PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot compared to optical scope

Abndoc
July 9, 2007, 08:40 AM
Berated has a thread comparing Red Dot sights to holographic sights to iron sights, and I was suprised at the positive responses for the electronic sights, and how accurate they are.

How do they compare to optical scopes? Are they minute of soda can or can you do some fine target shooting with them?

I realize that fast target aquisition is their primary purpose and I may be comparing apples to oranges.

armoredman
July 9, 2007, 09:13 AM
I hope they work well - I just mounted an old Aimpoint on a Yugo.:eek:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/budgetbattlerifle.jpg

mikejonestkd
July 9, 2007, 09:15 AM
As with scopes, alot of the accuracy potential with red dots depends on the quality of the sight.

The size of the red dot is also a major factor. It is hard to do precision work at XXX yards with a 8 MOA dot, but much nicer with a smaller dot.

I have a holosight on a 10/22 and it is quick and I can still get right around 1" groups at 50 yards which is fine for a plinker .22 rifle.

My neighbor has an aimpoint on an AR and he can consistently get right around 2" groups at 100 yards with it, he could do better with a finer dot though.

Hope this helps

HorseSoldier
July 9, 2007, 10:10 AM
+1 what mikejonestkd said about dot size being an important consideration.

With something like an EOTech (1 MOA dot) or similar, you can get nice tight groups on the range and effectively shoot out to iron sights kind of ranges (some people don't like them at longer ranges). Bigger dots can be faster at close ranges but harder to get longer range performance out of them.