PDA

View Full Version : Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine 7.62x54r mm

Rmstn1580
July 10, 2007, 07:13 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine for $90 at a sporting goods store. I asked a friend about it and he said it's not a very reliable rifle and that it isn't very accurate. I would like to hear more about this before I go spending money on it (I'm on a tight budget). Thanks

tomh1426
July 10, 2007, 08:00 PM
Its a good solid reliable rifle that shoots very cheap ammo.
For more info that you want to know look here
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forums.com/smf/index.php

Davis
July 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
They are reasonably accurate, better than the average AK.

Davis

MHbushmaster
July 10, 2007, 08:08 PM
The M44 is as reliable as a shovel.
The M44 is minute of bad-guy accurate at 100 yards at its worst, at its best it is more like a 4MOA rifle at 100 yards.
The M44 makes a nice fireball when you touch off a round at dusk or dark.
The M44 has an intergral bayonette which is nice for those random drive by bayonettings that we so frequently hear about in the news:rolleyes:

Bottom line: the M44 is a ruggedly built rifle that will serve you well for range shooting purposes (its cheap to feed) and is a viable rifle for deer brush type rifle or a stash it away in your vehicle gun (truck gun) for those varmints and other critters that are nusiances that need to be exterminated.

Buy it, I'm sure you will find a use for it. I've got 3 Mosin Nagants, one of them is a M44, I'm looking to buy more because they are a hoot to shoot:)

Davis
July 10, 2007, 08:22 PM
Heh, I have 42...

Davis

bennnn
July 10, 2007, 08:32 PM
asked a friend about it and he said it's not a very reliable rifle and that it isn't very accurate.

Did your friend say that about the particular rifle you were looking at,,, or Mosins in general?

An M44 can certainly be mastered.....

I guess if you let a Mosin Nagant Rifle get really dirty,,, it might be less reliable... Accuracy depends on the bore, the muzzle,, and numerous other things,, some that you can change....

Rmstn1580
July 10, 2007, 08:54 PM
Haha, I'm liking what I'm hearing here! bennnn, I asked my friend about the M44 in particular and he said it's not very accurate. I thought I would get a second opinion before I blow off a rifle. I don't want to pass up a sale on one and not buy it then later find out that it's a great gun. Thanks for warming me up to it again! :D I noticed that it's relatively short. Is that something I'd need to worry about?

bottom rung
July 10, 2007, 10:04 PM
No the short barrel is nothing to worry about. My buddy bought one for 100 bucks and the thing works great. The short barrel allows you to enjoy a massive fireball. It is blinding at dusk and extremely visible in full sun. Go for it. Ammo is cheap. I think he paid $70 for 480 rounds. It is a lot of fun.

tomh1426
July 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
Just make sure you clean all the cosmoline out of it , especialy in the chamber and bolt.
If not properly cleaned you will find yourself with a sticky bolt.

Rmstn1580
July 11, 2007, 12:22 AM
So when I get it, what should I do before shooting it? I don't want to mess it up in any way.

tomh1426
July 11, 2007, 12:34 AM
You should search how to clean it here http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forums.com/smf/index.php?board=45.0 they have very detailed instructions with pictures and video.
Taking the bolt down the first time or two is confusing so its a big help
If you dont clean the chamber good enough your bolt will stick.
I thought I cleaned mine more than good enough twice but I was wrong.

chris in va
July 11, 2007, 02:44 AM
Gander Mountain?;)

My M38 shoots decently enough. You will probably have to tap the front sight over some though. Don't be shy with the bolt, whack the crap out of it when it gets stuck.

Oh, and you *can't* mess it up. It's father was a 2x4.

tomh1426
July 11, 2007, 03:16 AM
What chris in va said is true
I had to kick open my bolt once or twice never fearing damage
With the help of a cordless drill a short piece of cleaning rod and a 20ga brush it cycles smooth all the time now

armoredman
July 11, 2007, 08:57 AM
Ditto all the above, and if you are recoil sensitive, a clip on recoil pad ain't a bad idea, either.
Good solid bolt action rifles, built peasant proof. :cool:

Rmstn1580
July 11, 2007, 03:46 PM
Once I get I will clean it for hours on end. I won't want to put it down :). It will be tough for me to kick such a good rifle :(. What must be done must be done.

tomh1426
July 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
If you clean it right you wont be kicking the bolt.

Old Time Hunter
July 11, 2007, 04:52 PM
First: Clean, clean, and then clean.

Disassemble down to bare stock, receiver/barrel, magazine/trigger guard, bolt, butt plate.
Wash stock down with Murphy's oil soap and hot water (at least a couple, three baths) and wipe off with clean towel each time.
Soak magazine, bolt, and butt plate (along with screws) in mineral spirits or any kind of varnish remover, then rinse with brake cleaner (spray can).
Mop out bore of barrel with a copious amount of windex or the like with ammonia additive(gets out any corrosive residue and neutralizes the acids), after dry patching out moisture, spray the bore down with WD40. Let it sit over night, then rinse entire receiver and barrel with brake cleaner, both inside and out( this stuff takes the cosmoline out!). Wipe off any remaining residue and oil down, inside and out with RemOil or it's equivalent. I usually fill the bore at this point with a good foaming bore cleaner and let it sit for a half hour or so, then patch clean and re-oil the barrel.
Put is back together, buy some ammo, and head for the range. If it is like mine and you use cheap surplus or Wolf Gold ammo, you will have trouble finding a 4 x 4 target at 100 yards. I put the expensive Winchester ammo in it and glory be, 1 1/2" cluster at 100 yards. The hand loads with a .312 dia pill (Hornady 150 gr) and reduced load of H4895 (31 grains) cloverleafed a 100 yards. Mine does not like cheap or lighter ammo unless you slow it down.

Rmstn1580
July 11, 2007, 04:56 PM
Uh, will WD40, Windex, Break Free gun oil, patches, and metal brushes work? :)

tomh1426
July 11, 2007, 05:05 PM
I still had a sticky bolt with some ammo after all that cleaning
I would shoot it untill it got hot/stuck then clean it , after doing that a few times it got better
Polishing the chamber made a BIG improvment , no sticky bolt since then.

Rmstn1580
July 11, 2007, 05:07 PM
I just read an article that a steam cleaner works very well to break it up. Would it be wise to use that on an M44?

bennnn
July 11, 2007, 05:13 PM
Be careful with the stock if its a laminate.... You can mess that up...

Read this page,, it'll help a lot...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mosincarbine/index.asp

tomh1426
July 11, 2007, 05:14 PM
Cosmoline melts at a low temp , lots of people use heat in one way or another to melt it away.
Steam should work good
I live in AZ so mine probably sat around in extream heat befor I got it because all the cosmo was melted to one side of the box

bennnn
July 11, 2007, 05:22 PM
Here are a few easy things you can do to accurize it after you clean it up.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234979

Not to mention a buch of other great M/N info from everyone...

Rmstn1580
July 11, 2007, 05:55 PM
So if the stock isn't laminate, steam would work well? I also read that putting water and small parts of the rifle in a pan and bring it to a light boil to get the cosmoline off.

Do anyone know of a website where I can download how to disassemble and reassemble an M44?

bennnn
July 11, 2007, 06:02 PM
The link in post #21..............

Rmstn1580
July 11, 2007, 06:06 PM
Oops, didn't see the right side :)

Old Time Hunter
July 11, 2007, 06:13 PM
Not BREAK FREE gun oil....CRC Brake Cleaner! Melts cosmoline faster than you can ascertain what brake cleaner is! And yes, Murphy's Oil Soap will NOT harm a laminated stock, anymore than it will harm a cheap dining room laminated table.

bennnn
July 11, 2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, that's true..

I use a fair amount of brake cleaner myself.. I like to use it to get the crap out of my chamber after shooting the good old red lacquer...

Rmstn1580
July 11, 2007, 06:36 PM
If I'm buying the gun from a sporting goods store, will it still be caked in cosmoline or do they do something with that?

CGSteve8718
July 11, 2007, 06:51 PM
On top of all that was already said, it's a milsurp that is still not too hard to find. Once you get it, you might just find yourself addicted to milsurp shooting and or collecting. Nagants are especially addictive.

tomh1426
July 11, 2007, 07:35 PM
They might take off the top layer in some easy to reach places but not enough to shoot it.
The ammo it shoots is usually corrosive so get used to cleaning it , its realy simple.

Rmstn1580
July 11, 2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I'm going to clean it well every time. I found some good things about its cleaning and disassembly and reassembly. Anything I should know about handling it or shooting it?

jbrown
July 11, 2007, 11:08 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/index.asp

complete and with pictures

Rmstn1580
July 13, 2007, 09:17 PM
I saw it and filled out the paperwork today. It's in pretty good shape and isn't caked in cosmoline. Should have it by the 27th.