PDA

View Full Version : Mauser experts-a couple qusestions.

jrfoxx
July 10, 2007, 06:56 PM
So, I have a M1871/84 that is short the stock and bolt only at this point (salvaged what I could originally,which was the barrel,receiver, and a few other metal bits, then scrounged the rest of the parts).I REALLY want to restore this thing for the uniqueness of the caliber and load, as well as its age, and the fact that all the barrel and receiver markings are very sharp and clean, as they were about the only things somehow untouched by rust/pitting, the serial is pretty low at 4444, and the fact I basically saved it from likely being sold for scrap metal.
Anywho, to get to the point, parts, especially a stock and bolt, are virtualy non-existant for sale, so if it came down to it, and this was my only choice to have it be something other than a pile of old parts, can any other mauser model's stock and bolt be used (safely of course, and on the stock, wih minimal modifying)? It doesnt seem like it, but I figured I'd ask those more knowledgeable on mausers for their advice/opinions on salvaging this cool old beast.Any help, suggestions, leads on where to get parts ,etc. would be appreciated.

P.S.-yes, I checked Numrich's, and they are out of stock on what I still need, and say they have been for quite a while,and dont know when that will change.Also, I am watching ebay, but $245 for a stock is a little steep right now:(....
Thanks.

frankxd
July 11, 2007, 08:04 AM
I thought about buying some of these when they showed up in the SOG flyer. I was going to do the 6 for $99 to see if I could piece together a couple of decent rifles, but heard that none have bolts. I searched the web and could not find any parts, so I gave up and didn't order. Let us know if you have any luck with this project.

Other than Numrich, a couple of other places to check for parts is: Tennessee Gun Parts and Springfield Sporters.

Scorch
July 11, 2007, 02:00 PM
Model 71 and 71/84 rifles are few and far between any more, and the ones you do find are kind of pricey. I had a Model 1871 for many years, and it was a very reliable shooter. I loaded with Pyrodex and resized 350 gr .458 bullets or paper-patched 300 gr .429 bullets because the .449 bullets were not available.

No other Mauser bolts will fit, and there is not likely a source for parts. If you want to rebuild it, you will need several of them, and the ones that are sold as parts generally do not have bolts, as you have discovered.

My advice: if you want a shooter 71/84, buy one in working condition. You can find chopped ones for a $250-350. Whole, functional ones are selling for $350-750.