PDA

View Full Version : Kimber 84 8400 opinions

svenrh
July 4, 2007, 09:54 AM
Does anyone own a Kimber 84 or 8400? I am mildly interested in one-probably .308 or .30-06. Wood/blue.
Opinions? Overpriced or worth the cash?

SavageSniper
July 4, 2007, 11:34 AM
I have only fired one. It shot good, not nothing to go wow about, but good. They are real nice looking. I would suggest that you actually look at the one you buy vs getting one off the net. The reason I say this is that a few I saw at a show with what was supposed to be AA Fancy walnut was just fancy or more than likely just clear grade wood. A little high priced to me. Just my op

V00DOO
July 4, 2007, 01:45 PM
I own a 30-06 montana...very light and smooth action.

I am not the best shooter, but at 100yards can put 5 shots within 2 in circle all day long

I here from many that the tikka is more accurate however... for half the price:eek:

Charles S
July 4, 2007, 02:25 PM
I personally think that the Kimber is a great rifle. I only have shot one a good friends an 84M in 308 and I love it. Accuracy runs around an inch with his best handloads. Notice I say around. I cannot consistently stay under and inch, (neither can he) but it is great for hunting, light, more than accurate enough. A great gun. I would highly recommend it. I have another friend who is now looking for one in 260.

I here from many that the tikka is more accurate however... for half the price

My Tikka T3 lite in 270 it will consistently out shoot my friends Kimber and it was just at 1/2 the price. I love my Tikka, it may be my favorite gun.

Good luck.

handwerk
July 4, 2007, 02:55 PM
I have a model 84 .308 in french walnut. The fit and finish is very good. It shoots 1'-1 1/2" The barrel heats up quick then the groups open up. You can find ones w/french walnut for about the same price as claro, and having the ebony fore-end tip is a nice touch. My sakos do shoot better but for a light weight rifle in a well done package the kimber is worth it.

BrianBM
July 4, 2007, 08:18 PM
A Kimber construction question. Are their receivers - old or new - cast or forged? I've been reading about the virtues of forged construction, on another site, but it does come at a stiff price and I'm not sure that any low-to-mid price American manufacturer makes them anymore.