PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Mauser

bottom rung
July 5, 2007, 09:18 PM
I went to the gun store today to buy a scope and came out with a Swedish Mauser M96. It has complete matching numbers, except for the middle barrel band. I paid $275 for it. The rifling has some minor pitting, but it isn't too bad. It was made in 1900. I noticed on the very end of the barrel it said CAI....VT. This means it was imported by Century Arms. I am really happy with it so far. I will give more details at a later date. I was wondering though, did I get a good price? Are they valuable? I have never seen an M96 locally and I have been looking for several years.

Jimro
July 5, 2007, 10:06 PM
You didn't get a rock bottom bargain, but you didn't get ripped off by any means, especially for such an early production. I'd say you got the better end of the deal.

Jimro

PitBull
July 5, 2007, 10:38 PM
You didn't "steal" it but $275 isn't bad, though. They are going up in value. The current price range is about $225-300+ depending. They are very accurate, too. I've just recently started to reload for that round. The only annoying thing is that the lowest sight setting is 300m. You can get a taller front sight blade, install it, and file it down until the point of impact is where you want for a closer distance.
Congrats on your new toy.

PitBull

44 AMP
July 5, 2007, 10:40 PM
Most likely. Mine does, and every one I ever heard anybody talk about has, unless they replaced the front sight.

Swede miliatry ammo is usually a 160gr FMJ and 140gr is the bullets is find for loading. My rifle is Carl Gustav 1917, and a mild charge of IMR 4320 and the Speer 140gr bullet hits the 450yd gong with the sights set all the way down.

Can't say about today's prices, as I haven't been looking lately. I got mine for $125, but that was a few years ago. Also Century arms import.

HorseSoldier
July 6, 2007, 08:25 AM
$275 is probably $50-100 less than I see all-matching Swedes with the brass disk on the stock going for at gun shows locally. I'd say it's a pretty good, and pretty fair, price.

bottom rung
July 6, 2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah, it is a Carl Gustaf and it has the brass disc on the side of the stock. Thanks everybody for the heads up about the sights. I noticed the numbering starting at three on the ladder sight. I thought it was strange, but didn't think much of it. At least I have some idea of what to expect now. I had no clue before. You guys also saved a thread that would have been titled, "M96-Why does it shoot so high?" I have been wanting one of these for a while. I wasn't sure about the price, but I thought the gun was worth it. I am glad I didn't willfully get robbed either.

sneaky pete
July 8, 2007, 09:38 AM
Old Sneaky here: The Swed military switched over to the 139gr m/41 prickskytte round in 1941. If you find any 156gr Mil-surp it's obviously older then I am and I'd be really skeptical about shooting it. THANX--SNEAKY

hodaka
July 8, 2007, 09:52 AM
I have a 1914 Gustaf. I tried one of the tall front sights and it looked too strange for me. I now shoot 140gr. Rem. (cheap) bullets with a case full of 8700 powder and it is pretty much POA at 200yds. A bit slower than possible but with plenty of punch.

Wildalaska
July 8, 2007, 11:41 AM
You can buy different height front sights. here is how I did mine.

First get yourself some real M41 ball ammo. If you cant, work up a load that will run about 2575 fps with a 140 0R 139 gr bullett. The load I use is 44 gr rl-22 in lapua cases with 210M primers with 140MK or 139 scenar. this gives me mil velocity.

*caution* Sierras new manual puts that load as close to max. work up carefully* In my M41B (and M38s) that load is very mild...my OAL (again you must measure your chamber/throat) is 3.150, which is .50 over suggested max OAL..

Got your ammo? set your sight at 3 and fire away. Measure difference between center of group and poa (should be about 6 inches high). See what number front sight you have, and then swap out for the right one!

Simple.

Then get your self one of those Metavarken or whatever they are called sight inserts for even more tuning. Bunch of them on ebay.

Price...$275 is a nice price. Expect them to be very much higher in a few years.

WildlovestheswedesAlaska

44 AMP
July 8, 2007, 01:17 PM
I do have a small number of old Swede military rounds. The headstamp includes the number 96. Bullets are long FMJ RN, silverish in color. Cases are dark brown, and one or two are cracked. I don't shoot it.

I have a hunch this is original 1896 ammo, but have no proof.

natlmatch
July 8, 2007, 08:02 PM
BR,

With all the talk of Mausers drying up. I decided to head to the Houston High Caliber Gunshow downtown yesterday and let me tell ya, there was very little in the way of old milsurp there. I counted five Mausers of which one was a Yugo (which was actually in pretty good shape and priced at $195. I went back for it 10 mins after I passed it up and it was "el-gone-o") and the other was the Swede pictured here:

http://jettrail.net/swedmaus

Shes got a surprisingly shiny bore, and the wood grain is just lovely. I can't wait to give her a light cleaning (no sanding gents, I promise), however her muzzle end looks like hell and I'm not sure how to go about "spiffing" that up (anyone have any advice?). I took her home for $250 and frankly, I feel relieved that I snagged her as I too believe they have all but dried up. now If I can find one more in slightly better shape, I might be able to live happy :D

btw the pictures of the bolt show up as very red and tarnished, as I look over at her standing up near my desk, its actually brite and shiny. Sadly I'm not very good at digital photography so I apologize for the sub-standard pictures.

Regards.

bottom rung
July 9, 2007, 10:22 PM
natlmatch, that gun is pretty good looking. Does anybody else have this on their front sight, +0.5. It is on the sight and the base. Also where can I get cheap ammo? I have a box of Federal Power Shoks, but $22 is a little pricey. I really like this gun a lot and I haven't even shot it yet.

Baba Louie
July 9, 2007, 11:33 PM
Also where can I get cheap ammo?Muahahaha
Try here... http://www.samcoglobal.com/ammo.html
Buy a case. Reload.
Still and all, $0.37 per round (plus shipping) isn't that bad... if Samco's still got any.

BusGunner007
July 9, 2007, 11:39 PM
You did well.

When I sold my 1901 matching #'s w/accessories + ammo at the gunshow--- for $200.00 :eek: --- I got rid of it; the guy who bought it got a SMOKIN' deal; and I used the money to get a Browning A-5 shotgun.
Everybody was happy, but that guy with my old Swede was REALLY happy! :D
I never shot the gun in 7 years, so I didn't miss it too much...sort of. ;)

bottom rung
July 10, 2007, 09:59 PM
I shot the gun today!! I did one shot while holding the gun out and away from me just to make sure it was safe. It was. The next three rounds were all over the place at fifty yards. My fault. The next three rounds made a one inch group a little to right of the bullseye. I put another few rounds in that same grouping bringing it out to two inches. Then I took my remaining eight rounds and tried to hit a Tide bottle at two hundred yards. I missed. Everytime. All in all, the gun is very accurate and I can't wait to get more ammo and hit the range again. I need practice, but I don't think the gun needs much of anything.

natlmatch
July 11, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hey man thats awesome news, glad she fired.......without killing ya :P hehe. As for my "new" Swede, I have a local gunsmith near me so I'm going to have him give the old gal a "once over" and make sure I don't blow up the most recent addition to my collection. I'll give a range report as soon as I can. Once again, GRATS!!!!!!

BUSTER51
July 12, 2007, 06:52 PM
http://www.firearmreflections.com is live with new articles - with many more to come!!!

General Maintenance
WWW Links
Need a Rifle Part?
Search
Site Introduction
Postal Matches
C&R License Information
Sponsors

Pistol Sections
1911 .45 ACP Pistol
C-96 Broomhandle
Colt M 1917 Pistol
CZ Model 52 Pistol
Luger P.08 Pistol
m1895 Nagant Pistol
Nambu Type 14
Pistole 38 (P.38)
Tokarev TT-33 Pistol
Rifle Sections
AK-47
Argentine 1891 Rifle
Argentine 1909 Carbine
Arisaka Type 38
Arisaka Type 99
Carcano Model 38
Carcano Model 1891/41
CETME
Civil Guard, M1916
CZ BRNO 98/22
CZ BRNO Vz24
Egyptian Hakim
Enfield No. 4
Enfield No. 5 Carbine
FAL
Finnish m/28
Finnish m/39
FN-49
French MAS-36
German Gew 98
German Kar.98AZ & 98a
German Mauser 98k
M38, M44, & 1891/59
Madsen m47
Mosin-Nagant 1891/30
No. 2 Mk IV Trainer
Portuguese 1904/39
Reising Model 60 SMG
Romanian 1969 Trainer
SKS Carbine
SMLE No 1. Mk III
Spanish FR8
Spanish M 93 Mauser
Steyr m1895 Carbine
Swedish Mauser m/38
Swedish Mauser m/96
Swiss Model 31 (k31)
Tokarev SVT-40
Turkish Mauser 1903/38
U.S. Krag Carbine
U.S. Krag Rifle
U.S. M14/M1A
U.S. M1 Carbine
U.S. M1 Garand
U.S. Model 03A3
U.S. Model 1903
U.S. Model 1917
Yugo M-48

Site Disclaimer
Copyright Info

Adobe PDF Downloadable Version of Article

On November 3, 1893 Sweden adopted the 6.5x55mm cartridge. Following this, the Swedes chose the Mauser design based rifle to shoot this round. The Swedish Mauser was manufactured relatively unchanged from 1896 to 1938. The Swedes were way ahead of the curve on using smaller caliber cartridges for military rounds, adopting the 6.5x55mm round in 1893, way before the introduction of the 5.56 NATO and other small caliber rounds around 70 years later.

Designated the Swedish m/96 Rifle or known as it is by collectors - the "Swedish Mauser", this Mauser is one of the most sought after by shooters.

Swedish Steel is a term used when referring to the steel used by the Swedish and Mauser manufacturing facilities to make the m96 rifles. The Swedes felt that their steel was far superior to all others. When Mauser was contracted to make Swedish Mausers in Germany - they were required to use Swedish Steel in the manufacturing process.

Brass disks were installed on the right side of the rifle's stock after the adoption of the m/94/41, 6.5x55mm cartridge in 1941. The disk is divided into three sections. The largest wedge represents the level of bore erosion. The second largest wedge, with words, told the shooter how much to adjust hold over for the new m/94/41 cartridge. The rifles were originally sighted for the m/94 cartridge. Notice the smallest wedge on the disk with a number 1 in the narrowest part of the wedge and the numbers 2 and 3 in the widest part of the wedge.

The number in the smallest part of the wedge is the condition of the bore:
0 means the bore is almost new;
1 means the bore is only slightly worn (this rifle);
2 means the bore is moderately worn;
3 means the rifle bore is serviceable;
4 means the barrel should be replaced.

This Swedish Mauser is in my belief to be one of the finest examples of the Mauser rifle. The level of craftsmanship and detail is incredible. If you have ever have an opportunity to purchase one - DO!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surplusrifle.com's Printed Disassembly & Reassembly Manuals

Click Here for More Info!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 © TENNESSEE GUN PARTS

All material on web pages under the domains surplsurifle.com, surpluspistol.com, or surplusfirearm.com, and CD-ROMS produced by Surplusrifle.com, unless otherwise stated, are the property of Tennessee Gun Parts. These materials are protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. Information received through this website may be displayed and printed for your personal, noncommercial use only. You may make copies of the materials available through this website, solely for your personal, noncommercial use, and only if you preserve any copyright or other notices contained in or associated with them. You may not sell the materials found on this website.

Swedish Mauser Forums
Surplusrifle.com Forums

Maintenance
Swedish Mauser Bolt disassembly/reassembly

Swedish Mauser Rifle disassembly/reassembly
Related Articles

Model LT-98 Series of Sight Adjusters

Shooting the Swede
Book Reviews

NCP For Collectors Only:
The Swedish Mauser Rifles

Robert W. D. Ball's:
Mauser Military Rifles of the World, 2nd Ed

Terence W. Lapin's:
Mauser Military Rifle Markings
Video

Video - Mauser Bolt Disassembly/Reassembly Windows Media Video, 100k, 7.7 meg Download

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 © TENNESSEE GUN PARTS

bottom rung
July 23, 2007, 08:48 PM
Shot the gun some more. I love this thing!! Everybody that shot it loved it.

BusGunner007
July 24, 2007, 01:05 AM
It IS a sweet shooting round/rifle combination.
Glad you like it!

Wildalaska
July 24, 2007, 01:15 AM
Nlmatch you got a Husky M38 there. If the bolt matches the receiver, you stole it.

Stole it!

Get a plastic muzzle cap, $8. Don't put a flash hider on it, thats not correct.

WildcongratsAlaska