PDA

View Full Version : Varmint Scope for a 204

PainterJohn
July 17, 2007, 01:35 PM
I purchased a Browning A bolt in .204 w/a medium heavy varmint barrel and would like opinions on optics. I think my max distance would be under 500 yards. What is the best value out there? I am open to all suggestions and would prefer to stay under $550, max magnification 18x. Anyone with experience with Meopta?

arkie2
July 17, 2007, 02:33 PM
No recommendations on a scope (you'll get plenty of those) but when you finally decide look at the optic zone. Their prices are very good.

http://theopticzone.com/

Scorch
July 17, 2007, 02:37 PM
For a varminting rifle, you will want a scope with plenty of magnification and good clarity. I recommend looking at the Bushnell Elite series, as well as Leupold VX-1 and VX-2, and Burris scopes. I have never handled or looked through a Meopta scope.

Yithian
July 18, 2007, 12:20 AM
Meopta's are mostly out of your price range buy a few hundred.

Sight-for-the-buck?
I went the route of Bushnell Elite.
I found thru experience that it isn't the best out there, but I can still use it in very low light situations.
Cost me $330 at Wally World, site-to-store.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4790985

Here is more in your range of X18...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5871155

Fun part is watching your own pulse in the scope and trying to time the shot into the pulses.

laxpatrick
July 18, 2007, 06:32 AM
I recently picked up a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20 from SWFA.com for a screamer of a price. Even at full price it may be within your budget. I know it's 20 and you wanted max at 18, but I have to say that from firsthand experience, I was very, very pleased with the scope.

Outstanding clarity and brightness. I'd planned on putting it on my Rem 700 VSSF .223, but put it on my Bushmaster Varmint Special. Side by side compared to my buddy's Burris, it was night and day - literally.

LAXPatrick

PainterJohn
July 19, 2007, 03:06 PM
I think that "bang for the buck" I have it narrowed down to these:

1. Bushnell Elite 4200 in either 4-16 or 6-24x40 .........

-OR-

2. Weaver Grand Slam in either 4.5-14 or 6-20x4 .....

I will use this gun mostly for groundhogs and also coyote to a lesser extent so;
Any of these should come in under $380 shipped and possibly lower.

Any opinions on the RECTICLES for these??

I was pleased to see the value here for the $$$.

I thought of a more expensive scope(Meopta, love them) but either of the two above should cover the task well and leave some $$ left for new camo for this falll.

Martyn4802
July 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
1. Bushnell Elite 4200 in either 4-16 or 6-24x40 .........

Ditto

PainterJohn
July 19, 2007, 06:18 PM
It is starting to tilt toward the Bushnell!

dmazur
July 20, 2007, 12:35 AM
I've got a Leupold VX-II 6-18X on a .243 that I like. It has the LRDV (long range duplex, varmint) reticle, which has a couple of additional marks for preset holdovers below the normal center reticle mark. Leupold provides data for these marks for typical varmint cartridges.

It's not as fast as some tactical scopes, as the adjustable objective is a front ring instead of a side focus. Excellent optics.