PDA

View Full Version : Moving a scope from one rifle to another?

Billmanweh
July 16, 2007, 11:11 PM
I am thinking about picking up a Nightforce 3.5-15X50 to put on a precision AR upper. Basically just to see if I can learn to shoot at longer distances.

What I'm wondering is if it would be feasible to move that scope from the AR upper to a .308 bolt action and back? Basically share the scope between two rifles?

Ruger4570
July 16, 2007, 11:24 PM
You certainly CAN do it, but the trajectories are not the same therefore, you will always have to resight it in.

DGindlesperger
July 16, 2007, 11:32 PM
Again you can, if you want to sight it in every time you switch. Even doing someting as simple as moving a scope back a 1/4" on the same rifle can make a difference when your starting at 100 yards for going out. I have my scopes screwed on tight and still check the sight before I do any serious shooting. (serious meaning I want to hit the target, still always having fun)

Billmanweh
July 16, 2007, 11:40 PM
so it could be done, but wouldn't make a lot of sense

DGindlesperger
July 16, 2007, 11:51 PM
yep that's the ticket

Scorch
July 17, 2007, 12:02 AM
Depending on what scope rings and bases you get, it might be more than just difficult. Scope rings for ARs are very high, way too high for a bolt action rifle. You would have to put a base with a Picatinny rail on the AR and have a rail on the bolt rifle. Not impossible, but challenging.

joshua
July 17, 2007, 07:00 AM
If you can find the right picatinny one piece rail mount for both rifles then it shouldn't be a problem.

fisherman66
July 17, 2007, 08:04 AM
A couple good sets of detachable rings and a scope that tracks well should work. Once you work out the click adjustments you should be able to find zero quickly for either one.

piercfh
July 17, 2007, 08:34 AM
I sort of got the rifle bug recently and bought two new rifles to hunt with this fall. I took the scope off of my .308 savage heavy barrel and put it on what we will call rifle #1. I went to the range to see how this rifle would perform. I bore sighted the rifle on the bench looking at a piece of printer paper at 50 yards. Within 3 shots I was dead on at 50 and ready for groups at 100. Rifle #1 put 5 shots sub moa at 100. Next I swapped the scope back onto the savage and took it to the range to try a new stock .5 moa after the 50 yard sight in. About a week later I bought rifle #2 and swapped the scope over on to it. After two shots I was zeroed at 50 yards and went on to shoot groups at 100.

The scope is a mueller tac 2 and has what they call hunting turrets. If I remimbered what my numbers were on the scope after each sight in I could probably eliminate the effort of bore sighting at 50 yards. Other than having an easy to adjust scope I just put the rifle on a stand and level it with a bublle level then put the scope in and level it using the top of the elevation turret.

If you used the same style rings so you wouldnt have to change tools, and could possibly buy a quality torque wrench type tool this would make things much easier.

Im not scared to swap scopes.

Mach II Sailor
July 17, 2007, 08:46 AM
no problem !!

http://www.gggaz.com/

go here and peruse the accessories the "Accucam" system is the best, buy a rail for the bolt action and an Accucam for the scope and changing from one to another is a breeze, but you will have some minor resighting adjustments, just mark the settings from one rifle to another and you should be good to go.., personally i do not own any bolt guns, they are all semi-auto or single shot and i regularly change scopes from one to another, even tho i have a scope for every rifle i constantly change them around for the perfect match.

Zombie Steve
July 17, 2007, 01:21 PM
I just pulled my scope off my rem 700 and mounted it on my AR to do a little prairie dog shooting - no problems, but it is some work. Yes, you need to re-zero - a bore sighter will help you get on paper quickly.

44 AMP
July 17, 2007, 10:18 PM
At all, once you sight in for the new rifle (and write down the difference in ckicks-so you can remember them) from the old rifle sight setting, you should be able to put the scope back on rifle #1, adjust back to original setting, and be good to go.

If you loosen the scope in the rings when changing rifles, this won't work as well, if at all. And small variations can add up to keep you from getting a "perfect" return to zero when you switch between rifles, but it should be close enough to make a fine (re)zero simple with a couple of shots.