PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 Trigger

smithandwesson460
July 2, 2007, 03:37 PM
looking to get a tirgger for my 10/22 any thoughts? my thought was a aftermarket off ebay!!

Yithian
July 2, 2007, 03:44 PM
Yep, gotta have one.
Unless you want a 10/22 club.

:D
Couldn't resist.

44 AMP
July 2, 2007, 04:17 PM
Replacement parts from Ruger would be my best bet, if your lost yours.;)

I lost my extractor (and plunger) once, many years ago, a case head ruptured and they got blown out into the field. Never did find them. Wrote a letter to Ruger explaining what happened, dropped a dollar in the envelope (parts were listed in owner's manual as $.50 each), and sent it off. About two weeks later I got a small package from Ruger with the extractor, plunger, and spring. Not bad considering first class mail in those days took average 5 days each way!

Now if you are looking for an after market trigger for your 10/22, sorry, I can't help you there. Both my guns are stock factory triggers, and I don't have any info about aftermarket triggers.

Would you be interested in the plastic furniture that makes the 10/22 look like a WWII German machinegun? I have one of those I might part with.

blume357
July 2, 2007, 04:33 PM
I put a Voltsg (sp?) hammer, sear & spring on mine and it was a great improvement I think the cost was around $80 and there is a 'disipline' and secret to getting the shims in line with the other parts.

firestorm9mm
July 2, 2007, 07:55 PM
if you are looking for a surperb trigger timmeny is the way to go!! Its gonna set you back a couple hundred though.

PisnNapalm
July 2, 2007, 08:05 PM
I put in a VQ target hammer myself. It dropped my trigger pull from about 8 pounds to a tad over 2 pounds. Not bad for $34...

Rimfiresports.com has free and very quick shipping too.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC10TH&Category_Code=R1A

railroader
July 2, 2007, 11:25 PM
I'll second the VQ hammer. That alone will make a night and day differance in the trigger pull on your rifle. You can get them here and they also sell pwer custom hammers for a little less with free shipping. http://www.hawktecharms.com/ruger/10-22.htm Mark

Mr Beta
July 2, 2007, 11:34 PM
There's always the KIDD

Martyn4802
July 3, 2007, 06:11 AM
The most cost effective "fix" for improving the 10-22 trigger is a simple hammer change. That will give you a 2 1/2 pound pull, plus or minus a few ounces. I use Power Custom hammers in mine.
But, I do have two KIDD triggers in a couple of 10-22's that are far and away the best triggers going for that rifle. You can get them adjusted to about a 7 ounce pull. They are a different design concept than the Ruger factory trigger, which allows for the lighter pull weight. The lowest safe pull weight for the factory design trigger is 2 1/4 pounds.

Martyn

rgitzlaff
July 3, 2007, 07:12 AM
If you are a do-it-yourselfer, as I am. You can do a nearly first class trigger job yourself. If you are interested in that, you can look it up at rimfirecentral.com or message me and I can explain it to you. It does take some time and effort though, as well as tools.

Dave Haven
July 3, 2007, 10:12 PM
If you are a do-it-yourselfer, as I am. You can do a nearly first class trigger job yourself.I resemble that remark.:)
I purchased a used 10/22 about 25 years ago. To be exact, I purchased it on 10/22/1982 - strange coincidence...
Within a few hours, I had the trigger pull at a consistent 3#.

piercfh
July 3, 2007, 10:53 PM
The hammers were on sale at midway when I bought mine maybe 30 bucks even. That and an extractor are the best things you can do for a 10/22 for under 50 bucks. I really like the trigger and Im guessing its around 2lbs. I shoot 2 savage accu-trigger's, a timney, and other modified stock triggers. The vq hammer mod feels awesome good.

smithandwesson460
July 6, 2007, 09:13 PM
thanks guys!!!!! I went with the vq traget hammer. but when the hammer came in i tried to put it in what a pain in the a**. still cant get the thing back togather.

Yithian
July 7, 2007, 03:14 AM
NOT an easy task.
Requires patience and four hands with fingers as wide as a grass blade.

Least, thats the way it seems. :)

Its not the best drawing in the world but its way better than nothing.
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/1720/trgroup.jpg

Hope it helps.

Martyn4802
July 7, 2007, 07:06 AM
Smith&Wesson,
At what point are you hung up?

Martyn

BudsGunShop
July 7, 2007, 12:33 PM
If you are on a budget, just put a VQ trugger kit in it.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend the VQ Trigger group.

I have a VQ Trigger Guard 2000 in my 10-22 and it's amazing.

In conjunction with a nice barrel, you have all the accuracy you will ever need (unless you are into serious competition).

I use the carbon fiber VQ "tension" barrel and love it.

Crosshair
July 7, 2007, 11:21 PM
I started with a new hammer and that made a large difference. A trigger with overtravel adjustment is a nice addition that makes rapid fire easier and more fun.:D

smithandwesson460
July 8, 2007, 11:24 AM
that i am going to take it to a gunsmith and pay them to show me how to put it togather. it is not easy thing to do i will say that!!!!

farmall
July 8, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'm also a big fan of the VQ hammer and bolt catch kit from Midway. It dropped my trigger to 2# with the stock Ruger hammer spring. I don't see what everyone is complaining about the installation for. Had mine in in half an hour, shims and all...no problems, but I agree that the diagram included could use some instructions. I'd have been in trouble if I'd left it apart for a few days.
Andy

BlkHawk73
July 8, 2007, 04:37 PM
I've tried quite a few of the differnt drop-in parts. To me, one is betetr of either buying a completely new top-shelf trigger (Jard or Kidd) or sending the factory asembly out to have it reworked. For the later, the best I and many at Rimfire Central have found is TT Shooter. For a little more than a good DIY kit, he'll rework the trigger into a much better one and actually better than any DIY kits I've tried.
Volquartsen is there too with their complete assemblies but i never cared for them as I do the others. I'd even take a TT rework over the Vol TG2000.

crapshoot
July 11, 2007, 09:42 PM
GO TO RimfireCentral.com! The biggest and BEST 10/22 website in the universe! The nicest and most knowledgeable people belong there and will help you with ANY problem you could think of that pertains to Ruger 10/22.
In my opinion, there is no better place to go for the information you are needing.

( no, I am not a paid spokesman, just a very very happy member )

Martyn4802
July 12, 2007, 05:24 AM
+1 on Rimfirecentral.com
I spent a couple of years there learing the ins and out regarding 10-22's.
The guy running that site is a good guy.
I got to the point where I grind my own hammers now, and polish all the mating surfaces of the trigger group for a good trigger pull. Some of the guys there drill and tap the sear for a small set screw that eliminates overtravel, but I haven't done that yet. That's a good idea.
Several guys there were of good help, including Picher who posts here, and two other guys from Oklahoma City, Sawdust and Squasach. You can do a search over there for their posts as they helped me a lot.

Martyn

blume357
July 12, 2007, 06:51 AM
was using a punch or pin just slightly smaller than the one(s) you knocked out... put it together using those.... without the shims (washers) then as you push the holding (original) pin back in slide the washers / spacers down and line up and let the holding pin slide on through...pushing the smaller punch pin on out.... it takes some work and pratice to get it right.

USMCG_HMX1
July 12, 2007, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure anyone has noticed it, but in the lower left corner of that picture the trigger appears to be backwards.

Kris

MacGille
July 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
Get a marlin and all of your problems vanish.:)

kymasabe
July 13, 2007, 05:54 PM
I put a PowerCUstom hammer in my 10/22. No fancy shims or springs, was very simple, and dropped trigger pull from around 8 lbs to just about 3lbs. I'd also recommend a bolt buffer and an extended mag release while you're at it. All can be had for less than $40.