PDA

View Full Version : Question for Keltec owners

Jkwas
August 25, 2007, 08:17 PM
Just purchased a Keltec P3AT. Stripped and cleaned it for firing, and I noticed there is discoloration or rust staining on the inside of the barrel. I brushed and cleaned it, but it almost appeared cloudy in appearance. Is this normal or should I be concerned? It doesn't appear pitted. I'm thinking I might run some ammo thru before I rush to any hasty conclusions, and then seeing if it improves the bore. I know it's not an expensive gun, and they are said to be roughly finished. I was just curious if anyone else had this experience.

Ocraknife
August 25, 2007, 11:07 PM
My P3AT's bore isn't as shiny as some of my other pistols but I didn't notice any rust. It your barrel pitted or was there just some dirt in there?

EEL92fs
August 25, 2007, 11:22 PM
No rust or pitting on mine. Just make sure you get the EJECTOR back in when you strip the gun. The EJECTOR is a little black block.. I found mine on the floor and did not know what the heck it was.

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3atparts.html

Jkwas
August 26, 2007, 07:09 AM
I just joined and posted the same question on the Keltec Forum and they booted me out as a troll. What's up with that? :confused:

PaulBk
August 26, 2007, 10:03 AM
I just joined and posted the same question on the Keltec Forum and they booted me out as a troll. What's up with that?

ktog.org or ktrange.org ?

-Paul

Jkwas
August 26, 2007, 11:43 AM
ktrange.org No explanation given. The mod just said "good first/last post".

The Barrel had a lot of crud in it, as did most of the gun. Everything else cleaned up spotless. Maybe it's just from the Heat Treatment, who knows. I'm going to shoot it and see if it's all good. If it is, I'll just deal with it. I didn't buy it for its looks, I just want it to run good.

nate45
August 26, 2007, 11:57 AM
If it's brand new I would call Kel-Tec customer service.

When I got mine it had extraction problems.

I called and told them and they sent the new style extractor no questions asked.

1-800-515-9983 Kel-Tec

Jkwas
August 26, 2007, 12:01 PM
I think it might be normal. I just "lifted" this picture off the KTOG forum.
Take a look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/TxCajun/KTOG/FrontView.jpg

Mine looks just like the one on the right. Apparently this is normal. Now I can't wait to shoot it! :D

PaulBk
August 26, 2007, 12:35 PM
ktrange.org No explanation given. The mod just said "good first/last post".

That explains everything :)

That particular mod has a very stringent policy regarding posting. Your first post MUST be from a home/business account, no yahoo or hotmail etc. It MUST be in the specified forum following the specified rules. Violate this and you're gone for life. I found this bs hardly justified the value of the forum.

www.ktog.org has better info and far less crap.

YMMV

-Paul

EEL92fs
August 26, 2007, 12:36 PM
yeah the guys at ktrange.com can be alittle rude and will ban you if you dont post your first post in the right place and stuff. Its still a good place to get info.

michael t
August 26, 2007, 10:45 PM
I have a little KT section at http://bersatalk.com as many members own them as well I have 3 Kt's
So come over their I let you do 2 posts befor I boot you:D

Ralph2
August 27, 2007, 04:27 AM
My break in for a Kel-Tec is to shoot a box of ammo, clean the barrel with JB Bore Paste, then go on from there as Normal.

My most accurate P3AT has a grubby bore that has what looks like tool chatter marks on the lands of the rifling. It is a first generation gun like the left hand gun in the picture posted above. Other than the ugly bore it's never had a problem.

hoytinak
August 27, 2007, 08:22 PM
Kel-Tec only uses stainless steel for their barrels on their hardchromed guns. The blued guns use a different steel in their barrels and it's normal for them to have little rust stains and discoloring in them.

Sarge
August 27, 2007, 08:50 PM
If the outside of the barrel is parkerized, the inside probably is too. I have seen this on a few 1911 barrels and they just don't look as slick inside as a nice blued, nickeled or well-finished stainless barrel does.

About 500-600 rounds seems to straighten those right up.

Bill DeShivs
August 27, 2007, 09:26 PM
Keltec uses 4140 carbon steel in all their barrels, including the hard chromed guns.

hoytinak
August 27, 2007, 09:38 PM
Keltec uses 4140 carbon steel in all their barrels, including the hard chromed guns.

I had to look into it myself, thanks for correcting me Bill. ;)