PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka Actions

101guns
July 15, 2007, 01:07 PM
I can pick up a fully sporterized 6.5x55 with new barrel at a good price. The unknown to me is the action. Seller says it is strong. A Model 38, Arisaka with mum. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike Irwin
July 15, 2007, 01:32 PM
So it's been sporterized from the 6.5x50 Arisaka cartridge to the 6.5x55 cartridge?

Interesting conversion.

I'd think that it might have problems feeing cartridges with heavy bullets given the length of the Arisaka's magazine vs. the length of the Swede cartridgde, but maybe not.

In any event, the Arisaka action is generally extremely strong. Late war models suffered, but they are usually pretty easy to identify, very crude tool marks abound.

I have an Arisaka that was made in probably the 1920s and the machining is absolutely gorgeous.

Manedwolf
July 15, 2007, 01:41 PM
In any event, the Arisaka action is generally extremely strong. Late war models suffered, but they are usually pretty easy to identify, very crude tool marks abound.

Those would be Type 99's.

FirstFreedom
July 15, 2007, 01:46 PM
So it's been sporterized from the 6.5x50 Arisaka cartridge to the 6.5x55 cartridge?

Interesting conversion.

Yes, but a distinct possibility that the OP is mistaken..... 101guns, are you SURE that's it's not chambered in 6.5mm Jap (aka 6.5x50mm)? Just making sure you don't buy a gun where you are completely mistaken about what you're getting.

101guns
July 15, 2007, 01:48 PM
positive that the conversion is 6.5x55 swede...friend told me AND stamped into the barrel...done business with him before ....the action is smooth...and the mum design looks great

FirstFreedom
July 15, 2007, 01:50 PM
okey dokey, then that should be a good rifle for you, esp. if it's a good price.....about the only question left would be if it's headspaced properly. If you don't have full confidence in the gunsmith who made it, then check headspace with go & no-go guages, or take to a gunsmith you do trust to have it checked. I'd love to have an Arisaka 38 in 6.5x55 swede, if the barrel is of decent+ quality - very cool. :)

101guns
July 15, 2007, 02:30 PM
thanks everyone...any others with opinions please share....i love this caliber. Sons can shoot it too.

srtrax
July 15, 2007, 02:49 PM
Can't remember who, but someone done blow up tests of diffrent rifle actions and the Arisaka came out on top in this test. Good action, and now a 6.5x55 cal., and cheap. Other than a butt ugly safety, what more could you ask for. I'd have it at the range already! :)

Mike Irwin
July 15, 2007, 03:52 PM
"Those would be Type 99's."

Those would also be type 38s.

The Type 38 remained in production through the end of the war because not enough Type 99s could be manufactured.

The Type 99s seem to have suffered a worse fate materials wise, but late war Type 38s are not prize pigs, either.

Manedwolf
July 15, 2007, 03:55 PM
They did? I thought only the type 99's were the infamous last-ditch ones likely to result in a metallurgy failure kaboom if fired.

Huh. I did not know that! I thought the 38's were abandoned in production midway through the war. Cool.

bcrash15
July 15, 2007, 04:42 PM
Seems like that would be a nice rifle indeed.
I've looked into Arisakas before, but always been deterred by ammo cost. the swede is not a wal-mart round, but it's a lot more common then 6.5x50.

101guns
July 15, 2007, 04:59 PM
Remington is still loading it in 140 grains, but I am looking for something lighter. I am not a reloader yet, but a friend has recommended starsandstripes-----a company that will reload safely to your needs. He says Chuck Hawks recommends them.

P.S. I can get the Remingtons in all the local guns shops here in N.E. Louisiana....if I can find them here anyone can anywhere else.