PDA

View Full Version : Martini Enfield

w_houle
July 6, 2007, 11:54 PM
I am looking to buy a martini enfield in .303 for $475, when the store owner heard of my intention to shoot it se mentioned something about shooting BP instead of "Modern" ammunition, it sounds like crap to me. According to my wikifacts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.303_British) the chamber pressure for the more modern cordite is lower than BP

w_houle
July 7, 2007, 12:23 AM
Oh yeah, and while I am thinking of it, is this a firing gun or just a neat wall hanger incapable of sending lead downrange?

RedneckFur
July 7, 2007, 12:28 AM
I'm no Enfield expert, but I know some of the older ones used a different type of rifling. Rounded lands instead of squared. It had problems using the more modern types of ammo. I'd check the barrel to see what sort of rifling it had.

I know there are several grades of .303 ammo too. The newer stuff is higher velocity than the older ammo. That might also have some effect on how it performs in that rifle, if its safe to use in that rifle at all.

But assuming the rifle is in good working order, I'm sure you can hand load rounds to the older spec's and enjoy shooting it.

w_houle
July 7, 2007, 12:42 AM
It almost looked like a polygon barrel, so I think they were round and I had a hard time keeping a reference in the barrel so I couldn't figure out how many lands and grooves were rifled, but IIRC I would almost say there were five, which just sounds odd because I was expecting four or six

w_houle
July 7, 2007, 11:43 AM
Started poking around the internet and found out that the rifle in question is a Khyber Pass copy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyber_Pass_Copy) and their take on it is they all are dangerous with even the lightest loads, and so it goes... to someone else!

Jim Watson
July 7, 2007, 11:51 AM
Pity, a real Martini Enfield would have been an interesting and imminently shootable rifle. What happened, when England went to the Lee bolt actions, they went through a series of "marks" as they improved the design. They started out with Metford rifling which had rounded lands and grooves for easy cleaning with black powder. But cordite was erosive and wore the barrels badly, so they went to Enfield square groove rifling for better durability. Yes, five grooves is correct. Hence the Lee-Enfield service rifle.

That left them with a large inventory of obsolete single shot black powder Martini Henrys. So they converted some to .303, the Martini Enfield. That let them standardize on ammunition, but still left the native troops with a single shot versus the regulars' repeaters, in case they got funny ideas.

The action is plenty strong for .303 and they bushed the firing pin for smokeless ammo primers. A very good strong gun... if you have a real one and not a Pakistani copy as that one turned out to be.

w_houle
July 7, 2007, 07:06 PM
Bastard!.. It would be nice to have but i would be colossally stupid of me to pay that high of a price for it, and the thing that bugs me is the guy claimed he paid $400 for it. I am not sure if he got the bad end of a really [email protected]#!ed deal or if he is just trying to pull a fast one on me. If I want to pursue this any what would be good advice?

Davis
July 7, 2007, 08:55 PM
SOG is selling a bunch of fake Martinis at the present. And their prices are up there. This guy could easily have paid $400 for it. Many of these fakes look pretty good to the uninformed (after all, it looked decent to you, right?). They are dangerous to fire and you most certainly did the right thing by doing your research first.

Davis

fisherman66
July 7, 2007, 09:15 PM
I'd love to see a modern reproduction ME in a European styled full stock with a hogs back buttstock (in 303 of course). What a cool rifle.

This is as close as I can find
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/martininut/200566192341_100_1143.JPG

radom
July 8, 2007, 01:34 AM
I have always used Brit WW-2 cordite stuff in the things..seems to work just fine.

Tikirocker
July 8, 2007, 07:15 AM
You just side stepped a panji pit mate .... be very careful as you boys in the US are seeing a flood of Khyber Pass specials on your market these days; not everyone has been as lucky so it pays to do a little research and reading as you did.