PDA

View Full Version : 308 ammo/milsurp

Kentucky
July 17, 2007, 10:28 PM
Anything that you old timers recommend or not recommend for M1a? I know it is all getting harder to find and want to be sure I get the "right stuff"

Thanks!

jrothWA
July 17, 2007, 10:46 PM
okay, need to try and confirm handling practises. (As in, keeped cool and dry)
Some foreign avoid in the Pakistanie stuff. SOME Cavim espcially late issue.

Some Lithuanian ammo is supposed to be fantastic but only what I heard.

Some Winchester White Box M80 is back on the market, always had good experience, any LC ammo GET IT!!

That's my .02$ worth. Good Luck.

USMCG_HMX1
July 17, 2007, 11:49 PM
The Indian (as in India) is supposed to corrosive as heck.

Kris

MisterPX
July 18, 2007, 01:28 AM
Aussie, Port, SA, and Hirt are all great ammo.

44 AMP
July 19, 2007, 05:40 PM
No commercial .308 Winchester ammo (hunting/sporting loads). 150gr FMJ is ok.

If handloading, keep loads to GI spec for pressure/velocity. If you want to hotrod the .308, do it in a bolt gun.

Don't use 180gr SP RN. Some guns can shave a little lead from the nose, and that can build up, causing problems.

Best results more often with medium weight bullets. Extreme heavy or light often not good.

Chard
July 19, 2007, 06:48 PM
Wrong ammo and most likely a bent op rod. Not cheap.

Currently in my area the surplus is available at .50 a pop for South African.:eek:

I have two of them to feed.:mad:

Regards,
Chard

Kentucky
July 19, 2007, 10:13 PM
I am in for some expense I see.

Ailean Mac an Daroch
July 20, 2007, 12:47 PM
I feed a couple of M1As and, yes, it can get to be very addictive and expensive quickly! But there are ways to help out.

First - learn to handload! Hornady's current manual has two good sections. One on how to get started and another specificly on the M14 - M1A and reloading for it.

Second - there are several good places to purchase 7.62x51 brass and decent "pulled" military bullets. Save the big cash for competitions and such. $20-25 for 100 of Sierra's 168 BTHP gets you broke fast! But $50-60 for a whole 1000 of the "pulls" will often do a lot better for having fun.

Third - Join the www.M-14forum.com group. Without doubt it is one of the very best sites on the web for this type weapon. The info and links you can find there will aid you immensely.

Finally - have fun! :D