PDA

View Full Version : H&R Ultra Varmint .223 extractor trouble.

Crosshair
July 6, 2007, 12:31 AM
I have a serious problem. My H&R Ultra Varmint .223 is no longer extracting spent casings. The extractor "works" when I break the gun, but it doesn't catch the extraction grove on the case. The extractor does not appear to be broken. (Does anyone have a picture of the extractor so I can double check.) It was extracting casings fine and then just suddenly it stopped.

It looks like the extractor is now lower than it should be and it does not catch the extraction grove. Is the top of the extractor, where it grips the case, supposed to be round or square?

I really need to get this gun working again as I am taking it on a road trip next week. Any ideas?

USMCG_HMX1
July 6, 2007, 01:57 AM
What kind of brass are you using?

Can you extract unfired brass ?

Kris

Crosshair
July 6, 2007, 02:15 AM
I am using range pickup brass. I cannot extract unfired brass.

Clone
July 6, 2007, 09:49 AM
is the extractor lose, does it move up and down? is that the bull barrel version?

bobn
July 6, 2007, 01:04 PM
i notice you live in nd, i live in minn. right now the radiant heat from sun has all my ammo to hot to touch. i have to keep it out of the sun otherwise pressures are way up. that will greatly affect function. just a thought, bobn

Crosshair
July 7, 2007, 12:15 PM
I figured it out. I decided to take apart the extractor and see what the problem was. I downloaded the parts diagram and found that it was just one roll pin to remove the extractor. (I figured it was, but wanted to be sure.) I removed the extractor and extractor spring and I found that it was bad fouling in the extractor area that was keeping the extractor spring from pushing the extractor upwards.

Thanks Clone for pointing out that the extractor should have some up and down movement from spring pressure. Once I realize that it was "stuck" I figured that there must be something in there. When the extractor failed I was shooting at a gravel pit. Lots of sand there so I figured that there must be some sand in the extractor. There was no sand there, just built up gunk. I cleaned it and it now works 100%.

I left the extractor roll pin out. It is just a retaining pin and the gun functions without it with no risk of loosing the extractor. The extractor and extractor spring are easy to remove and replace. Now if I ever have this failure again I will know the solution and with the roll pin gone, I can do it at the range or in the field.

FirstFreedom
July 7, 2007, 01:53 PM
Glad you got that worked out. Now hang out your shingle to moonlight as a gunsmith. :)

CSD
December 23, 2009, 01:54 AM
I am having the same problem with my Fluted Ultra Varmint 223. How did you get that roll pin out? I looks almost like the barrel needs to be separated from the frame to get in there.

Crosshair
December 23, 2009, 08:36 AM
I am having the same problem with my Fluted Ultra Varmint 223. How did you get that roll pin out? I looks almost like the barrel needs to be separated from the frame to get in there.
Then take the barrel off the frame.

Remove the forearm, open the action and the barrel lifts up and out. Far easier to do than a T/C encore action.

Have a Merry Christmas.

CSD
December 23, 2009, 10:32 AM
I was not aware the rifle broke done so easily! Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you too!

Crosshair
December 24, 2009, 12:31 AM
I was not aware the rifle broke done so easily! Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you too!
You're welcome. We've all been in that situation where the solution is staring us in the face and we don't see it until someone points it out.

fyimo
December 24, 2009, 07:03 AM
I'm glad it was an easy fix.