PDA

View Full Version : Starter Rifle, 10/22 or stronger?

adrew1452
July 14, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hey, i posted a thread a few weeks back about my thoughts on buying a 10/22 ruger as a starter rifle, mostly for target shooting and messing around with. I have $500 to spend towards a rifle and a few extras (scope maybe). I have a good background in shotguns and handgun use, but not much in rifles. I was wondering if the 10/22 ruger would be a good gun to learn on or if i should maybe get something with a little more kick.

Any help would be great, thanks

chris in va
July 15, 2007, 12:27 AM
For 500 you could get a CZ in 223 or 7.62x39. Both calibers are 'plinkable' or you can load up with quality stuff for more serious use.

The 10/22 is nice, but 22 gets old after a while.

FS2K
July 15, 2007, 01:17 AM
I think the 10/22 would be a great starter rifle, and it will be a gun you will go back to again and again even after you've built yourself a nice collection of long guns.

There are a ton of accessories out there for the 10/22, and you can set your little Ruger up as a mini-sniper or tactical plinker and everything in-between including leaving it bone stock and just enjoying it for what it is.

Another excellent reason for the 10/22 is the abundance of ammunition available and the very low price of that ammo. You could literally shoot all day long for a couple of bucks. High capacity magazines make the 10/22 platform even more fun for plinking, and the more enjoyable a gun is to shoot the more you will shoot it and trigger time is what make poor shooter good and good shooter great!

Non existant recoil and relatively mild report only adds to the enjoyment of shooting that gun.

I still bust out my 10/22's out and I enjoy myself allot everytime I do.

If you feel you need something with more punch, I recommend you look into a 9mm carbine. Ammunition availability and low cost comes into consideration again. Perhaps you won't be shooting ALL day long for a couple of bucks with a 9, but it is one of the least expensive calibers available today. Hope this helped.

adrew1452
July 15, 2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the help guys

FS2K
July 15, 2007, 01:40 AM
If you plan on getting a 10/22 and 'hot rodding' it, may I suggest get getting a receiver instead of a complete gun? Most people end up swapping barrels and stocks anyway, leaving the stock barrel and stock to eat dust in the closet never to be put on again. The last 10/22 receiver I bought was $75.00.
All you'd need is the receiver, trigger assy, bolt & charging handle/spring. Here, I found this site a while back:

http://www.heddonpal.com/search.asp?c=10%2F22

adrew1452
July 15, 2007, 01:48 AM
hmm, thanks for the link. A buddy of mine had actually given me that idea and it is something that i might consider.

USMCG_HMX1
July 15, 2007, 02:03 AM
Since this is a 10/22 thread, I'll post my info.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q160/USMCG_MarineOne/GunPr0nz004.jpg

My wife got this for me for my b-day around Memorial Day. It's a 10/22 Target model from Wal-Mart, so it has a longer barrel and no barrel band. I picked up the BSA 4-32 scope and a set of steel rings on a second trip to Wal-Mart, and then 2 of the Butler Creek 25 round Steel Lips mags and a Butler Creek speed loader.

$229 ($243 after taxes, etc.) for the Ruger 10/22
$25 (approx.) for the BSA 4-32 Scope
$7.97 for the Leupold steel rings
$60 for the Butler Creek mags and speed loader
$10 for a brick of 550 rounds .22LR ammo

So for about 350 bucks you can have a similar setup and you've got 150 bucks left over.

Kris

adrew1452
July 15, 2007, 02:11 AM
nice set up. I also have no taxes here in Oregon, so i would most likely have even a little bit more left over.

RedneckFur
July 15, 2007, 02:21 AM
+1 on the 10/22. I've got several larger, more powerful, and more accurate rifles, but i keep coming back to the .22 rimfire. Its cheap to shoot (a 550 round bulk box of ammo will run ya about $11 ) and its just all around fun.

You can shoot for accuracy with match grade ammo if you like. My factory stock 10/22 will do 1 inch groups with match grade wolf, and 1.5-2 inch groups with bulk remington or federal ammo. And you can rapid fire all 10 rounds as fast as you pull the trigger without worring about how much ammo and money you've wasted.

A .22 doesnt kick either.. which i think is important for learning to shoot. A beginning shooter needs to concentrate on their form, sights, and learning how to handle a gun. Getting punched every time you pull the trigger isnt going to help that process.

Sure, .223 or 7.62x39 doesnt kick much, and the ammo is fairly cheap, but you cant even buy milsurp or reload for them for the price of .22

USMCG_HMX1
July 15, 2007, 02:25 AM
I had an old Uncle Mike's web sling sitting in my closet for at least 10 years and never had a chance to use it. Since I didn't want to unscrew and re-screw in sling swivels, I simply used my Dremel and drilled out the little bit left in the slings studs and fitted the sling.

Took me all of 2 minutes and it works great.

Kris

ShootemDown
July 15, 2007, 04:19 AM
Most people in the world are poor, so I will say this:

I prefer the .22 10/22 due to the low cost factor for shooting.

It seems that the price of ammo is so high that I cant really feel no guilty when going shooting.

with a 22, that is over. It is so cheap to have fun.

but if you are a millionare, then you can buy whatver you want.

mgh
July 15, 2007, 04:36 AM
One more vote for the 10/22. As a starter rifle it can't be beat.

The only alternative that comes to mind is the inexpensive Henry .22 lever action. That's a ton of fun to shoot.

blume357
July 15, 2007, 07:28 AM
doesn't hurt my wallet at all. Real draw back is it's not a 'real' rifle... after a hundred rounds you don't feel like you've been beat with a baseball bat... and you have to keep it within a 100 yards... 50-75 is more reasonable.

Rmstn1580
July 15, 2007, 04:43 PM
The 10/22 is nice, but 22 gets old after a while.

I love my Ruger, but I had to step up to 7.62x54 :)

P.S., how do you install a scope on a Ruger? I've got a scope and I've got a Ruger, but I don't know how to put them together :(

FS2K
July 15, 2007, 08:53 PM
There are 4 small screws on the top of your 10/22's receiver. All you need to do is purchase a mount like these:

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]&ct=65377

They use the 4 screw holes to mount these rails on. I also like to use 3M double sided autmotive molding tape along with the screws supplied with the mount to secure the rails tight. Hope this helped.