PDA

View Full Version : How do I deploy the bayonet on an M44 Mosin?

AmesJainchill
July 7, 2007, 06:29 PM
IIRC, the manual I downloaded doesn't say how to do it, and I can't figure it out.

tomh1426
July 7, 2007, 06:47 PM
Its spring loaded , pull it back and swing it out.

Manedwolf
July 7, 2007, 06:49 PM
And once you've deployed it, for an easy range snack, place a marshmallow on the end before firing. The muzzleblast ought to toast it nicely. :D

Mike U.
July 7, 2007, 11:36 PM
That is freakin' hilarious! :D

stinger
July 7, 2007, 11:39 PM
It has to be unscrewed first...

AmesJainchill
July 7, 2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks very much. Very cool!

Mike U.
July 8, 2007, 09:18 PM
Are you going to try and see if it's more accurate with bayo extended?

Davis
July 8, 2007, 09:34 PM
There are two types of M44 bayonet. The first pattern has one "ear" on the mounting bracket and a flat socket. This type requires the user to pull down on the collar and ring, which will unlock the bayonet. Then swing the bayo into place, keeping pressure on the collar until you have the socket over the barrel. Then release the collar and the bayonet will be in place.

The second pattern works exactly the same way as the SKS bayonet. It has two "ears" to lock the bayonet in place, either extended or folded back. The socket also has a beveled section which allows you to pop the bayonet on smartly. You pull the collar down the same way as in the 1st pattern, but you release it immediately once you start swinging the bayo. At this point, you merely swing the bayo into place. It will automatically lock into place with no more effort.

Davis

AmesJainchill
July 10, 2007, 01:36 AM
Ah. I've got one with the first type of bayonet and I would hate to have to do it in combat. I pity those poor guys.

Jason_G
July 10, 2007, 03:08 PM
They're supposed to point backwards, because the danger always came from the commissars behind the line :D.

Jason

frankxd
July 10, 2007, 04:01 PM
It's likely gummed up with old cosmoline and grime. Clean the mechanism well, and it should be easier to open.