PDA

View Full Version : K98 Ammo

my1stk98
July 11, 2007, 12:54 AM
Hey, got a few questions. I just recently purchased a K98 rifle and have been using some Mitchell's Mauser ammo to sight it in. Has anyone had any luck with this ammo? I've tried a couple different kinds. I've not had any luck with it. The shots are everywhere. It usually starts off with a 3-4 inch group on the lower left side of a target for the first 3 or 4 shots. Then it starts kind of drifting farther to the left until it just doesn't hit the paper. I am shooting 6 shot groups at 100 yds from a rest. Anyone suggest any certain ammo? I've been reading and hear that either Romanian Surplus or Handloads are the best way to go. I am planning on using this rifle to shoot at the Springfield/ Vintage Military Rifle Match at Camp Perry this August. I would like to give myself the best chance I can. Any comments or questions are welcome.

MacGille
July 11, 2007, 05:03 AM
You have some accuracy issues to solve before you change ammo. Disassemble the rifle and check the barrel to stock fit. On mine, I found the stock was warped to the right. It pressed on the left side of the barrel at the front, and the bayonet lug pushed down on the top. First I free floated the barrel, then I put the stock in the oven at 500 deg for a few minutes and then clamped it down to my workbench with a shim under the end. That straightened it out and also took the excess oil out of it. Then I used my die grinder on the bayonet lug to relieve the pressure. I then glass bedded the recoil lug and the trigger housing.

When I started I got 4-5 inch groups at 100. Now I get 2" at 100 and no shot stringing. If anything is pressing on the barrel, it will change POI when the barrel heats. Now you can address the sights. I put a MOJO double peep on mine because of eye damage. I can't see the Mauser sight clearly.

I have used Turkish ammo with good results, and now I am shooting Romanian. It seems to be better than some of the other milsurp stuff. I am going to handload some commercial brass soon and I'm sure i can find a load that will increase accuracy.:)

frankxd
July 11, 2007, 08:06 AM
I like the Romanian, but it is getting hard to find :(.

my1stk98
July 12, 2007, 12:24 AM
Well I took a good look at the rifle and the the stock is warped past the front band. Any ideas on how to fix this? If I can't fix it then I suppose I can buy a stock from Boyd's.

frankxd
July 12, 2007, 08:14 AM
Get a deep socket that is slightly larger than the outside barrel diameter. Wrap sand paper around it and sand the barrel channel. This will "float" the barrel in the stock. Reassemble every once in a while to check fit. Do this by placing a dollar bill between the barrel and stock. You should be able to wiggle it back and forth down the entire barrel channel. If it gets stuck, you need to sand that area more. A little bit of sanding is usually all that is needed. This method has worked wonders with a couple of milsurps of mine that were not shooting consistently.

my1stk98
July 12, 2007, 12:09 PM
Okay, thanks everybody that posted. However, is there any way at all that I can repair this without sanding? I'd really rather not mess with the stock that way if possible. If not then I could give that a try.

frankxd
July 12, 2007, 03:32 PM
I can understand not wanting to sand the stock, but I never really worry about sanding the barrel channel. If you are really against it, you can try to shim between the receiver lugs and stock to lift the barrel out of the channel a little. I've never done this, so I don't know if it would work or not.

my1stk98
July 12, 2007, 07:39 PM
The problem I believe I may run into is the fact that even if I sand the stock. The barrel may still end up resting on the front band. Not sure how to fix that if that's the case.

frankxd
July 13, 2007, 07:58 AM
In that case, shimming might be the best plan. As long as the upper handguard is loose fitting, there should be room for this. I've bought Mosins and Enfields that were shimmed with paperboard from the factory, so I guess that it would work.

MacGille
July 13, 2007, 10:23 AM
First take the stock and put it in the oven and heat it. Then clamp it down with the part that is warped facing down. Put a shim under the end equal to the amount of warp. When the stock cools down, it should be straight. I had to do mine twice. You don't need to heat it too much. Just a little more than boiling water 212 deg. It won't hurt the stock although you will get a lot of oil out of it.

Then check the barrel fit, sand anything that is pressing on the barrel. Don't be afraid to sand the barrel channel, it is out of sight when the stock is installed and won't hurt the rifle. If the front barrel band is pressing on the barrel, use a dremel or a file to relieve the pressure. If you are careful you won't mark up the outside.

Don't try to shim the barrel out of the channel, because that will lift the recoil lug out of position and ruin accuracy.

Do the above work and shoot the rifle, I'm sure you will have a more accurate rifle even though you will have to re adjust the sights to compensate for the new barrel position relative to the stock.:)

my1stk98
July 13, 2007, 11:33 AM
I really appreciate all of the help. However, the stock is too long to fit in the oven. Is there another way to safely heat it up other than in an oven?

my1stk98
July 13, 2007, 12:26 PM
Well I may not get to shoot in the match this august. I attempted to order a new stock from Boyd's and received an email this morning that they will not have them made until February 2008, contrary to what their website indicates. So no my only option is to either repair the stock I have now, without ruining it or to find a stock somewhere else. Any other places that sell K98 stocks that have them in stock? Also like in my last post, I do not have an oven large enough to heat up the stock. Is there another way to heat it up correctly without an oven?

frankxd
July 13, 2007, 01:25 PM
You can try Springfield Sporters or Numrich for a replacement stock. There are also synthetic stocks available for the K98 if you just want to be able to shoot in a match.

Edit to add: Here you go (K98 take-off stocks)- http://www.facsupplystore.com/products.asp?cat=43

my1stk98
July 13, 2007, 02:52 PM
I'm currently contemplating selling the rifle and getting another one. Classic Arms sounds like they have some good ones. I don't know what to do. At this point I seriously doubt I will be able to shoot in the match with that rifle. No one has stocks, I really don't want to ruin the stock I have by soaking it or steaming it, especially if I'm going to try and sell it. The whole sanding idea may help with the barrel touching the wood, but it won't solve the problem of it touching the front band. I'm running out of ideas. Too bad I hadn't looked into this before I purchased the rifle from AIM.

my1stk98
July 13, 2007, 03:12 PM
I was fairly upset while typing my last post. So to restate, I would rather not sell the K98 I have. However, it seems that finding a stock in time for this match will be almost impossible. I am eventually planning on getting another K98. I realize that there are methods of repairing this stock. Sanding will not help me, I do not know what chances I have at achieving success with a soaking/ steaming method, and finally I doubt anyone around here will allow me to use their oven to heat up my stock. Any ideas? Again thanks for everyone's patience with me. Just seems like nothing is going the way I would like it to go. :) If I don't get to shoot in the match, oh well. I'll save up buy another K98 and shoot next year.

MacGille
July 13, 2007, 11:14 PM
you don't have to have the whole stock in the oven. Let the butt stick out and close the door as much as possible. All you need to do is heat the front part of the stock where it is warped. Put the oven at 500 deg. (not broiler) and when the stock is too hot to touch remove it and clamp it down. I urge you to try this, you have nothiong to lose. You won't hurt the stock unless you forget it and burn it up. heating wood to shape it is a technique that is thousands of years old. Wood is remarkably resistant to heat.:D

my1stk98
July 15, 2007, 01:26 PM
Well, thanks for the heat suggestion. I've had to do it about 4 times. On its cooling as I'm typing this. So far its working very well. This last time is to just tweak it so the barrel is no longer laying on the right side of the stock.

my1stk98
July 15, 2007, 02:59 PM
Well, that last one fixed it. I'm goin out to shoot it today. I'll let you know how it does.

my1stk98
July 15, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hey, here are some pictures of my Dad and I's last groups at the range today with the K98. Please pardon the patches on the target.

frankxd
July 16, 2007, 02:17 PM
Good to hear that you got it fixed. I was at an estate sale this weekend where they had some K98 stocks. I was going to pick a couple of them up, but ended up spending all of my money on a 1906 Obendorf Gew 98 and a K98 bayonet. I'm glad that you still don't need a stock, since I ended up not picking one up for you :p.