PDA

View Full Version : Winnies

weed
July 19, 2007, 01:36 PM
What"s wrong with them? Nobody seems to use them any more;
for target shooting or beach rest or even suggest them for much
other than wall hangers.I have a new modle 70 that shoots pertty
well out of the box.I bought this LHR Loredo 300 second hand.
Kevin

pesta2
July 19, 2007, 02:04 PM
Becasue they are not being manufactured anymore.

essexcounty
July 20, 2007, 02:32 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong! I have some experience with a couple of pre 64's, but more with the new models. I have a 770 in '06 that is a great shooter. A 1964 Vintage ( before the G prefix ) that's as practical as all get out and has suprised the owners of more refinded arms. It has scrapes, scratches and bluing wear. However it's as practical now as it was back when I was In High School. Keep them shooting. Essex

Rembrandt
July 20, 2007, 03:26 PM
...Nobody seems to use them any more;
for target shooting or beach rest or even suggest them for much
other than wall hangers.

Winchester hasn't made a target gun for nearly 25 years. Since management saw no profitable interest in making target guns, other companies siezed the opportunity to take those customers. Model 52 target guns were the ones to beat for nearly 70 years.

If you want to be known for accurate rifles, you need to offer equipment for the serious competitor.

mudstud
July 20, 2007, 07:25 PM
Weed,
You need to start hanging around with a different class of people! :D I don't much care about target shooting or bench rest shooting, except as how it relates to my HUNTING rifles. The Model 70 has always been primarily a hunter's rifle. This was true for the famed pre-64, and the recently discontinued Model 70 Classic as well. Serious hunters and DG hunters often have a preference for a CRF action, and the appropriate Model 70's often find favor.

Having said all that, there is nothing wrong with the older push-feed actions, or the newer CRPF actions for an accuracy oriented rifle (or hunting rifles either). All Model 70's are capable of fine, if not exceptional accuracy, including the CRF Classic models. I shot pretty much nothing but Remington 700s for about 25 years, until Winchester introduced the Classic Model 70, and to cut to the chase, most of my hunting battery is now Model 70 Classics. I still have many of my old 700's, a select group of the best ones, but I do prefer the Classic for a hunting rifle. After shooting 700's for all those years, I found the Model 70 Classic to be, on average, more accurate than the 700's I have shot. And required less tinkering to get them to shoot. But, still, the two most accurate sporter rifles I have ever owned are 700's.

My prairie dog shooters remain Remingtons, only because I've been too preoccupied with my hunting rifle battery to get into changing out sod poodle shooters to Model 70's. Not because I think a 70 isn't up to the task. I really regret not buying a Coyote Lite in 22-250 when I had the chance.

Bottom line, shoot your Model 70 and be happy! Don't worry about what the hoi polloi are shooting! :D:D:D

Fat White Boy
July 20, 2007, 09:08 PM
I have a Model 70 in .270 that I bought at Wally World. It is my pig gun. It is very accurate, all the holes touch at 100 yards...