PDA

View Full Version : I like the "A1" AR15 Configuration.

FS2K
July 16, 2007, 12:51 AM
It has a clean look, with no-nonsense no-hassle rear sights on it. There are so many A3 flat-tops around these days with flip-up BUIS an A1 tends to catch my eye.

What type of AR15 receiver configuration do you like?

USMCG_HMX1
July 16, 2007, 01:42 AM
I've got an A2, but I really want an A3. I want to have the ability to transition between optics like the EO Tech 512 and BUIS.

Kris

FS2K
July 16, 2007, 04:00 AM
I saw an Eotech mounted ON a carry handle once and it did not look very functional. I totally understand why you want an A3. I only have one A2 AR, the rest are A3's, but I do have some with their removable carry handles in place.

I don't have an A1 yet. I think they look classy, they certainly have that traditional "M16" look.

Good luck with getting your A3 Kris!

timothy75
July 16, 2007, 06:05 AM
I like A1 sights myself which I believe have a smaller peep than A2's. For shooting out to 15 yards I just look over the peep and shoot front sight only and it works fine.

boltgun71
July 16, 2007, 06:29 AM
I prefer the A2 style receiver and sights to the A1's. I like the looks and lines of the A2 series and the improvements they provide over the A1 such as the heavier barrel, more adjustable(and easier to use) sights, and the improved round handguard and grip. For anything with a optic I would choose nothing but the A3/A4 style receiver.

RocketFoot
July 16, 2007, 06:30 AM
I choose A1 config for my Bushmaster. I like the classic carryhandle look and the set & forget peep sights. I can still add a red dot if I like! The flat tops are nice too, but the looks just don't do it for me.

Mach II Sailor
July 16, 2007, 09:12 AM
What type of AR15 receiver configuration do you like?

i like'm all !! my recomedation is buy several ARs and configure them all differently, i have 7 ARs that i shoot regularly and they are all different in some way or another, twist, sights, optics, sliding and fixed stocks.

never limit yourself to just one rifle, in one config., when you really get bitten hard by the "AR Bug" you will most likely have several :D

BUSTER51
July 16, 2007, 10:07 AM
There is no known cure for Black Rifle Desise. everyone should have at least 1 old school A1 AR. next you may want a 1965/1969 vintage with triangle handguards and a 3 prong flas hider . BRD has spread like wild fire under the Republicans,but may come to an untimely end if Hillery get's elected .:eek:

RocketFoot
July 16, 2007, 10:32 AM
I've found a treatment for BRD...it's called havnofundsatol! I love my Bushmaster and I want a few friends to keep it company...but I still have to provide for the family before I can buy more rifles!

tINY
July 16, 2007, 11:29 AM
I like the LMT set-up with the integrated handgard. I just wish they had a clean version of the MRP without all the bling bling rails.

-tINY

USMCG_HMX1
July 16, 2007, 11:39 AM
Since you really want an A1, try looking at Cheaper Than Dirt's catalog. I've seen them advertize some A1 stocks from the 70's (mil-surp pulls) that weren't very expensive.

Good luck on the A1.

Kris

RockyMtnTactical
July 16, 2007, 12:23 PM
I like modern... I prefer the M4 flat tops. I don't think they are any more "complicated". They just give you more options.

dustinlowery
July 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
i like them but prefer the A3 for modular but my next build is an A1 colt upper on stag lower

BoDean
July 16, 2007, 03:36 PM
I too like the A1. Here is my Colt A1... SP1 (sporter) 1967 4-digit ser. # with original Colt marked accessories: scope, bayonet, bipod and 6 Colt pony mags marked .223. UNFIRED as new. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/CZRider/AR15-3b.jpg

I don't plan on firing it anytime soon. I know, I know...what good is it!

But, it makes me smile.

BoDean
outta Austin

FS2K
July 16, 2007, 03:55 PM
i like'm all !! my recomedation is buy several ARs and configure them all differently, i have 7 ARs that i shoot regularly and they are all different in some way or another, twist, sights, optics, sliding and fixed stocks.

never limit yourself to just one rifle, in one config., when you really get bitten hard by the "AR Bug" you will most likely have several

These things are like potato chips...Heeheeheehee.:o

Nice gun BoDean! I like carbines and wouldn't mind any one of these puppies, especially the one on the bottom...SWEET!

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as50-e.htm

Then there's that 1st CAR15, that's just cool. Awesome look.

Ocraknife
July 16, 2007, 05:39 PM
I like the A1 too, I kept mine clean, I wanted it to look like the M16. I only have access to a 100 yard range so I didn't bother with optics iron sites were good enough for me.

AK103K
July 16, 2007, 06:34 PM
I like some aspects of both the A1's, (shorter stock and triangular handguards) and some of the later guns(flat tops).

I still have the first AR I bought back in 1974 for $225, a Colt SP1. Even with who knows how many thousands of rounds through it, its still a great rifle.

These days I prefer a good, low mounted and cowitnessed red dot, on just about anything I shoot. Its really the only way to go. I still put the A1 stocks on all my AR's though. I hate the A2 stocks and REALLY hate the crappy sliders. I'm really not all that wild about the better ones either.