PDA

View Full Version : Need a cheap "eat anything" 22lr...

Chris Phelps
July 14, 2007, 02:28 PM
With the $45 per magazine for my Remington Viper, and my overabundance of reluctance to purchase one at such a high cost, I am looking for a replacement.

It has to be a semi. I'm not interested in heavy barrels for this particular purchase... the firearm has to be as light as possible. It has to be able to accept scope rings. It has to be something I can buy magazines for without spending an arm and a leg. It has to eat any sort of 22LR ammo I would be purchasing. This is purely a plinker, so there is no real weight on hunting rounds or anything like that. Just something that will shoot anything. Hopefully with a bit of accuracy.

I have already answered the question the way many of you would... 10/22. Before I go out and drop $200 on one, I wanted to see if there were any other options.

PTR 91
July 14, 2007, 02:35 PM
Marlin tube fed 22. Holds 18 in the tube, I know you said must accept mags but I thought I would throw it out there. Mossberg plinkster I hear good and bad.

Bigfatts
July 14, 2007, 02:36 PM
Any other option is a good one :D. Check out the Savage 64. It will outshoot just about any factory 10/22 and you can buy mags at Wally World. Not to mention it's half the price of the 10/22.

Chris Phelps
July 14, 2007, 03:23 PM
Big... you have my attention. Are the iron sights removable? Will it accept a scope rail?

tomh1426
July 14, 2007, 03:28 PM
I love my Marlin 60 , I got a speed loader that makes the tube feed faster.
Very accurate but crappy trigger

Rimrod
July 14, 2007, 03:39 PM
Marlin makes a variety of .22s and should have several models of semi-autos with removeable box magazines. I would take one of those over any 10/22 or Savage.

boltgun71
July 14, 2007, 04:12 PM
Remington 597- Meets all of your requirements, eats anything, cheap, semi-auto, takes magazines, magazines are easy to get(Walmart and most sporting goods stores carry them), and they are upgradeable if you wanted to eventually go that route. My local Dicks Sporting goods recently had a sale on limited run 597's with OD green stocks and scope and rings for $160.

Here's a link to the standard model
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_597/model_597_specs.asp

Bigfatts
July 14, 2007, 04:41 PM
Are the iron sights removable? Will it accept a scope rail?

Yes, the sights are removable. I believe the receiver is dovetailed for scope mounting. My brother picked one up at Wally World for like $99. It shoots right with my Marlins 49 and 60. He just put one of those cheapie Tasco rimfire scopes on it and man will it shoot. The Remington 597 is also a great choice now that they got the mag problems worked out. And it comes in a heavy barrel version.

Ham
July 14, 2007, 07:14 PM
I have both a clip fed and a tube fed Marlin and I love both of them. They are accurate with realy cheap 8$ scopes. When people first shoot them they want to use the clip fed Marlin as it is easier to load and looks better. After their thumb starts to get soar after loading 3 or 4 clips they all want the tube fed Marlin. If I bring one Marlin it is the tube fed and when I bring both I only shoot 3 or 4 clips myself. Then I shoot a whole bunch with the tube fed Marlin 60.

Chris Phelps
July 14, 2007, 11:21 PM
The Remington 597 appeals to me quite a bit, as well. I also checked out the Mossberg Plinkster... it doesn't seem bad, but it is 3rd down on my list.

I checked gun broker and buds gun shop for prices on the Rem, but the price ranges from $134 to $400. What kind of a price could I expect to pick one up at Walmart for?

Average Joe
July 15, 2007, 05:52 PM
Ruger 10/22

FirstFreedom
July 15, 2007, 06:03 PM
Marlin 60 or Marlin 70 PSS / 7000 / 795. Light, reliable, accurate, cheap. It's got it all. :) Savage Mark II close 2nd. Remington 597 close third (some reliability issues). Don't get the Plinkster - I've heard a lot of bad. As always, Ruger blows. :)

Chris Phelps
July 15, 2007, 08:13 PM
Freedom, the Savage Mark II is a Bolt action rifle with the Accu-trigger. ;)

Ruger.. hmmmm I own an M77 in 257 Roberts (aka 'Quarter Bob'), and I am absolutely in love with it. Of all of the bolt actions I own, none has a smoother action. I also own a Mark I 22LR Pistol, and have yet to see any other factory pistols touch it out of the box. To the point where I can still hit 20 oz soda bottles at 100 yards.

I called wally world today, and they want $168 for the Remington. That seems a bit on the steep side for what I want it for.

The Mossberg... Man, I haven't read one thread of praise in all of my searching on rimfire central. They make that rifle sound like a complete piece of crap. Again, if this is the case... it will not suit my purpose.

I am not opposed to the tube fed idea. While it is not my first choice, it would prevent future issues with finding magazines, that is for sure! My issues with finding mags for my Viper are also helping to steer me away from buying another Remington.

Buds gun shop has the marlin 60 for $124. Id rather find one locally, since getting it shipped to an ffl would actually cost an additional $45 on top of the price. ($25 to ship, $20 for FFL). Not really sure where to check though.

Edit: Currently looking up rifle parts for the Marlin 795... does anyone know of any place that sells high capacity mags for these?

ZeSpectre
July 15, 2007, 08:17 PM
Second on the Savage 64

If you are looking for a pistol I don't know how to help.

tomh1426
July 15, 2007, 08:52 PM
I knew if I got a 10/22 I would end up dumping a bunch of money into it.
That and the fact that I owned 4 of them over the years was the reason I got a Marlin insted.
I just wanted a fun accurate .22 not a $ pit

Chris Phelps
July 15, 2007, 08:57 PM
Tom, that is exactly why I am exploring my options. This is a rifle to take place of my Remington Viper 522 as a "daily abuse" rifle. I cannot even begin to describe the things the viper has been through in the past, out of pure shame. I don't know how it even functions anymore, let alone holds tight groups. What I want is another rifle that will do the same, and be on the cheap end of the purchasing spectrum.

chris in va
July 15, 2007, 09:35 PM
I just don't know how everyone can say the Marlin 60 is reliable. The one I had jammed on everything. The tube feed is pretty slick, I'll give it that.

I guess the CZ line is out...

45Marlin carbine
July 15, 2007, 11:43 PM
I got a Marlin M-60 some years back in a trade and sold it to my nephew. It was little shot but never cleaned and he took it down for a thorough clean and tightening, put a 4X scope on and shoots Super-X on walnuts at 50 yards offhand, never misses. don't want him sighting me in at 100 yds. he has a tube loader for it and says it is his SHTF gun (he ain't got many more). I shot it off a rest awhile back and it was 1" at 50 yards.

Ifishsum
July 16, 2007, 12:29 AM
I'm a big fan of the Remington 597s but neither of mine are fond of cheap ammo. I gave several boxes of different .22 ammo that I had trouble with to my buddy who had a Marlin and it would usually eat them up just fine.

Death from Afar
July 16, 2007, 12:58 AM
Other options than Ruger for semi auto .22's? surely you jest!

buckster
July 16, 2007, 01:04 AM
Check out the CZ 452 Trainer. Tack Driver. Eats Federal Champs. About 240.00

FirstFreedom
July 16, 2007, 01:06 AM
oops, meant the other Savage - the semi-auto one (64). :)

Chris Phelps
July 16, 2007, 01:18 AM
lol first, I figured you did. ;) "Mark II" Just seems to come out so much faster when discussing 22LRs, doesn't it? My future holds one in Heavy Bbl... threaded for a suppressor.

Buckster... I was trying to find alternatives to the 10/22 which carries a $200 price tag. Since the 10/22 is out of my price range for the particular use I have in mind... The CZ will be out as well.

Death... lol. I know man... I know. If you knew the life my viper has lead, you would threaten me with bottley harm for even eyeballing a 10/22.

This rifle would see about 1,000 rounds a day... hardly ever missing a day of being shot. It hasn't been cleaned for 12 years now. No general upkeep at all, aside from a bit of lube on the action when it gets too slugish. It was accidentally left out in the rain (barrel facing up, leaning against a tree) for two weeks when I was 14, before I figured out who "stole" my rifle. (oops.) I have never once debated the quality of the ammo being purchased for it... merely the price. Any ammo that landed on the ground during a range session was picked up, quickly brushed off, and loaded into the magazine. Ammo that landed in water was brushed off using a shirt, then loaded into the magazine. When I was 12, my most favorite thing to do was shooting frogs that were in the pond. It wasn't long before I discovered that you could silence the noise by dipping the barrel into the water before shooting. The kid who sold it to me for $20 used to walk into his house with it, and toss it into the corner of his room 10 feet away... onto the floor. (No carpeting either.) The list definitely does not end here... it has had a hard life.

While I have outgrown accidentally leaving firearms outside, or shoving the barrels into dirt/water to quiet the noise, or many of the things I had done in the past... there is one lesson I have learned above ALL others... everyone should have at least one rifle that will still hold 1" groups at 100 yards after all that, and preferably one so cheap that when it does finally take a crap, no tears are shed over its trip to the trashcan.

(even though I will NEVER sell my viper, even though I cannot shoot it anymore, and even though it only cost me $20.)

http://www.dv8films.com/tfl/03.jpg

StuntManMike
July 16, 2007, 09:53 AM
My Marlin 60SB has to rank as one of the top two or three guns I have ever purchased. It does not jam at all even when dirty. When I do clean it, it is easy to put the charging handle and recoil spring back in. My 10/22 jammed constantly and was a pain to put back together but then again every semi-auto Ruger has ever made besides the P-series has been a pain to reassemble.

webbee
July 16, 2007, 11:52 AM
Another vote for Marlin's offerings. Very accurate out of the box. I'd get a stainless version. I like the tube feed but there is a magazine version too. The down side is there aren't very many aftermarket parts for them, like the Ruger 10/22. That may be a good thing, as 10/22's get pricey if you really mess with them. Used in blue they go from $50-125 depending on condition and stainless is usually at a premium. Lot's of them out there.

NOok
July 16, 2007, 08:42 PM
If you don't mind old, Mossberg 51M, I have 3. eats anything, long heavy barrel, usually has nifty peep sights, and can be found at most gunshows for under $200.

scotty helms
July 16, 2007, 09:15 PM
Here is an idea for you to cocider: how about a ruger 10-22 semi-auto?
this little rifle has become a famiy favorite in my home. We own 5 of these little gems for small game and plinking. Also my cutom small varmit- silloette shooter.
three of the 5 were bought used and that was 1983 One has been rebarreled.
there is no 22 lr that I know of has more upgrade parts on the market or easier to install those parts in the firearm.
Just my experience, for what it's worth.
happy hunting
Scotty:)

Mike U.
July 17, 2007, 02:29 AM
A Marlin 60 is extremely hard to beat for the price even though it's tube fed. I doubt you will find the level of reliability and OOB accuracy a Marlin 60 delivers for around $138.00(Wal*mart).
I have one that will never be for sale or trade, EVER. It is just that good to me. :)
My youngest brother was so impressed with it's accuracy and reliability he went out and bought one for his around-the-property pest control. He is very happy with it as it accurately delivers cheap bulk ammo to his problem mammals. Skunks mostly, with a healthy population of coons and opossums to boot.

Mine has fed most everything I've fed it and the only feeding probs I've had were not the rifle but problem bullets. Remington Gold Bullets in the bulk pack gave me problems. That's because they had NO consistency from round to round. I'd shoot a string and would get Bang!, pop, Bang!, bang, pfft, pop, Bang!, pfft. :eek::barf:
In Remington's defense, the gang over at www.rimfirecentral.com state the quality control is getting dramatically better on the Golden Bullet bulk packs. I hope so. They'd be a good buy if they tightened up the QC on them.

Anyway, be sure to check out the Marlin 60 before you make a decision.

Ham
July 18, 2007, 07:36 PM
I was at the range yesterday to have a disable Boy Scout to try shooting. He was using my mossberg 320 single shot. While there I watch two Ruger 1022's being shot. One was a stock 1022 that both of my Marlins would out shoot. The other 1022 was set up as a target rifle $$ and at 100 yards was shooting the same size groups that my Marlins will shoot for a whole lot less. The Marlin 60 is the most fun of all my guns to shoot. The Mossberg with peep sites will out shoot my Marlins with scopes. I kept the target with 4 rounds thru one hole:D. That was a very good day.

Bigfatts
July 18, 2007, 09:35 PM
Another vote for Mossbergs! Hey NOok, welcome. If you're not already there, come over to the darkside:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

bullfrog99
July 18, 2007, 10:21 PM
good luck... I've tried the Marlin model 60, Ruger 10/22, Charter Arms AR-7, Ruger MKII pistol, an antique Sears model tubefed and the Savage autoloader... Jams abound with all pretty much reguardless of ammo... :mad:

I bought a bolt action...

Chris Phelps
July 19, 2007, 03:49 AM
lol bull you have just had some bad luck.

Anyway... Here is what I've decided. I finally found a place that sells mags for my Viper for $35 each. I ordered 1 Monday. It won't get me to my goal (Multiple mags), but it will keep my viper from being a useless rifle I cannot shoot, and was the cheapest way out of my current bind.

Next week I will buy a Mossberg Plinkster and a Marlin 60. That gives me a rifle with reasonably cheap mags, and a rifle I won't have to worry about losing the mag on.

The following week, I will pick up a Marlin 795 and a Savage 64.

What can I say.. I am absolutely 100% in love with 22LR firearms. I am in love with every low recoil round, but 22LR is the cheapest to buy LARGE quantities of ammo for. I always have about 5,000 rounds at my house.

I'll keep you guys posted on my findings. Hopefully at least one of them will be equally as good as my Viper.