PDA

View Full Version : K98 mauser sights

Mausermolt
July 3, 2007, 11:43 PM
i bought a K98 about a month ago and when i shoot it it shoots like a foot high at 100 yds i have the linear sights set all the way back to 100 meters but even the yd to meter conversion shouldnt set it that high should it? even at the 1000yd range i have to set it to about 850 meters to hit the gong. any sugestions on how to maby fix this without altering it to much?

44 AMP
July 4, 2007, 12:03 AM
The calibration on your sights is really only good for one kind of ammo. The one the gun was made for. Other ammo should be close, but unless you match the specs of the original ammo, the sight markings will be a little "off"

And, nearly all the old bolt action service rifles are "zeroed" way beyond 100 yards/meters. Also, it was customary in the old days to teach troops to aim at a man's belt buckle, that way, if you were "off" in range estimation there was still a good chance for a hit.

Had the Swede Mauser out shooting on Father's Day, and was hitting the 450yd gong with the sights set as low as they go!

Bottom line, if you want to hit close to point of aim at 100yds, you ewither need to find a different load (bullet weight/velocity) that shoots to point of aim (not an easy task), or get a taller front sight. Getting a new front sight blade is cheaper in the long run, even if you pay a smith to change it, it is still cheaper than trying to find the one bullet/velocity combination you want out of all the others. And, if you keep the original sight blade, you can restore the rifle to "original" condition whenever you want.

DWARREN123
July 4, 2007, 05:50 PM
I believe the zero setting, if this is what you are using, is set for 300 meters not 100. I have modified my M48 sights to hit at 100 yards with the zero setting. I filed the bottom of the sight ladder down evenly until it was hitting at 100 yards.

crowbeaner
July 4, 2007, 06:03 PM
I had the same problem with a 1903. Two bucks at the gunshow got me a new front sight blade and 15 minutes of work and problem solved. By all means change the front blade before you start filing on anything.

Eghad
July 4, 2007, 06:29 PM
Might try and see if Williams makes an adjustable sight for the 98 I know they make one for the 96 that is adjustable for windage and elevation. Either open or in an aperture.

Mausermolt
July 5, 2007, 12:46 AM
hey thanks for all the imput, since im not realy into modifying any of my old service rifles im thinking ill just aim low....about just below that muleys belly :D hey hope yall have a great 4th of July HAPPY 231st BIRTHDAY USA!!!

jlmurphy
July 5, 2007, 09:40 AM
The front sight on a Mauser is easily changeable, Brownell's or Midway has oversized front sights that you file down to reach a 100 yd zero. To convert it back, just slide in the old sight, nothing permanent.