PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Ruger KP97DC.

rantingredneck
August 26, 2007, 05:11 AM
I have come to the conclusion that I am not a revolver guy. I traded Bennnn a few weeks ago for a Taurus 817. While fun to shoot and light to carry it just didn't do IT for me (whatever that indefinable it is). I took it with me to the Greensboro gun show yesterday thinking I would have it available as trade meat if needed or would maybe sell it if the right offer came along.

Right out of the gate somebody offered me 200 bucks for it. I declined.

I'd keep it as the "dresser drawer" gun for that.

After I wandered a little farther I found a Ruger KP97DC lying on a table looking lonely. At first glance it looked a little rough and I was thinking about not even asking about it. I politely asked to pick the gun up and inspect and I noticed that the "rough" was actually where it just needed a good cleaning. The pricetag on it was 290.00. I asked the guy what kindof a swap we could work out. He asked for 50 plus the Taurus. We worked it down to 40.00. (I would have still taken it at 50, but hey....). I asked to field strip the Ruger before we proceeded. He had no problem with that.

Internally the gun looked like it had never been fired more than a few hundred rounds. Extractor was good and sharp. No wear marks on the frame. Very little cycle wear to the exterior of the barrel. Overall I'm very pleased.

I've never shot a P97, but they're supposedly very accurate. I'll have this one at the range later this week (would be today other than the pre-planned family trip to the zoo) and will do a range report. This now completes my collection of Ruger .45ACP's since I already have the P90 and P345 (maybe it's time for a side by side test of the three).

I went into the show looking for an 870 express synthetic in 20 ga. but the prices I saw on the 870's I found were ridiculous. To the point of even any negotiating aside I'd be better off buying from my local guy.

blume357
August 26, 2007, 07:24 AM
you get to ride it!... All my ruger simis are 9mm, so I can't comment further, other than to say they are usually built like a tank and will preform when needed.... try out the rugerforum.com for a bunch of like minded, easy to get along with folks.

railroader
August 26, 2007, 08:01 AM
I traded an HS2000(pre springfield xd) for a ruger p97. The ruger shoots very accurately once I got use to the trigger. I don't know what the polymer frame on your 345 is made of but be careful on what aerosol cleaners you use on the p97 frame. I use brake cleaner on my guns to blast the gunk out of nooks and crannies. Brake cleaner and some of the other gun cleaning sprays that normally are safe will turn the polymer on the ruger p97 white. So test the inside of the frame with sprays just to be safe. Armourall helps bring the color back by the way. Mark

Pops 1
August 26, 2007, 08:10 AM
I picked up a P97 a coupel of months ago a fine shooter, Ruger should of never stoped making the P97. Pops

Pud
August 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
I got a P97 a while back(5 years ago--I think?), and to date, it is STILL one of my favorite, best shooting guns! :D
There were a few lemons, but overall,it is/was a fine piece.
I agree, Ruger shoould have never stopped producing them!
Pud

awpk03s
August 26, 2007, 11:18 AM
I had a P97 and it was great for me ($330 NIB 6-7 yrs ago?). Accurate, worked all the time, any load. I liked the slim single stack grip, didn't like the double action trigger. SA was okay, but the DA pull really annoyed me. Ended up selling it for HK USP Compact in .45, which I ended up selling this year for a Glock 21SF to match my G36. Wish I still had the Ruger though - just because.

rantingredneck
August 26, 2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. This makes my fourth Ruger P-series. My first handgun was a P89 that I've had for 12 years or so. Since then I've aquired a P90 (in January of this year) and a P345 a couple months ago (It is now my primary carry). This P97 sure feels good in the hand. If it shoots as good as either of my other Ruger 45's I'll be pleased. I'm used to one hole 8 shot groups at 15 yds offhand from both of them.

I'm still in the market for a P95 too. I've got the P89 and PC9 carbine. Might as well have a third gun that will take the Ruger 9mm mags. I've got three .45's now that do. :)

JohnKSa
August 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
Internally the gun looked like it had never been fired more than a few hundred rounds.It will probably still look like that after a few thousand rounds. ;)

Rob96
August 26, 2007, 03:52 PM
I had the P97 and P90. I didn't like the slickness of Ruger's polymer for the P97. Foolishly I traded the P90 away. I need to pick another one of those up.

P97
August 26, 2007, 04:23 PM
I have 2-KP97DC's, one of which is my CCW. Also got a KP90DC while they are till available. Love both the 97's and 90's. If your's isn't accurate and dependable, its an exception. Usually they are. Looking for a report after you shoot it. :)

rantingredneck
August 26, 2007, 04:50 PM
It will probably still look like that after a few thousand rounds.

Yeah, they're a bit hard to wear out. ;)

cavediver27
August 27, 2007, 05:53 AM
My P97DC is by far my favorite pistol and I many many makes and models to choose from. It is accurate, reliable and easy to conceal. You made a good choice:)

Silvanus
August 27, 2007, 06:22 AM
Congrats on the purchase! I'd like try a Ruger semi sometime, but you don't see many around here:(

rantingredneck
August 27, 2007, 08:30 AM
Once again I am very happy with a Ruger purchase.

I detail stripped the slide of the Ruger Saturday night after the trade and cleaned and relubed everything. There was very little residue under and around the extractor and firing pin channel. This tends to confirm my suspicion that this gun was likely shot very little. My P89 was much grimier when I detail stripped it for the first time this week. It's had about 4K rounds or so. I found one minor scratch on the slide at the muzzle end (Oh the horror!) and one minor scratch on the backstrap of the grip. I might try to buff those out, but I'm not really concerned about it. If I carry this like I expect to it will start seeing some wear.

We got home a bit early from our zoo trip yesterday so I decided to sneak off to the range for an hour to try out the P97. I am a bit light on FMJ .45 ammo at the moment. (gotta order some lead so I can load up some). I had a couple of boxes of Blazer Brass factory ammo on hand so I ran them through the gun to test for accuracy and function. I had no failures of any kind, which is what I expected. I'm also a bit light on carry ammo (Hornady TAP). I'm down to about 2 boxes, which is less than the minimum I like to keep on hand. I only fired one magazine through the gun to start testing for function and accuracy of the ammo. (I'll reserve carrying this one until I can run more TAP through it).

Now the target pics:

First let me say that I'm sorry for the redneck targets, I ran off to the range so quick that I left the bag with my staple gun and good targets at home. I found a couple of printed targets in the truck along with some stick ons, my range notebook and a roll of duct tape. I improvised.

Also a note about how I shoot. At close range (7-10 yds) I tend to shoot fairly quickly. Not what I'd exactly call rapid fire but as soon as the front sight settles from the last shot I'm sending the next one on it's way. At the 20-25 yd line I tend to slow down and go for slowfire/best accuracy. For me this is an habitual thing. I have trouble slowing down at closer distances without concentrating a good bit to do it.

First target shot. Seven yards Blazer Brass 8 shots freehanded.

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/P97%20Range%20report/P97%207%20yds%20off%20hand%201st%20group%20fired.JPG

I then moved the target to the 25 yd mark and benched the P97 on my Caldwell Deadshot sandbag. 8 shots, blazer brass 25yd benched.

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/P97%20Range%20report/P97%2025%20yd%20Benched%20Blazer%20Brass%202nd%20group%20ever.JPG

As a comparison I swapped out for my P345 and did the same thing at 25 yds.

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/P97%20Range%20report/P345%20Blazer%20Brass%20Benched%2025%20yd..JPG

As a side note I see I'm still shooting a bit left at that distance with the P345 when I take as much of the me factor out of it as I can. I'm gonna have to drift that rear sight again I think, but that's for later. I'll also do a full side by side comparison of the P90, 97, and 345 when I have more ammo and time on my hands.

Another 7 yd freehanded group with the P97 and Blazer Brass

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/P97%20Range%20report/P97%20Blazer%20Brass%207%20yd..JPG

Then a 20 yd freehanded group with Blazer Brass. The shot to the low right was a called flier. I jerked the trigger, mea culpa.

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/P97%20Range%20report/P97%2020%20yd%20freehand%20Blazer%20Brass.JPG

Now for the only group shot with my carry ammo. Hornady TAP 230 Gr. +P at 7 yds, 9 rounds. This was shot in my semi-rapid fire mode, from a holster draw.

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/P97%20Range%20report/P97%20TAP%207%20yd%20-%209%20shots.JPG

Overall I'm very pleased. The gun feels good in the hand, points very naturally for me, and recoil is very manageable. I find the recoil to be very similar to the P90 and a bit more pronounced than the P345, though not terribly so.

After I was done shooting I did some dry fire practice and draw/dry fire. Also did some quick mag change practice. One thing I found interesting about the P97 is it seems to shoot the mags out the bottom. They don't just drop free they fly free. My P345 and P90 are not quite that forceful I don't think. A nice feature too....

jakeswensonmt
August 27, 2007, 11:47 AM
Nice pix, good shooting, but I wanted to see the guns too!

rantingredneck
August 27, 2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah. I been thinking of doing some pics of side by side comparisons with the three to show the differences in size. I'll try to do that later and post it here.

rantingredneck
August 28, 2007, 06:48 PM
Side by side:
http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/Ruger%20.45%20family%20photos/side%20by%20side%20comparison.JPG
Slide thickness comparison pic from above:
http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/Ruger%20.45%20family%20photos/thickness%20comparison.JPG
Grip thickness at the magwell comparison pic:
http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/Ruger%20.45%20family%20photos/Grip%20thickness%20at%20the%20magwell.JPG

Notice in the photos above and the measurements below that the P345, while the smallest of the three overall, has the longest sight radius of the three.

Some measurements for you as measured by my Lyman steel calipers:

P345:
Grip thickness (measured at web of hand): 1.046"
Slide thickness (measured at slidestop): 1.151"
Height (measured at tallest point): 5.318"
Trigger reach: 2.838"
Sight radius: 5.870"

P97:
Grip thickness (measured at web of hand): 1.121"
Slide thickness (measured at slidestop): 1.290"
Height (measured at tallest point): 5.434"
Trigger reach: 2.838"
Sight radius: 5.220"

P90:
Grip thickness (measured at web of hand): 1.310" (with hogue rubber wraparounds)
Slide thickness (measured at slidestop): 1.390"
Height (measured at tallest point): 5.434"
Trigger reach: 2.935"
Sight radius: 5.705"

JohnKSa
August 28, 2007, 11:05 PM
rantingredneck,

Good posts--lots of information.

rantingredneck
August 29, 2007, 06:46 PM
Thank you,

I try to help where I can :)

Having shot all three of the Ruger .45ACP platforms I can wholeheartedly endorse any of them as accurate and reliable firearms. If you're in the market for a high quality and reasonably priced .45 choose the one that fits your hands/needs and don't look back.