PDA

View Full Version : for you AR guys here

jr05
July 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
I am looking to get a .22lr upper for my AR and wanted to know what was recommended. I am looking to get a complete upper that I can just slap on a lower and be good to go. I have been looking at spikes tactical and bushmaster so far.

Does anybody have experience with either of these or could recommend the best .22lr upper for me? (plinking, not a match uppper).

PS. I would post this on ar15.com but for some reason they will not take gmail, etc email addresses for registration!

Thanks,
JR

joeranger
July 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
The Ar15 guys all recommend the "ciener" kit.

shaggy
July 19, 2007, 12:51 PM
I had a Ciener kit - out of the box they don't work for crap, but if you're prepared to polish and fiddle with it they can be made to run very reliably. Usually this means getting rid of the lousy chamber adapter that comes on the stock Ciener kit by way of a dedicated .22 barrel. Rick Kuehl came up with the idea and made fantastic .22 uppers based upon the Ciener kit and his special .22 barrel (http://www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com), but unfortunately Rick isn't making uppers anymore. I think the Spike's upper is virtually the same thing and I've heard several reports that the Spike's Tactical upper is very good. I've got a barrel on order with Kuehl, but will probably get a complete upper from Spike's in the near future.

Look down this forum - VUPDBlue posted some pics of his Spike's Tactical upper and seems to be very happy with it.

VUPDblue
July 19, 2007, 01:49 PM
And happy with it I am! I just got home from the range, and with my Aimpoint, I was getting one ragged hole at 25 yards. I flipped up the irons and was getting a similar hole at 50 yards. Not one single malfunction (again) and this time it was 300 rounds. I can't say enough good things about my Spike's upper. I am going to shoot mine in a steel plate match at my local club in a couple weeks. Looks like I will have to be practicing with it some more...

Chris Phelps
July 19, 2007, 02:28 PM
CZ 22LR uppers are about $250, and quite reliable. That is probably about your cheapest way to go, unless you can make one of the adapter kits work. Personally, though, I don't like the thought of putting a lead unjacketed round through my 5.56 chambered barrels. I'd just buy the upper.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=108238

VUPDblue
July 19, 2007, 04:39 PM
My CZ .22 upper was about a hair away from being thrown in the lake when I first got it and tried to run it. It works good now, but darn the endless hours of tweaking the damn thing.

donkee
July 20, 2007, 08:39 AM
what optionsw do you have for magazines with the CZ complete upper? A 10 round mag is about worthless as far as I'm concerned. I just started thinking about getting a .22 conversion or dedicated upper.

VUPDblue
July 20, 2007, 12:32 PM
Black Dog is going to release 30rnd mags for the V22 at the end of August, or at leat that is the going rumor. It should make that upper very popular.

Chris Phelps
July 20, 2007, 04:40 PM
Indeed. Too bad you can't even find them kicking around anywhere. I hunted for half an hour when I read this post, looking for a link to share, but nothing turned up. Not even on CZs website. :(

VUPDblue
July 20, 2007, 10:34 PM
Nope. There is a place in the UK that supposedly sells them, but I have never personally seen one and they have never answered any of my emails. The BDM mags should be a hot commodity.