PDA

View Full Version : .257 or .30-06 Choices

svenrh
July 3, 2007, 11:04 PM
I have an interesting dilemma. I currently own a Remington 722 in .257 Roberts in about 85% condition (great bore). I also have a JC Higgins Model 50 (FN Action) in .30-06 in about the same shape. The dilemma I have is that I have a shot at getting a sweet Ruger tang safety .30-06 in 99% condition-possibly never fired in the box.
To get this Ruger I have to trade one of the other rifles for it. Should I keep the cool caliber .257 and trade the Higgins FN or should I keep the Higgins FN and trade the .257 that I don't shoot. OR-should I keep both of them and let the very nice Ruger go?
Opinions?!

FirstFreedom
July 3, 2007, 11:27 PM
OR-should I keep both of them and let the very nice Ruger go?

That's what I'd do. Or keep the .257. Tough to say without more detailed info on the conditions & features of the rifles, price of the new one, your intended uses, etc.

Jim Watson
July 3, 2007, 11:33 PM
If you don't shoot the .257 you are missing the boat. If you don't plan to shoot it, get the Ruger with it.

bobn
July 3, 2007, 11:38 PM
i would have to trade something to get something else too...but a 722 or a nice FN aint never gonna be around again.
.....i would have to see two inch groups at two hundred yards out of that ruger before the trade! ruger barrels of that vintage were made by wilson in conn, i know my buddies worked there nights, lol. definetely not match grade. then i would still keep the roberts for sure...bobn

Picher
July 4, 2007, 05:36 AM
I'd be inclined to have the Remington refinished to like-new. I'd keep the J.C. Higgins as well, but if you absolutely want another .30-06, I'd dump the one I had and keep the .257.

BTW: They make Rugers every day and they may still be around when you save the money to get one. Mechanically, IMHO, they're inferior to either of your rifles. Sometimes they shoot well, sometimes they don't, but they carry well in the field and will kill a deer inside of 200 yards.

A good friend and good shooter bought a lightweight, short-barrelled Ruger, but it didn't shoot very well, so it was gone after one season.

Picher

fisherman66
July 4, 2007, 08:08 AM
I would decide which '06 I preferred and act accordingly. I cut my teeth on the old 77, so that's my subjective pick.

taylorce1
July 4, 2007, 08:17 AM
I'd keep the .257 Roberts and trade your .30-06. .257 Bob is a great deer rifle and can be used as a varmint rifle as well. Take up hunting coyotes and keep the Bob for it.

Jimro
July 4, 2007, 08:27 AM
Keep the JC Higgins, they are a very good rifles.

Let the Ruger pass you by.

Jimro

svenrh
July 4, 2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I believe I will let the Ruger go and keep what I have.
(Except I do keep having these recurring thoughts about selling both and getting a Kimber 84/8400-thoughts for another thread I guess)

101guns
July 4, 2007, 08:35 PM
or you could sell me the 257 and know that it went to a good home ...then take the cash and do anything you want with it

crowbeaner
July 4, 2007, 08:55 PM
Finding a nice .257 on the rack is NOT something you can do very often, so I"d keep it and the FN and let the Ruger go by. Save your money and look for a new Hawkeye when the time is right. By all accounts it seems to be a superior rifle to earlier Ruger models, especially with the new trigger.

davlandrum
July 5, 2007, 11:51 AM
Just sell me the .257 and that will solve your problem ;)

samsmix
July 6, 2007, 08:52 PM
WHOA THERE! Did somebody say .257?

In my severely biased opinion, you should call Dick Brown of Shepherd, MT for some of his high quality, affordable ammunition for your 722, and put that grand old rifle into use!

Viva la .257 Roberts!