PDA

View Full Version : My Marlin 60 is fun :-)

w_houle
July 1, 2007, 06:03 PM
Just recently acquired a marlin model 60 and shot a 3 in. hole in a tree from twenty yards away, only had 5 bad rounds, two jammed in the action and one stovepipe, and the rest just failed to go bang. Out of 550 rounds that's not bad. Mental note when people say not to take apart the trigger assembly group... aaah who am I to listen it only took me a half an hour to figure out how it went back together again:barf: above all though a real fun rifle

Dave R
July 1, 2007, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the Model 60 Club!

Yup, its a fun rifle. Quite accurate,too, in my experience.

And you disassembled the trigger group and put it back together? Wow. That should rate you as an honorary gunsmith or something.

w_houle
July 1, 2007, 06:34 PM
I tried to google some instructions on it but no-one had any useful information on it exept don't. I swear though I am glad I have a strong magnet to pick up parts when I tear stuff apart, bits flew everywhere:eek:

revjen45
July 1, 2007, 07:29 PM
It is also known as the Mexican assault rifle. This is not an insult. The Mexicans are very practical people. They know what works and what doesn't; what's worth what it costs and isn't. From many moons ago I recall an instance in which a Chicano (that's Mexican-American) handily dispatched 3 attackers who shot his pregnant wife in their own home. The one who did the shooting was leading the troops and caught the most bullets. He dropped on the spot. The other two did the cartoon thing, i.e. wrinkled up the ground behind their feet on the way out. The luckiest one almost made it to the street. The other one got about halfway across the yard. 2 out of 3 died. That's pretty good shootin' with a .22. He, his wife, and the unborn baby lived due to his trusty M60. One of my friends shot my bedroom window out with a M60 because the last round didn't feed until that last time he cycled the bolt. Other than that it was a great rifle.

ragwd
July 1, 2007, 07:57 PM
model 60, love mine....bought it used and it would not fire but after taking apart i found a broken buffer and some missing spring clips....took a month or so to get the parts and i had no idea how mine went back together. took about 4 or 5 tries over 6 or 8 hours, so i dont guess i get my honorary gun smithing degree :D:D but i get hours of cheap thrills with it

chris in va
July 2, 2007, 12:23 AM
I wanted to like the gun, all mine did was jam after about 30 rounds.

Neat tube feed though, and I actually did the arrow shaft speed loader thing.

crowbeaner
July 2, 2007, 06:12 PM
Mine shoots great now; I had to "customize' the ejector spring a little to stop the jams- the spent shell kept staying with the bolt tying up the next round. After a couple hours dry cycling the bolt by hand, and some good old #2 pencil lead it has a much smoother cycle too. We had it out Sat. and shot 4 full magazines full and the only jam was the first round. Nary a bobble after that. Problem solved for now. This one doesn't seem quite as accurate as the old one I had, but it put 3 shots in half an inch at 50 yds. with WW Powerpoints. That is after 30 rounds to foul the barrel and function check. Still is nice not to have to cycle the bolt like my old Scoremaster though.

Ham
July 2, 2007, 06:31 PM
I agree that you can not beat a marlin 60 for money's worth. Mine is accurate and never had a jam. It does not mined that I take it apart for cleaning every 2 to 3 thousand rounds.:rolleyes: It just keep making holes where I point it.

StuntManMike
July 2, 2007, 08:18 PM
My 60SB is much more reliable than my 10/22 was. It does not jam, and it is easy to reassemble relative to the 10/22.

45Marlin carbine
July 2, 2007, 08:32 PM
I had one I got in a trade. Little used and in need of a cleaning/lubing. This was when I had 9 different .22 rifles. Shot great. I sold it to my nephew who checked everything out, trigger job, 4X scope, reloading tubes. Now he practices offhand on walnuts at 50 yds and don't miss. "I pity the fool" he has in the crosshair.

Wrascal
July 2, 2007, 08:54 PM
I've had mine for about a month now. Shot only one box of (550) Remington Golden Bullets. I had perhaps 10 stove-pipes. I feed it with a Spee-D loader.

I also put a Nikon ProStaff 3-7X32 scope on it.

This thing is quiet! Its also much cheaper to shoot than the Marlin 30-30 lever.

Yellowfin
August 21, 2007, 08:07 PM
Had mine for a few weeks and my lady, my brother, and I all love it! It's the perfect little pet fun gun. I'm struggling with one thing on disassembling it though: how the heck do I get that pin in the back to let go??:confused: I want to clean the action but it's simply not letting me get it. Any advice?

firechicken
August 21, 2007, 08:19 PM
I've had mine for quite a few years. Sat in the safe untouched a lot until recently. I put a 4 X 32 scope on it, now I have renewed interest in it. Last time at the range, I zero'd it at 50 yds then started plinking at the 100 yrd 10" gong. I found that if I aimed at the top of it, i could hit it (almost) every time from the bench. When the light was right, I could see the bullets just before they smacked the steel!:D