PDA

View Full Version : Is there a very long rifle range accessible to you?

FirstFreedom
July 18, 2007, 08:55 AM
See poll.

Magnum Wheel Man
July 18, 2007, 09:17 AM
I own my own 300 yard range...

bobn
July 18, 2007, 09:18 AM
hm, there are long range/ranges within 70 miles to me. in minn that is considered close, lol. but they are not just pull up, pay up and shoot ranges.
....one i am even a life time member of and have to ask permision to use it. the other it is protected by over zelous hi power shooters. even the long range buffalo rifle shooters have to bow down to the hiearchy.
....i realize the nature of long range shooting does present safety issues. so i am not sure there is a good solution. sorry for digressing on your thread, bobn

p99guy
July 18, 2007, 09:25 AM
Living in the Fort Worth area, the closest 1000 range that the public can use
is TacPro in Mingus(you cant shoot at the 1000 till you prove your ability to the staff)...about 80 miles away. The second is in Waco (Tiger Vally) approx 95miles

boltgun71
July 18, 2007, 09:26 AM
I have access to a couple different 300-400yd ranges with-in 25 miles of my home(s). A few more around a hour or so away. There is very few 500yd+ ranges in my state period, none are close for me. I do all of my 400yd+ shooting on private(usually farm) lands near me.

ragwd
July 18, 2007, 09:28 AM
I have one available to me at 90 minute drive on the highway. So I get alot of 100 yard practice!

Ocraknife
July 18, 2007, 09:47 AM
There is nothing like that around me, only a 100 yard range. The used to have a 200 yard area but it is closed. I would love to find someone around here with a private range who would let me pay him to use it.

lemmonhead
July 18, 2007, 10:26 AM
There is a 1000 yd range about 5 miles from my house. There was a 1000 yd match there last week. The town is surrounded miles upon miles of BLM so technically I could shoot 1000 yards in a number of places if I want to mark the distances myself.

FirstFreedom
July 18, 2007, 10:34 AM
I suppose the second to last option *should* read "250-450 yards" instead of "200-500".

Manedwolf
July 18, 2007, 10:37 AM
Unfortunately not any that do not require a sponsored membership that costs hundreds of dollars a year and requires you to go to monthly meetings of old men. :rolleyes:

homefires
July 18, 2007, 11:13 AM
We had access to the National Guard range. 50,100,200 and 300 yards. They closed it to the public. Two years ago, The City constructed a new pistol range Law Enforcement only! I have access to a old gravel pit that is good for 300 yards. Other then that you drive like 50 miles to the Dana Anna County range. They have 4 pistol ranges with covers, 2 , 100 yard covered ranges and one uncovered 1000 yard slot.

Jim :barf: :rolleyes:

JohnKSa
July 18, 2007, 11:20 AM
There's a semi-private 300 yard range about 70 miles away. You either have to be a member or pay a $40 daily fee.

Everything closer is 200 yards or shorter. There are a couple of 1000 yard ranges within reasonable driving distance (2hrs or less.)

hps1
July 18, 2007, 11:28 AM
Our club obtained an open ended lease on an old, abandoned National Guard range and we rebuilt it to conduct NRA approved HP rifle matches. The guard only shot to 500 yards but we were (barely) able to squeeze in 600 yards with only 25 yards or so behind the 600 yard firing line. We have 10 pulling targets w/pits.

At the time we acquired the property, we had a very active highpower program, so were fortunate enought to get a lot of volunteers to handle the smaller details and hired the dirt moving eqpt., cement work, etc. Even with the volunteers, we spent 5 figures (about 1/5 of which was a grant from the Friends of NRA and another 1/5 a loan from NRA Range Development. Part of the money came from life memberships @ 10 x annual membership rate. Annual dues are $45 after paying a one time initiation fee of $25.

One of our largest expenditures was pushing up a 35' high x 175' wide dirt backstop; 2nd largest cost was the target pit retaining wall and cement block target house in the pits.

All members have a key to gate come/go as they please and can use the 100,200 yard rifle and the 50 yard smallbore and pistol range. Only those members holding an Expert NRA card may use the 300 - 600 yard range.

This range is 45 miles, but that is "near" in Tx.:)

Regards,
hm

PS Details on how we financed the range provided to give an idea what help is available in event your club thinking about building a range. Texas Parks & Wildlife also has a range development fund which can be accessed, but there are some strings (open to non-member public) which we were not in a position to handle as it would require staffing.

hps1
July 18, 2007, 11:45 AM
Manedwolf: Unfortunately not any that do not require a sponsored membership that costs hundreds of dollars a year and requires you to go to monthly meetings of old men.

:) I would suspect that these "old men" are the club directors, who are the target of any lawsuits that might be lodged against the club. Been there, done that!:eek: I suspect the purpose of requiring attendance at the meetings is so that any range safety issues can be flushed out.
Our club conducts only one meeting a year at which time a range safety orientation is presented prior to issuing keys. If a member cannot make that meeting, any club director can/will give the orientation on match day for his discipline and will issue keys.

Sometimes knowing the reasons behind a rule makes it a bit more palatable.

Regards,
hm

USMCGrunt
July 18, 2007, 11:46 AM
When I farmed in North Dakota, the range I had was 1000 meters or 1100 yards. However since I now live in Florida, the longest range I've seen down here is 200 meters and I think the range around Goldsboro, NC is 100 yards. The South just isn't any kind of country for riflemen I guess. :(

rgitzlaff
July 18, 2007, 12:11 PM
I am fortunate enough to live about 12 miles from a 1200 yard range with 30 firing points!

ZeroJunk
July 18, 2007, 12:17 PM
I'm fortunate.We have a power line right through our lease.1000 yards would be as simple as measuring it off if I was ever in the mood.

Picher
July 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
I shoot across my son's 500 yard commercial blueberry field, but we don't have a permanent range set up. I have a very strong aluminum folding work platform that works well as a benchrest.

I also have a laser rangefinder, so I set up my bench and targets to shoot parallel to the wind most of time. After setting up the benchrest, I walk up/downwind and check the distance as I get close to the distance I want to shoot. It's great to be able to do that. We just built a house there less than two years ago. He has 150 acres adjacent to my two acres and the nearest houses are more than a mile away through the forest.

Most of the shooting we do is between 50 and 300 yards, but I check my .270 Win at 450-500 yards prior to deer season.

Picher

dustinlowery
July 18, 2007, 12:32 PM
i use my parents hayfield roughly 600m north to south but it drops down as it goes south

mathman
July 18, 2007, 01:08 PM
Yes...the mojave desert.

essexcounty
July 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
In my neck of the woods there is no such thing as 500 yards without a hill or a mountian in the way. Some folks set up temporaily on the pipeline for a few hours and peck away....Essex

USMCG_HMX1
July 18, 2007, 01:58 PM
I've got one that's in Parma, ID .... about 45 mins from the Boise area. They have a pistol range setup for IDPA, a long gun range out to at least 600 yards, and a smaller pistol/small rifle range.

I've been looking for a better paying job so I can get into IDPA, since the current job only pays enough for only a few trips a year.

Kris

Dirty_Harry
July 18, 2007, 02:07 PM
The closest one to meis still 120 miles away, and it is only 100 yards. It is a very nice range however. Anyone ever go to the DNR range in Huntington, Indiana here?

Scorch
July 18, 2007, 02:43 PM
I have a 600 yds range within 5 miles of my home, another about 30 miles, and two 200 yds ranges within 15 miles. Now if I could just get the time to shoot in every match I want to, I would be happy.

joshua
July 18, 2007, 03:18 PM
When I was stationed in Utah there are plenty of open ranges using the side of a hill or mountain as a bullet stop. I tried shooting 1000 yards and it's a very humbling experience. josh

tINY
July 18, 2007, 06:19 PM
My gun club has 200 and 300 yard pits on the normal range with a 600 yard firing line that uses the same pit as the 300. So.... it's only open on occasion.

Of course, I know of a couple of places within 30min in the woods where you can set up a 600 yard range over a recent clear-cut.

The favorite gravel pit out in the woods keeps getting longer too - it's about 250 yards now......

-tINY

Big-Foot
July 18, 2007, 06:32 PM
1000 yd range 10 min away. :)

Edward429451
July 18, 2007, 07:07 PM
The public range is only 13 miles and has 25/50/100/SG ranges. If I want to drive 20 miles I can shoot up to 500. Just a nice clearcut valley in the mountains. I've only shot to 300 so far and did better than I thought I would.

sneaky pete
July 18, 2007, 08:04 PM
Old Sneaky here: As the title says the closest Range for me is up in that Third World Country MIAMI, and it's 170 miles -one way. and it's only a 100 yarder. Those Vatos up there promiced a range to 600 and passed a bond issue for several Millions to build it BUT then over some Cuban coffees and cigars decided that they were going to use the money to build a Luxury building/Club house and improve the Sporting clays and skeet ranges and us rifl shooter got to suck hind T--. Our club matches register @07:00 and start shooting @ 08:00--So I drive up on Friday,get a motel, and then on Sat.morning the drive is only 20 minutes. The drive to the range from my house normaly takes 3 1/2 hours in light traffic. And in our county "Monroe"( we call it "Moron" county) it's ILLEGAL to discharge a fiearm. BUT the fishng is great !! SO--come on down and drownd some bait. THANX--SNEAKY

4V50 Gary
July 18, 2007, 08:26 PM
I've got a 45-70 Trapdoor. That'll reach a mile.

Gewehr98
July 18, 2007, 10:57 PM
1000 yards at Lodi = Happy G-98. :D

ARmasterzach
July 18, 2007, 11:36 PM
Id like to know of any 500+ ranges on the west side of dfw that dont cost a fortune if anybody knows of one. all ive got is some land with maybe 300yards and thats through trees and across fields without knowing whats beyond so ive never really tried it. there is a range near me with 300 yards but im not a member since i havnt shot long range in so long. Ide like to get into it though with my AR:D

rugerdude
July 19, 2007, 02:25 AM
I have a 600 yard range within 40 minutes of me. It really isn't that far, but the way the highways take you makes the trip longer.

They have a 1,000 yard range but to use it you have to shoot over the rimfire/pistol, pistol, benchrest, centerfire silouette, plinking, IDPA and action pistol ranges and the clubhouse so the only time the 1,000 yard range gets used is when they close down the ENTIRE gun club so a few guys can shoot at 1,000 yards. The skeet ranges aren't in the way, but you can't use them because you would need to drive through the field of fire to get to them.

After a couple weeks of waiting, I finally got my dad to go with me so that I could bring my friend (teenagers can shoot by themselves, but not bring a teenage guest), only to find that the whole range had been closed down for a 1,000 yard match. I've only been to this range like...3 times! It's a big deal for me!:mad:

I was NOT a happy camper, but luckily the wobble trap is in a different area and so we just shot trap. Now I need to do the whole thing again:(

Scott
July 19, 2007, 10:03 AM
Reading, MA is about 45 minutes north of me (on the other side of Boston)
The club there has a 600 yd range and a full schedule year 'round.
As I understand it, Mass Rifle Association had a thousand yard range until the 1950s when the state highway cut through it.

GM-GUY
July 19, 2007, 11:08 AM
I have my sportsmans club 10 minute drive with a 100yd.

I have contacted my local landfill folks (Waste Management) about using the closed and capped area for ranges. They are sending the idea to the HQ, Closed Sites Group.

By google earth there are areas for 400 yd or more ranges.

If your town has a private landfill that is closed, contact them, if you have BFI or some other co., give them a try - you never know.

My ideal range is on my own 5+ acre (10+ would be nice) new home. I am looking in southern NH, my wife is looking in northern MA, I hope I win.

SAFE, HAPPY, ACCURATE SHOOTING :D

Leif
July 19, 2007, 11:25 AM
I'm fairly certain that there are no long-range ranges near me, only shorties. I'm probably unaware of some private clubs, though.

I'm seriously contemplated going entirely to shotgun and rimfire, since that's all I seems to shoot anymore.

dbgun
July 19, 2007, 12:09 PM
I don't know of a 300+ range near Houston, that's open to the public. I guess it doesn't matter, I don't see me taking a shot tlonger that 200 yards, any time soon.