PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about 7mm Remington Mag?

RocketFoot
July 17, 2007, 03:03 PM
Just curious...I just got a good deal on a Remy 700 SPS in 7mm mag. I have always wanted a 7mm mag for an all purpose gun. I can hunt everything from chucks to bear. I'd just like to hear some other points of view on this round. Pros and cons...

PainterJohn
July 17, 2007, 03:07 PM
I have a stainless ruger 77 in 7 rem.mag. DEADLY ACCURATE!!! but, for woodchucks it is a bit much. I just bought a 204. For an allaround gun, I like 243 win. FWIW.

essexcounty
July 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
A 7 Mag is great for bear. I chuck hunted a nice FN Supreme most of one Summer. It was a Great example of Overkill. A wonderful cartridge, but not ideal for small critters..........Essex

2rugers
July 17, 2007, 03:18 PM
I had a 7 mag. that I hunted with a few seasons.

Good caliber but I ended up selling it to buy a .300 win. and I feel that is a better choice for me.

The 7 is a bit heavy for most hunting (deer etc.) and a bit light for bear, moose etc.

It will of course work for everything just like an '06 but there are better choices for an all'rounder.

nate45
July 17, 2007, 03:19 PM
The 7mm Rem Mag is a great cartridge. The .287 dia has a wide range of weights to choose from with good sectional density my favorite is the 160gr spitzer flat base. I've had a 700 Rem,Ruger No. 1 and a Steyr in 7mag and they all were very accurate.

Mike Irwin
July 17, 2007, 03:20 PM
Very fine cartridge, but that damned belt kills it for me.

Yellowfin
July 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
Great for everything deer/antelope sized and larger, but I'd shoot something cheaper and less punishing for varmits myself. $2 bucks and a bruise just isn't worth it for chucks to me. (Personally since I don't eat woodchucks and have no reason to kill them I leave them alone, but that's just me). If a .223 or even .243 will do, why blast your shoulder, ears, and wallet into oblivion?

taylorce1
July 17, 2007, 03:37 PM
Well I differ a little bit from the rest of the replys. I do have a M70 in 7mm Rem Mag and I find that it offers very little. The rifle is extremly accurate and definatly is capable of taking a lot of game, but it wouldn't be my first choice of rifle caliber to hunt big bruins with. If that is the caliber of hunting rifle you want I think you will be very pleased with it.

I use my .270 Win and plain old .30-06 more than I'll ever use the 7mm Rem Mag. My .270 doesn't give up much in the way of velocity, trajectory, and engergy to the 7mmRM and does it with less recoil, noise, and more rounds in the magazine. I've never needed all those extra rounds as long as I do my part behind the trigger. If I need a heavier bullet than the .270 offers me I step up into my .30-06 while not as flat shooting as my .270 or the 7mmRM, it will definatly do the job with bullets up to 220 grains. At normal hunting ranges with heavy bullets the .30-06 can pack quite a punch.

I know some guys will start quoting ballistic coefficents and sectional densitys as a reason the 7mm Rem Mag is a better choice than the two that I like. It is just I've taken from prairie dogs to black bear and elk from 25 yards to over 500 yards with the .270 & .30-06. At the range I consistantly get better groups with my .270 and .30-06 than my 7mmRM, but in all fairness I don't handload my 7mmRM yet.

All in all I think the 7mm Rem Mag is a good cartridge just not my flavor of choice.

rgitzlaff
July 17, 2007, 03:44 PM
I think it is a pretty good cartridge too. I have used it on deer for several years and now use it on the 1000 yard line. Haven't been in competition with it, but it does pretty well with 175 SMK's.

davlandrum
July 17, 2007, 05:12 PM
My buddy shoots one and it works well for him. I stuck with the -06. He uses his for deer and elk. He doesn't use it on varmits, but the way it shoots, I am sure he could.

SD_Chop
July 17, 2007, 05:31 PM
Love my 7mag. As stated before its a great all around cal. I usually shoot 150grain nosler BT's or 150Fusions and works great with deer

Kreyzhorse
July 17, 2007, 06:21 PM
Love the 7mm Rem Mag. It's my long range western gun. It is a bit of a kicker but not much worse than a 30.06. I would be comfortable using it up to moose size game but might want something nastier for something that bites back. Its reputation for accuracy seems well earned.

RocketFoot
July 17, 2007, 06:37 PM
Sounds like I did good! I wanted it mainly for deer but I will bust an occasional groundhog with it! :D

SD_Chop
July 17, 2007, 06:54 PM
hunt groundhogs? HA you should aim for the ground next to the little fella and hope the impact give him a heart attack cause if you hit one of those bad boys with a 7mag, might not be much left just a little heads up :D

FirstFreedom
July 17, 2007, 07:02 PM
I'm kinda with Mike and others - a bit "anti-magnum". It's just not needed for the kinds of things I shoot, and the belt makes it a pain to reload over time. I've owned 3 different rifles in 7 remmag because they're bought and sold all the time, being an extremely popular caliber around here - perhaps THE most popular caliber for bubba rifles, or perhaps second to .30-06. I always have ended up selling them because there's just no need for that sort of downrange energy, since the rifles that the cartridge is chambered in are not accurate enough to hit at the ranges such crazy energy might be needed. Now a .280 rem, OTOH - now THERE's a good caliber! :) Ditto for 7mm-08 and 7x57 mauser. For hunting rifles, I now stick with .50 muzzleloader, .243, .270 win, .30-'06, .45-70, and 9.3x62mm (which is akin to a .366-'06).

Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with 7 remmag if you can afford the ammo for it. It's definitely flat-shooting and delivers a lot of energy at short, medium, and long ranges. My opinion might be different if I lived out west - right now in the concurrent thread in Hunting I started about Mexican mulies, someone said something about a short-legged mulie strain in the Ariz-Calif border area desert, and the ol' boys who shoot at them from 500 yards plus. For that kind of purpose, I suppose it could come in handy.

RocketFoot
July 17, 2007, 07:03 PM
LOL, I've already done it! Kinda like hitting a Volkswagen with a cruise missle!

Mike Irwin
July 17, 2007, 08:41 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-magnum.

I'm anti-belts-on-magnums.

Magnum is really just a state of mind.

I've often said that 99.9% of all rifle and handgun cartridges are superfulous (sp?).

intruder
July 17, 2007, 09:21 PM
I use a 338 Lapua for ground hogs and my hunting partner uses a 300 mag. Not many hogs make it back to the hole. As for the 7mm Mag it a great round have three of them but I agree with a couple others posting a 270 or 280 will do anything a 7mm mag can do up to 300 yds then the 7mm mag is better. Good round I beleive it's a little over kill for deer, but who am I to talk I use a 338 on ground hogs. Don't worry about all the crap you hear on these sight. Practice with the gun shoot hogs use it for deer bear and anything else Get use to the gun become one with it any you'll out shoot most of us nimrods on these sights. There's an old saying beware of the man with one gun.

44 AMP
July 17, 2007, 09:53 PM
I don't feel strongly enough to buy one. Never have. Won't say never will, cause one day one might come alone at a price just too good to pass up (like free?), but until then, it is not interesting enough to me to tool up for another caliber, or spend a bunch of money.

I have shot them, they are impressive, on both ends. But so was the .300 Weatherby I got to play with. Even more so. But I haven't bought one of them either. A gaping hole in my collection, for sure, but until I have the time (and the cash), my only belted plaything is the .458 Win Mag I traded for a few years back.

ConfuseUs
July 18, 2007, 05:13 AM
I used a 7mm Rem Mag mod 700 w/ 175 grn softpoints to take a cow elk w/ 1 shot at 450 yds. Also have used it to take several deer w/ 150 grn Nosler ballistic tips out to 300 yds. It may be a little much for deer since it can utterly wreck a shoulder, but it overkill is better than underkill. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for bear. For 'chucks it is too much gun.

FirstFreedom
July 18, 2007, 03:16 PM
Couple of good quotes from this thread:

"Overkill is better than underkill."

"Magnum is really just a state of mind."

Hey Mike, after how many reloads (full length resizings) of a belted case could the dreaded bulge develop and be a problem (in as little as....) - 1, 2, 3, 4 reloads, what?

.338 lapua on ground hogs, tee hee. One instant they're wondering whether there's some food a few more steps away; the next instant they're wondering....really nothing at all - they are mist. :)

flashhole
July 18, 2007, 06:32 PM
Mine is a Sauer 202. I had both the 7mm Rem Mag barrel and a 300 Win Mag barrel and could interchange them. I sold the 300. I like the 7mm Rem Mag much better and I load from 175 grain bullets down to 139 grain bullets. I think the cartridge really shines with 160 grain loads and I like Retumbo powder.

My personal opinion on the 300 is it's too big for deer and too small for large bears and regardless of what you point it at you get hammered with stout recoil. A 7mm Rem Mag is significantly less felt recoil, at least in my gun.

The next jump up for me if I needed it would be a 338 something or other. I also shoot 45-70, 25-06, 243 Win, and 221 Fireball and hand load for all of them. The 7mm RM is easy to load for and I get good case life. Annealing the necks does extend brass longevity and I haven't yet tossed any 7mm Rem Mag in the trash because I wore them out. The only other cartridge I can say that about is the 45-70.

Lots of opinions on both sides of the fence but I think for an "overbore" cartridge the 7mm RM is about optimum.

BusGunner007
July 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
The 7mm Rem.Mag. is a GREAT cartridge.

Don't reload it. Just buy new ammo! It isn't THAT expensive.
It feels good to shoot it. Try it, you'll like it!
It works on most anything you shoot it at.
It's the world's most popular belted magnum cartridge.

It's a great 'in-between' caliber.
.223 to 7mm to .45-70 would get you a LOT of different game.

Did I mention it has one of the best feeling recoil impulses of any rifle cartridge ever made? :D ( I have TWO! )

It's sexy, baby!

Picher
July 20, 2007, 10:06 AM
One key to longer brass life is to adjust the sizing die to neck size for the first loading or two, then when cases won't rechamber easily after neck sizing them, screw in the sizing die until they fit perfectly. If after several loadings of all your brass and it gets harder (keep track of the # of loadings with each batch), screw the sizing die in to maintain good feeding.

That way the belt is not used for headspace, just a bit of extra strength (which may not be necessary, but it's there anyway).

I've never had to screw in my dies on other calibers, once setting is changed after two or three loadings, but I don't load much for the 7mm Mag.

Picher

Mike Irwin
July 20, 2007, 12:03 PM
"Hey Mike, after how many reloads (full length resizings) of a belted case could the dreaded bulge develop and be a problem (in as little as....) - 1, 2, 3, 4 reloads, what?"

It can happen in as little as one or two, depending on the power of the rounds being fired and the die adjustments as Picher notes.

ojibweindian
July 20, 2007, 01:13 PM
I reload my 7mag to hot 280 levels. Am I optimizing the cartridges capabilities? Nope. But, I'm not getting case bulges, bruised shoulders, and the like.

And, I get small groups, and it kills deer.

Personally it's fine with me, but no better than anything else. I just think it's cool to own one :D