PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on big bore AR

SD_Chop
July 10, 2007, 07:52 PM
I am thinking about picking up a big bore AR this fall. My question is i dont know anyone that has one, only 223 and 308. I am not a complete noobie to ARs know a bunch of people that have them but i was thinking about getting one. Use would be shooting it for the hell of it of course, to carry hunting, camping, basically a outdoors work hourse. Im not sure when bushmaster is going to release their .450bushmater but thats what im leaning towards but know you can get them in .458socom and .50AE or Beuwolf dont remember. But whats your thought? experience? suggestions?

ws6_keith
July 10, 2007, 11:03 PM
Buddy of mine here in town has a Beowolf .50 upper that he was trying to sell. If you are interested, I'll see about getting him on this thread.

FS2K
July 11, 2007, 03:23 AM
To me, would be the high cost of Ammo. (well, other than the .308's of course.)

Unless you plan on doing your own reloads. Still, I suspect even loading your own Ammunition in those big calibers would still end up costing more than 5.56 X 45mm.

oldbillthundercheif
July 11, 2007, 05:30 AM
I would also like one of these, but I'm going to hold off until one of them has caught on and had the bugs worked out of it. Ammo cost is a concern as I've already had to cut down my .308 consumption.

Here's the idea taken to its lunatic conclusion:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251181&highlight=.45-70+AR

FirstFreedom
July 11, 2007, 08:26 AM
http://www.boardtracker.com/search/?search=.50+beowulf&page=1&cat=1&order=1&scope=4&sitelimit=thefiringline.com&boardid=&for=0

bobn
July 11, 2007, 08:35 AM
in my opinion it depends on where you are at in gun collecting. meaning i have done the blackpowder thing, the contender thing, the magnum thing, the wierd european pistol thing, etc. then with reloading the volume thing, the custom load thing, etc. you see where this goes. currently a little older/borderline old fart(over 50).
..... so now i like standard cartridge/guns that are a little quieter to shoot with a little less recoil, easy to get compontents for. lol, bobn.
.....ps 50 beowolf in my opinion is just a expensive to feed 20gauge automatic shotgun. lol.