PDA

View Full Version : What about a Sunshade on a Scope?

Fremmer
July 8, 2007, 04:10 PM
The most recent American Rifleman features a review of the Nikko Stirling scope; for a $191.00 scope, it got a pretty darn good review. The Stirling has a sunshade.

I've never used a sunshade on a scope before. For those of you who have used a sunshade, is it worth adding to my Leupold? The main application would be for a hunting rifle.

Your comments on sunshades are appreciated. Thanks!

Scorch
July 8, 2007, 06:17 PM
For a deer hunting rig, I wouldn't bother. For a varminting or target rig, yes. If you have glare problems with your deer rifle, buy one of the anti-glare screens that snaps into the objective lens.

Yithian
July 8, 2007, 09:07 PM
Sunshades are for use during the daytime.
Since most hunting encounters for large game occurs at sunrise and sunset, it isn't needed.

If you hunt during the day, you will be glad you had it.
Glare, from the sun hitting the front optics, will place a white fuzz on your sight picture.
The more shadow in front of it will result in a much cleaner/clearer picture.
Its just, once the sunlight starts to fade, you will want that shade off.

This subject is kinda getting into quality issues of scopes as well.
Anyone can tell a quality scope from a "shelf" scope by looking thru it after the sun goes down.
Just last night, Armedtotheteeth and I were hunting pigs. It was well after sunset but still enough light to walk by.
I could still see the pigs thru my scope and was working my way closer to them.
He couldn't see the pigs thru his scope any longer. He had to open fire on the one he could make out.

Using a sunshade on a poor scope is almost never recommended.
It can drown out the light that it may need to give you a clearer picture, ie. clouds passing overhead.

Leupolds are a good scope, with or without a sunshade.
The thing you have to decide is whether you hunt in the daylight or twilight.
If you hunt both in the same day, just be sure and have a safe place to put the shade once you remove it. They can be bent and threads can be damaged.
Use of a glare screen is easier in that regard. But their downside is another item in the view to catch dust/fingerprints.

tINY
July 9, 2007, 02:19 AM
The other reason to have a sunshade on a scope is glint. It can give away your position (to the 2 or 4 legged critters).

-tINY

Martyn4802
July 9, 2007, 08:24 AM
I use sunshades regularly for target shooting to keep the sun and stray light off of the scope's objective lens, which makes for a much clearer target when viewed through the scope. I use them for varmint hunting too. Haven't gotten into using them for big game hunting, but several guys I know do use them. They use the short 2" shades.

Martyn

44 AMP
July 9, 2007, 02:05 PM
The previous owner of my .22-250 made a "shade" from a cardboard tube. About 8 inches long, colored black, with the ends a nice contrasting silver duct tape. It slips on the end of the scope. I have used it a few times, and under the right condtions, it does improve the sharpness of the image.

Most of the time, it doesn't seem to do much, and I don't use it often.

Martyn4802
July 9, 2007, 02:23 PM
I make them out of cardboard too, for target shooting. I shoot 22 Rimfire Benchrest and the sunshade keeps the heat waves that come off the barrel from shimering up in front of the scope, messing up the target image.
I make them long enough to cover the whole barrel.

Martyn

Fremmer
July 9, 2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone. I don't know much about those shades. I'd never thought about the "glint" reflecting from the lens, so I'll have to give that some thought!