PDA

View Full Version : .257 Roberts or .243

svenrh
July 15, 2007, 10:13 PM
I may be faced with the choice of parting with my .257 Roberts or .243. Hopefully not both, but probably one of the two. The .243 is a Winchester Featherweight and the .257 is a Remington 722. They both shoot equally nice.
What do you guys feel is the better choice for the trio of whitetail/antelope and the occasional coyote? If you could only have one or the other caliber....

Chris Phelps
July 15, 2007, 10:18 PM
keep the quarter bob. 243 is a common chamber, and can be easily replaced at a later date. the 257 is not. I also have a soft spot in my heart for the quarter bob...

On second thought... how much do you want for the 722? :D

fisherman66
July 15, 2007, 10:23 PM
.257 Roberts...if only for nostalgic reasons.

crowbeaner
July 15, 2007, 10:33 PM
By all means keep BOB. I tried to talk a good friend into selling me his 722 in .257 20 years ago and no dice. I still want another as the last M70 Featherweight in .257 I bought would not group under 3 inches with anything at 100 yds. I sold it for what I had in it, and am still looking for another. My brother has a Ruger M77 in BOB and he almost cries when I lay some reloads on him. 100 gr. Nosler Partition, 44.0 of H380, RP brass, and CCI 200 primer. I substitute the Hornady 100 gr. Interlock as needed to keep the Partitions handy. A .243 is a dandy rifle, but BOB is hard to find these days. Maybe he's out hunting, ya think?

svenrh
July 15, 2007, 10:49 PM
I hesitated in mentioning that the .243 Model 70 was made in 1957 and is in 95-97% original condition with a stock that more than one high roller has tried to buy or trade me out of.
Yes, I know that the Winchester is worth quite a bit more than the Remington, and that is part of the issue of which gun to turn loose of!

fisherman66
July 15, 2007, 10:52 PM
'Tis a tough choice indeed. Have you considered selling plasma instead?

Chris Phelps
July 15, 2007, 11:15 PM
LOL I'm with the fishman on this one. I'd ebay off pretty much everything I owned to save my guns and my car. If it ever came down to the guns OR the car... I would have to seriously evaluate my life decisions, since my entire life has been spent avoiding a situation in which I would have to choose.

svenrh
July 16, 2007, 08:41 AM
I totally agree with you guys. Great advice and opinions.
Too bad my old Model 70 is not a .257!, then it would not be an issue.
I am probably going to let go of the BOB, if I have to though. One of the guns I always wanted in life for some reason was an old Win. 70 .243 featherweight, and I have not seen an equal to the one I ended up with.
The .257 kinda showed up on the doorstep, and even though it's quite cool, it really wasn't on the "list".
I will let you guys know if and when the time comes to let her go.

Magnum Wheel Man
July 16, 2007, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't want to get rid of either, but with handload or factory loadings, the 243 is probably just a bit more versitile... but if I had a 257... I sure wouldn't want to sell it... in fact, with inheriting the father in laws collection, ( many years ago ) there are very few "good" calibers I don't own, but the 257 is one, & my buddy's regularly out shoots my 243... wish I had one to play with...

essexcounty
July 16, 2007, 03:22 PM
I've owned a small number of .257's over the years and I feel it's more useful than the .243. My current .257 is the Ackley version that is just a little more of a good thing.........Essex

dgludwig
July 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
If varmints aren't on your list of things to do, I'd keep the .257- which I think (at least theoretically) is a slightly more suitable bigger game cartridge. A tough choice, really. Because the cartridges are so ballistically similar I might want to base my choice more on which rifle is more accurate and/or which one I like best for any reason.

davlandrum
July 16, 2007, 04:11 PM
Keep both, easiest solution :p

If not realistic, .257 would be my choice, but then I have a burning desire for one myself, so that clouds my judgement....

Yellowfin
July 17, 2007, 03:11 PM
Glad to see you kept the .243. Those pre-64's keep getting better and better every day both in rarity and the simple joy of shooting the best rifle ever made. Your kids will thank you one day. My dad impressed upon me the value of having an easy to find caliber: if you're away from home nothing ruins a trip worse than having no ammo and not being able to track down what you need at the local Walmart after dark on your few weekends off and/or having dropped money on an out of state hunt. If it all does the same thing- and don't let the know-it-all twerps with ___ miracle hot rod newfangled cartridge say otherwise- make it easy on yourself.

fisherman66
July 17, 2007, 03:18 PM
FYI the 257 Roberts is not a "miracle hot rod newfangled cartridge."

Yellowfin
July 17, 2007, 03:36 PM
Ah, indeed it isn't. Still, for the purpose of the immediate case it is the far less common of the two, so I was simply making the case in the same manner as addressing wildcats and super new stuff. Not at all as extreme a case, I agree, but the same principle applies though perhaps to a lesser extent.

dgludwig
July 17, 2007, 03:36 PM
Well said, fisherman66 !

Magnum Wheel Man
July 17, 2007, 03:44 PM
My dad impressed upon me the value of having an easy to find caliber: if you're away from home nothing ruins a trip worse than having no ammo and not being able to track down what you need at the local Walmart

... so I knew a guy that had a local buffalo farm, & they were selling them for meat... they allowed the buyers to shoot the Buff, then they had a guy that with the aid of a loader on the front of a JD tractor, would gut & skin the animal for ya ( for a price ... which was way too cheap for a job that tough )... the local locker plant would not take the buffalos live...

... we had bought 2 of them before, & this was my wifes 2nd cousins turn to shoot the buff, but at the last minute, he had to cancel on the shoot, so I grabbed my Browning Stainless Stalker, in 375 H&H & 3 cartridges, & headed out to the Buff farm...

1/2 hour later, & my wife was getting a phone call from her very frustrated husband... "find me some more cartridges" was my plea ... I was out of them at the house, turns out the local gun shop was closed ( Saturday, & they were at a gun show ), & the local walmart didn't stock 375 H&H... well she was able to borrow a few from my local gun building buddy ( the only place I could think of where there might be a few cartridges in that caliber in town )...

... turns out ( which I knew, but had neglected to take into account ) that my rifle was sighted in at 300 yards, & in trying to head shoot ( in thier tiny pea brains ), so as not to wreck any meat... I inadvertently shot over the top, with all 3 cartridges ( my longest shot was only 75 yards :o )

so I got a few of my buddys handloads & opted for the engine room shot, & dropped it pretty quickly after realizing ( in the 1/2 hour I waited for the MRS to fin d a few more cartridges ), that I had been shooting high, because of the way shorter distance...

... well OK, theres my story on using common cartridges...;) BTW... It availability of cartridges obviously doesn't stop me from wishing I had a 257 Roberts

Happy ending though...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20022&d=1156853901

fisherman66
July 17, 2007, 03:48 PM
Anybody who can't stockpile a hundred rounds or so of the Bob doesn't deserve one (or any other grand lady of cartridges). When I make my pack list I have ammo listed #2 (right under the 275 Rigby). I'm teasin', I don't call 'er a Rigby. I've never had to stop at Walmart for ammo during a hunt. That would be a fairly long drive I imagine. That said the M70 is a special rifle. I don't blame the OP if he indeed chooses to keep the .243.

Bob ain't a wildcat either. (official birthday 1934)

2rugers
July 17, 2007, 04:19 PM
I would say .243.
Bullet choice is huge.