PDA

View Full Version : target rifles

smenkhare
July 19, 2007, 04:38 AM
Ok, i know i said that i wanted a marlin, but having finally sent in my license application and reading that marlins aren't very good as target rifles, (review said good for hunting, lousy for target shooting.) i'm now looking less at new budget rifles and more at second hand higher grade rifles.

The disciplines i'm interested in are field and running target (which i believe is an olympic event?)

I've seen some anschultz rifles for between $50 and $200. This sound like a good deal? would older models have the same accuracy as their new ones? what else is out there designed for competitive shooting?

sorry for constantly posting these sorts of threads but since we can't just go out and buy a gun whenever we feel like, i want to make really sure I get the right thing first time.

Benonymous
July 19, 2007, 06:33 AM
So I guess you're looking at a .22LR huh? If that is so then an Anschutz is a fine rifle. The true target models go for substantially more than $50-200. I'd say those prices would be for older hunting style rifles. Nonetheless they are a well respected brand and can be expected to shoot as well as any other .22. If the rifle is in good condition I'd say you stand a good chance of getting a good first rifle. There are probably newer domestic brands that you could get, less used, that would probably do the job too.

mikejonestkd
July 19, 2007, 08:13 AM
I suggest going to an event and finding out what makes and models the competitors are using.

Some matches are informal with a bit of leeway about the tye of rifle, sights, weight and so forth. Others can be very strict about which models are legal for use in a particular match.

Go to a match and ask as many questions as you can about what the guys/gals are using.

It is hard to go wrong with an anschutz...even a 30 year old used anschutz will probably shoot better than most of us are capable of holding it. Just make sure you get one that will meet the regs of the matches you are interested in.

Leif
July 19, 2007, 11:26 AM
That price seems far too low for an Anschutz of any type in decent condition. I'd be wary.

NOok
July 19, 2007, 11:34 PM
I use these as a target rifles, and outshoot plenty of shooters with Anschutzes and decked out 10/22s. 50+ years old, dime sized 50M groups. You can get em at a good gun shows for well under $200. ( Mossberg 46's)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/NOOk_023/bp2.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/NOOk_023/bs1.jpg

oldbillthundercheif
July 20, 2007, 12:01 AM
Get an Anschutz and you will never regret it. Nothing is better as far as .22 rifles go.

The only downside is that you will be forever spoiled by these rifles. Other .22s that you thought were OK or pretty nice will become "junk". It's unavoidable.

If you can find an old club rifle for that kind of price, jump on it. I've never run across an Anschutz that I considered to be "worn out". The rifles will be outshooting the shooter long after the first few owners are dead.

smenkhare
July 20, 2007, 02:07 AM
I use these as a target rifles, and outshoot plenty of shooters with Anschutzes and decked out 10/22s. 50+ years old, dime sized 50M groups. You can get em at a good gun shows for well under $200. ( Mossberg 46's)

how do they do at 200m?

That price seems far too low for an Anschutz of any type in decent condition. I'd be wary.

too low?
thanks for that.
this is why i love this group.
A gunshop recently sponsored someone with a weatherby vanguard. They look pretty good but haven't seen any 2nd hand ones.

oldbillthundercheif
July 20, 2007, 03:52 AM
I don't think that price is too low. There are a lot of old rifles from shooting teams and clubs that will probably be well-worn, have numbers painted on them, the finish will be worn or rusty, ect...

$200 would be just right for an old beater wedge-stock 1903 or 1907 Anschutz. I'll take one if there is another one to be had.

You are not going to get one with an adjustable hook-stock or a bunch of goodies for that price, but there is nothing wrong with the beat-up club guns. If you find a 1907 with a weird blue and white emblem on the right side and a number 13 on the other side, I'll pay you a generous finders fee for its return. I was broke when the team dissolved and it got sold off. It was a damn nice rifle.

NOok
July 20, 2007, 05:17 PM
I would grab this one if I hadn't already reached my wife's 10-gun limit already.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=76115865