PDA

View Full Version : yugo sks will not rechamber rounds..!! ahhA

biglabsrule
July 19, 2007, 08:02 PM
I just bought a Yugo SKS yesturday, cleaned the piss out of it last night and then again this morning.

Everything seems ok but it won't chamber the next round. It fires the first round and even fails to eject the spent case...

I tore the whole thing apart, the gas cylinder is clean, rods slide fine, no broken parts to be seen... just blowing my mind...

Anyone know anything I should try? I can't understand why it wouldn't be even ejecting the casings... I'm no gun smith but can tear them down and usualy do pretty well, Thought I'd check here before going crazy, maybe someone could jusgest checking this or that?

Thank You,

biglabsrule
July 19, 2007, 08:04 PM
PS, the gas piston had two rings cut into it, should there be piston rings or O-rings on these grooves? Just a thought maybe?

leadcounsel
July 19, 2007, 08:05 PM
Easy fix. On the front of the rifle there is a small knob which can be moved into two different positions. This channels the gas and is used for the grenade launcher. Move the knob to the other position and this will channel gases back to the bolt/receiver instead of forward for the grenade launcher.

biglabsrule
July 19, 2007, 08:13 PM
Ok, was excited at first but then let down lol, Mine has the grenade launcher removed. It's stamped yugo 59 but they had both and I took the one minus the launcher(never would use it, why carry the weight?).... TY anyways...

PTR 91
July 19, 2007, 08:22 PM
Make sure the gas port is fully cleaned/not plugged. Make sure the spring under the sights is working properly. Also see if the gas tube is corectly locked into place.

USMCG_HMX1
July 19, 2007, 08:30 PM
Sounds like you might have a gummed up bolt and extractor. If you're not familar with taking apart the bolt, take some solvent and immerse the bolt in it over night preferably in an upright position with the bolt face facing down.

Remove it the next morning and use a spent case to see if the extractor and extractor spring are moving freely without any binding.

Kris

biglabsrule
July 19, 2007, 08:34 PM
I was leaning toward something to do with the bolt ext... I've had it all apart a good half dozen times but havent seen anything wrong with them.. cleaned them very well..

The bolt does stick slightly, do you take a file to something causing the problem? lube the crap out of it?

TomG160
July 19, 2007, 09:02 PM
this is a common problem with yugos. I had the same problem... bolt is driven back just not enough to eject the spent shell. In my research I found that it is due to a gas leak at the front end of the gas tube (where the tube meets up to the port is not tight). I wrapped a fine paperclip around mine (the port... you'll be able to tell where it should go) to form a type of 0-ring. Now it kicks out every empty confidently. If you had the gas selector, new inserts are being manufactured that will cure your problem, but I am less familiar with your variant.

Hope I'm right and hope I helped...
Tom

jbrown
July 19, 2007, 10:02 PM
this is a known problem for 59/66 yugo sks's.some need this replacement valve,some dont. Mine didnt ,I have seen a few of these guns that wouldnt function,but were in perfect condition.this replacement gas valve should fix your problem.It is the part with the switch for the grenade launcher,it shouldnt matter that you dont have the launcher installed anymore.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stainless-Steel-SKS-YUGO-Gas-valve-replacement-M-59-66_W0QQitemZ150143467891QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73952QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

frankxd
July 20, 2007, 09:59 AM
M59's never had the grenade launcher. It was added with the 59/66.

If you are sure that the gas hole is not plugged (I clean mine with pipe cleaners), then you may have a gas leak. You can wrap some tape around where the gas cylinder meets the barrel and fire it to test this. If the tape gets blown apart, then you have a gas leak and may need a new cylinder. Do not fire many rounds with the tape in place, because it will melt ;).