PDA

View Full Version : Got My Spike's Tactical Upper! Pics!

VUPDblue
July 13, 2007, 07:29 PM
I finally got my .22 upper from Spike's today. It is pretty cool. It uses a modified Cienar bolt and a dedicated .22barrel with no need for a chamber adapter. I ran a few rounds through it just to test it for function and I have had a few feeding issues. At present, I am going to attribute those issues to the mags. I am using Black Dog mags and word on the street is that they need a little tweaking to run 100%. I modded a few Pmag bodies to accept the BDM mags inside and plastic-welded them together to get the look of a full-geometry AR mag. I don't really like the look of those skinny .22mags in an AR, too "butler creek" for my taste. Rumor has it that BDM is working on full-geometry mags now anyway, so I guess I'll have to get a few of those. Anywho, the rest of the setup is a 5" barrel under YHM lightweight carbine handguards. It sports a set of Midwest Industries flip-up irons and a decent Aimpoint clone. The lower is a CMMG lower that I registered as a SBR. That fat thing on the end of the barrel is my Gemtech Outback II.:p I'm going to take it out this weekend and really give it a good workout. I'll post my findings later. Enjoy the pic...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25570&stc=1&d=1184372931

gdvan01
July 13, 2007, 08:13 PM
Looks nice!

Nice car collection as well. I have a scale model of one I spent many years in.

VUPDblue
July 13, 2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks, mine is the one with the patch behind it...

FirstFreedom
July 14, 2007, 01:38 AM
Oh, that is awesome. :) I don't suppose it will shoot Aguila SSS rounds, being a dedicated bbl with (likely) a 1 in 16" twist?

VUPDblue
July 14, 2007, 08:33 PM
Well, I just got back from the range with my new setup. It runs like a top! I have 2 Black Dog Machine mags which are stock and 1 that I modded into a Pmag body. Each ran flawlessly for 500 rounds. Not one FTF or FTE. I took CCI Blazer, Remington Subsonic and Federal Bulk pack. The only issue I had was with the Remingtons. I found 6 cartridges in the box that had mold flashing still on the bullet, the darn things looked like wadcutters:eek:! Also, I had 6 rounds fail to ignite, even after 2 or 3 tries. I will be contacting Remington on this one and including pics. Other than that, I got my Aimpoint sighted-in and my irons too. What a blast! This gun will definitely be an attention hog for a while. +1 to Spikes for a great product

shaggy
July 14, 2007, 09:02 PM
Very nice!

I've got a barrel on order with Rick Kuehl, but I may have to get one of their complete uppers too. Did you have to mod the mags any to get them to run 100%?

VUPDblue
July 14, 2007, 10:11 PM
I didn't have to mod them at all. I actually followed some advice from a fellow shooter and went ahead and did a little filing to widen the channel on the back of the feed lips of one mag. It wasn't necessary at all. My 2 un-modified mags ran flawlessly. I was really impressed that the whole thing was running great without one single hiccup. With all the talk I hear about the BDM mags needing tweaking and the Cienar bolt being un-reliable at best, I was a bit nervous. After today, no worries! Feral cats beware, I am ready to rock...:p