PDA

View Full Version : Interarms MK X

piercfh
July 7, 2007, 12:07 AM
I finally quit talking about it and bought an Interarms MK X to be made into my ultimate meat gun. As soon as I got the rifle home I started disassembly and found some areas I'm dissatisfied with. I also bought a bell and carlson stock. Looks like Ill be waiting a long while to get it back though (7-8 weeks).

Anyhow I need to do something different with the trigger. I guess its the original interarms part, but after it breaks the over travel is ridiculously long and springy. The trigger also has allot of side to side play. If I wanted to replace the trigger what model Mauser trigger do I need to buy? My guess was 98, and what do I do about a safety? Can the current safety be used with a Timney with no safety?

Also for a scope base what rifle can I reference to? I have a 1pc Leupold base on a browning safari (fn action), and without holding both rifles side by side I assume the two receivers are the same.

Any help and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Socrates
July 7, 2007, 12:29 AM
Contact Jack Huntington at Huntington Advanced Gunsmithing for a solution. There is a trigger solution that doesn't sacrifice the safety. For a LONG time my rifle had that exact setup, but, there is another solution, I just can't remember what it is...:confused:;)

Dr. S

PS
I have an Interarms Mark X, and, it's at his shop

smiljko
July 7, 2007, 01:32 AM
Do you have adjustable or double set trigger? If you have adjustable it can be adjusted and on both mark x rifles I owned it was very,very good-it breaks like glass. Just be sure what you are doing so you dont mess up the safety. Maybe the previous owner played around with it and messed it up. You should realy try to adjust the factory trigger before you spend some money on aftermarket one-it is realy good.

PS you should be able to download the manual if you google a little

Any pics of the rifle?

Cheers

piercfh
July 7, 2007, 12:49 PM
Im still wondering what classification/model this action falls under. I have heard them called commercial, but what about a model number.

Jimro
July 7, 2007, 02:24 PM
The MarkX is a commercial m98 made by Zastava in what was Yugoslavia, now Serbia.

Bold or Timney drop in triggers will work with the action, with or without the side safety.

I've shopped with sporter express before, fully recommend them.

http://www.sporterexpress.com/v2/

Jimro

smiljko
July 7, 2007, 02:37 PM
http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/civilni.htm

Here is the link- it should be noted that export mark x models were much better than rifles sold under zastava name-better finish,much better triggers,stocks...

piercfh
July 7, 2007, 03:57 PM
The bold or timney triggers for a mauser 98 action will work. Wonderful. Will the triggers without a safety work with the original safety I have?

thanks for the help

Scorch
July 7, 2007, 06:28 PM
I have several Mark X rifles. The trigger can be adjusted and tightened to eliminate the slop, if you can do it yourself. I have one that has had the pins replaced, sears squared and been adjusted for minimum engagement and negligible overtravel. It is as good as any Timney, but to have a gunsmith do the work would cost more than a Timney.

If you go for an aftermarket trigger, buy a trigger with a side safety. The triggers without a safety are for rifles with safeties on the bolt shroud like military Mausers. Also, the Bell & Carlson stocks tend to range from club-like to awful. There are better stocks available for just a little bit more.

Jimro
July 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
Yes, the triggers without side safeties will work with your rifle and you will retain the use of the "flag safety" on the bolt sleeve. The flag safety will actually relieve pressure on the sear while a side safety will only lock the sear in place. This is why I consider the flag safety a better option.

It is a pain in the arse to do a good job inletting the stock for a side safety, and I speak from experience. Also you would have to modify the bolt sleeve to not interfere with the side safety, which is also a PITA (once again I speak from experience).

Jimro

stevelyn
July 7, 2007, 11:38 PM
The Mark X, Charles Daly, and now the current incarnation-Remington 798- are the same rifle. As other posters have stated they are commercial M-98 Mausers made by Zastava of Serbia.

There are plenty of aftermarket triggers for these rifles and it also looks like Gentry is now making a M-70 type three-position safety and bolt shroud for them now.

I'm considering ordering one for each of the CD actions I have.