordo b.
August 26, 2007, 09:45 PM
Word from head firearms trainers of LAPD was the Beretta was a better gun than the Glock 21 -except for caliber. The INOX 92s are usually pretty well made and 20 years down the road you might find they are worth something.
BTW the S&W 4006 is a very nice service pistol , as is the 4506 ect. The Big frame S&Ws seem to work pretty well. I carry a S&W 1911PD and love it!The M&P has got to do some reputation mending to do after S&Ws history with plastic guns:rolleyes:

456-SGT
August 26, 2007, 11:03 PM
I personally would prefer the M&P 9 over the Beretta. I've had two Beretta's in the past and cannot think of a single complaint other than they simply just didn't "do it" for me. I like the M&P line and think S&W did this gun right. If you want to make the trade, then do so. You always have the duty M9 to use as well, unless something prohibits you from using it outside of "duty".

For the record, I have been carrying a S&W 4006 for nearly 15 years for a LARGE west coast agency. While its not too sexy, nor real tacticool, it has been terribly effective and has kept many of our folks alive and in the fight. My issue weapon has never had a single hiccup, and the issues that have presented themselves with other weapons have been minor or wear associated. We are currently transitioning to 4006TSW's, and again, while they are not the hottest thing on the market, there is something to be said about their durability and reliability.

If I had the option, I would be carrying a Sig. But since that is not the case, my S&W will be just fine. It has not let me down yet. S&W just does not motivate a lot of shooters with a line that is visually simplistic, unchanged, and lacking in the latest bells and whisltes (M&P aside, of course ;)).

oldbillthundercheif
August 26, 2007, 11:15 PM
Of all the nifty firearms you have, there is one you don't have that also happens to be a 9mm...

You need a Hi-Power.:D

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/zarganuts/thHPpimpLsmall.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/zarganuts/fn_hp_sasfs.jpg

michael t
August 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
I would trade the Beretta for a Hi power or something I am not a fan of their guns or Customer/warrenty service.

amagoh
August 27, 2007, 02:16 PM
I like both guns, but I think you'd be getting the short end of the deal in that trade.

DeltaWhiskey
August 27, 2007, 02:39 PM
I traded a Beretta 92 FS Police Special with three mags for a S&W M&P .40 when S&W's bonus mag promo was going on. It was my third Beretta vs. my second M&P. I knew from shooting my 9mm M&P that it worked better for me than the 92 and was pretty pleased when the deal was done.

MyXD40
August 27, 2007, 03:07 PM
I find S&W to be a respected company I can trust. It all boils down to the quality (materials and build) of the gun..then how you maintain it..should both be good/great, then your gun should never fail.

And the way I see it, I like to buy my guns, that have something to show for. No matter what (unless overseas in a war) you will always show your gun more than you'll shoot it. i.e. "hey that's a nice gun? what kind is it?" me: "oh its a springfield XD (duo-tone) .40, wanna see it?"

Now I consider my XD to be a fairly good looking gun! but my main reason why I just love it, is becasue its like pointing my finger, easy to use, and easy to aim. And when that time comes to defend, at least my firearm will always do its job, the best I can. ..guess I have the best of both worlds!!

with all that said, I'd say, go with what makes you happy man! you can always trade back..

Spenser
August 27, 2007, 03:13 PM
I think not.

I like the 92's quite a bit. Just purely asthetics, but I think the 92 is a sweet looking weapon.

I don't think there's enough history on the M&P to kick the Beretta as of yet. That's my opinion, anyway. Worth what you paid for it.

I'm also big on getting collectable things. The 92 has quite a bit of history at this point (say what you will about it in the US arsenal, it's there), and that makes it somewhat of a collectable firearm in my book. M&P doesn't have a storied history, as of yet.

STS3_SSN705
August 27, 2007, 05:55 PM
I only want one 9mm
:confused: Isn't your screen name in conflict with this thread? Get yourself together man! Keep the Inox, buy the M&P when funds permit. That model isn't in danger of becoming hard to find, and a wise man once said, "you can never have too many guns :D "

Taurus_9mm
August 27, 2007, 06:23 PM
Personally? No, I'd keep the Beretta Inox. :D

Nevertoomanyguns
August 27, 2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks all, took it out the other day and shot it. Then went back inside looked in the mirror and smacked myself. What the hell was I thinking? I think I will buy the M&P when I can and maybe that HI-power too. God this is a terrible addiction.:o. STS3_SSN705 yep kind of going against my screen name. I'm back to normal now though.

Dogbite
August 27, 2007, 06:56 PM
Yes, i would.

STS3_SSN705
August 28, 2007, 06:11 AM
I'm back to normal now though.

Whew! I'm glad you're back with us man. Post pics of the new piece when you get it. I'm bettin it won't be long ;)

W Turner
August 29, 2007, 09:10 AM
I would. But that is a decision for me.

Most of the reported problems with S&W autos have been with the P99 abomination they partnered on with Walther.

I don't care for the Beretta 92 series (except for the Vertec versions) though so that influences my decision.

I don't think your are stepping down quality-wise and own an MP9 so I can speak to the quality of my pistol, but no others. The Beretta is well made, reliable and accurate. It is also clunky, heavy and has a long trigger reach.

It's up to you, but I would sell the Beretta, buy the MP and pocket the difference.

W

v65magnafan
September 2, 2007, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't trade my Beretta Elite II for an M&P.

The M&P, a good firearm, is a combat weapon. It's not finished aesthetically as is a Beretta.

However, I would trade a Beretta for a Sig. In fact, I'm going to on Tuesday.

I found that the Sig had almost identical grip/trigger placement as the Beretta. But, the Sig didn't have that radius at the bottom of the forward edge of the grip that annoys my last two grip fingers. Also, the Sig has a smoother trigger than the Beretta.

And, for my old eyes, the Sig sights are easier for me to align than are the Novaks.

The Beretta is a great pistol, the Sig is a great pistol. I think the reason some agencies are switching to S&W is because the latest recruits have smaller hands, if you get my drift. And also, maybe because S&W and the distributors aren't as greedy.

(Finally, if Glock came out with a .40/.45 with a more common grip angle and adjustable grip inserts, they would solve the S&W intrusion very quickly.)

Why don't you consider a reconditioned Sig?

bigghoss
September 2, 2007, 05:48 PM
I personally would rather have an M&P over a beretta but if its a gun you shoot really well I'd be a little more hesitant.

IM_Lugger
September 2, 2007, 11:20 PM
v65magnafan, I have 92FS, P226 and M&P :)

I have to say I preffer the Novak sights over the Sig sights (in fact I might get them for my P226) and I'm pretty sure Beretta (with a D spring) has a better trigger in DA (SA is about the same). I like the Sig but I like my Beretta a little more.

ps: what Sig caliber are you getting?

steinermd
September 3, 2007, 12:08 AM
I own a 92 with the military M9 stamp on it. I too am thinking of getting a S&W MP, so I really enjoyed this thread. I am glad to see I am not alone in wanting to add to my collection and not trade.

10 MickeyMouse
September 3, 2007, 12:21 AM
Keep the Beretta, save up and get the M&P. Every serious shooter should have a 92FS. It truly is an iconic handgun.

Silentarmy
September 3, 2007, 12:26 AM
I have the Beretta 96 and I like it alot. I carried the M-9 for yrs with the Air Force SF and got used to it and even came to like it. I have seen the new M&P's but never owned a Smith and Wesson anything. I will have to take a closer look at them in the coming week although I am not into being a companies guinea pig, especially not a company with a history like S&W when it comes to autos!

Don P
September 3, 2007, 01:52 PM
:cool:Nevertoomanyguns, I'm in the market for a 92 INOX. Are you interested in selling? If so price?:cool: Does it have black levers or SS levers?

Homerboy
September 9, 2007, 04:09 PM
I have a S&W 3913 that has never failed me. I was issued a S&W 5946 that never failed me either. And if you want to start posting about the "problems" that S&W has had, why not look at Glocks? PD's don't use them because they're so great. They use them because they're cheap, almost to the point of being free. Glock will accept the current PD guns as barter and sell new Glocks to the PD for less than $150 each. I sold my Glock 19 immediately after retiring and traded my Glock 26 for a S&W 3913. Never looked back. With the exception of the Sigma, I'd take a S&W auto over a Glock anyday. And you'd be crazy to trade that 92 INOX. Beretta stopped making them, and if yours has the all steel controls rather than the black controls, it's worth even more. Rack the slide on the Beretta and it feels like it's on ball bearings. The M&P is nice, buit I will never part with my 92 INOX.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1616676/posts

http://www.armslocker.com/forums/printthread.php?t=28088

The Body Bagger
September 10, 2007, 05:22 AM
No way. The Inox Beretta is beautiful, the M&P a duty gun.

sigbear
September 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
I bought a new Beretta 92FS in 2004, had it for a year and traded it for a new Sig. 226.
I think the Beretta is a better looker, I never had a failure of any kind, however, After shooting my brothers new Sig 226 in 9, I traded in the Beretta the next day abd have no regrets.
I liked the Beretta very much, I just shoot the Sig better and it also has never had a failure of any kind.

Sigbear

Black Adder LXX
September 11, 2007, 05:50 PM
Keep it... Sell the glocks... get the M&P... *dives for cover* :D

Nevertoomanyguns
September 14, 2007, 03:28 AM
Keep it... Sell the glocks... get the M&P... *dives for cover*

You better dive again thats more like concelment than cover. lol. I'll just buy an m&p and add it to my collection. MY Inox has the all stanless no black controls bought it used and in great condition for $450. Sorry I came to and its not for sale.

SpookBoy
September 14, 2007, 03:40 AM
In a word "no". Why only 1 9mm?

Nevertoomanyguns
September 14, 2007, 03:46 AM
SpookBoy,

I only want one 9mm because I only by one gun of a given caliber and some day I want to add a .41mag,(.454 cas,.460, .45lc S&W 460),.500 sw,.480 and on and on and on,lol. I think I need to get a better paying job or win the powerball:rolleyes:

SpookBoy
September 14, 2007, 04:06 AM
well to each his own,but imo if SHTF one day you may regret only having one gun in each cal. aka if something breaks or lost parts/mags you might need more than one.;)
But thats whats great about our common interest, there are enough choices for almost everyone to be content:D
good luck on that powerball thing