PDA

View Full Version : boyd's stock

elkman06
July 2, 2007, 08:58 PM
I have been looking at a boyd's thumbhole stock for my Savage 110. That and a Timney trigger and it might just work out to be a better rifle for me. Cabelas sells the nutmeg laminate for a reasonable price. Does anyone have any experience with this stock?
elkman

onemsumba
July 3, 2007, 09:54 AM
i've been happy with my purchases from boyds.

you can buy directly from them and probably save a few bucks over cabella's price. just google boyds stocks

Abndoc
July 3, 2007, 06:31 PM
I'd like to tell you that I'm happy with my Boyds stock, but it's been 14 weeks since I ordered it and it's still not here.

Out of stock items are at least a 12 week wait and they are up front about this.

Sigh.

donkee
July 3, 2007, 07:33 PM
Waiting on 2 M1 Garand stock sets myself. It's terrible having 3 with stocks and 2 without....:(

jlmurphy
July 4, 2007, 10:23 AM
I have three Boyd's laminated stocks, great stocks, worth the money. My only problem was when I over tightened the rear action screw on a 98 Mauser and split the laminations. I would recommend installing pillars to prevent the same problem on the round bottomed Savage.

onemsumba
July 4, 2007, 11:03 AM
you can buy new wood for an M1 from the CMP, they are made by boyds as well but are slimmer from what I understand.

Desert01
July 5, 2007, 12:57 PM
I don't know much about the Boyd's but after about a month of research on a stock for my 110 I just bought a Stockade 4-6 weeks lead time:

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/images/stocks/tactical.jpg
http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks/pricing.html

You might be looking for this one:
http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/images/stocks/coyotestalker.jpg

auberg
July 5, 2007, 05:59 PM
I waited over 90 days for a set of Garand stocks. I was told at the time of order it would take 8 weeks. I had no problem with it. When 90 days passed, I got a letter from them saying it would be another month. I chose to cancel my order from Boyds, and bought a set from Wenigs. They were here the same week.

Just my 2 cents.

elkman06
July 17, 2007, 11:52 PM
having received the new Boyd's lam stock, a couple things hit me.
1: truly is drop in, I guess I could be shooting tommorrow.
2: Will definitely end up floating the barrel, much too tight.

For those that have worked/reworked Savage 110's, heres my plan,,correct or add wisdom as necessary.
I will float the barrel
I will bed the recoil lug.
I may muzzle brake it..maybe...It's a hunting rifle, not a bench queen.

Any other things I should look at from the Sav gurus out there?
elkman

Desert01
July 18, 2007, 05:14 AM
I would look closely at having the piller bedding refered to above. Stockade can also fit your brake, and has a preety quick turn around time.

jlmurphy
July 18, 2007, 05:27 PM
Don't relieve the barrel channel until you have finished the action bedding, the tight barrel will keep everything aligned while it sets, float the barrel last.

arizona hunter
July 22, 2007, 11:03 AM
I have a Howa 1500 with the Boyd Thumbhole laminated stock (salt/pepper color), I love it!

The rifle is a .204 Ruger so it is shot from a bench nearly all the time at prairie dogs or paper targets. The stock is incredibly comfortable-and beautiful.

I may get another .204 in the future (for my wife, of course) and I'll make sure it also has a thumbhole stock, it is that good.