PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 Purchase Question

Vassili81
July 11, 2007, 08:55 PM
As some of you may know I am new to the scene but looking for a good quality starter rifle and have been looking into the rem 700. I found this one but not sure how to go about figuring out what is a good deal. What do you guys think of this one?

http://froogle.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75624407

Trapper L
July 11, 2007, 09:38 PM
FWIW, I bought the same rifle in 223 from Cabelas about 8 months ago for $299.00 on special minus the scope and mounts. The scope might bring $200.00. In my opinion, it's grossly overpriced. I looked at a Remington, used, BDL Varminter which means it was a wood stock and heavy barrel, with scope (I'm not sure but I think it was a 3-9 Leopold) in 22-250. The setup was very clean- clean enough to appear unfired before close inspection. The asking price was $649.00 and knowing the gunshop, there was room for them to deal 50-75.00. I'm usually one that the weapon has to look and function near new or I won't give it a second look. This one almost came home but I need another one like I need the wrong numbers to the lottery. If you have the interest, the gunshop name is Durys in San Antonio. They have a website but they don't list all of their guns as they have several hundred used guns. They also sell guns at online auctions.
http://www.durysguns.com/html/inventory/inventory.html#inventory

Hope this was helpful.

Vassili81
July 11, 2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. Ive been looking to find a 700 SPS .223 and was planning on getting a leupold scope. How much should I expect to find the rifle itself brand new?

laxpatrick
July 11, 2007, 10:29 PM
.223 is going to be much more inexpensive to shoot (for now, lol). What are you going to use it for? I was in a similar spot a while back, wanting to get back into rifles. I found a Rem 700VSSF (Stainless fluted, heavy barrel) that's the cat's meow for varmints and 200+ yard shots. My friends affectionately refer to it as "The Scalpel"...

Keep your eyes open and you'll find one.

LAXPatrick

Vassili81
July 12, 2007, 11:28 AM
Im just using it for paper targets for now. Anyone here know a good place to find a new one? Oh and does anyone know if you need a license to purchase a rifle in CA. I know for handguns you do however I couldn't find anything on rifles. Thanks in advance

boltgun71
July 13, 2007, 10:00 PM
My best friend just recently purchased a Rem 700 SPS Varmint and it cost him $475 including tax. The standard SPS we normally see for $50-75 less than the SPS Varmint. It is a great shooter, you shouldn't be dis-appointed in the Standard SPS in .223 Rem. I own 4 700's myself and all are terriffic shooters.
My friend is also from California and plans on shipping his rifle their when he moves back in September. As far as he or I am aware of you do not need a license to have a Rem 700. Good luck with finding your new rifle.