PDA

View Full Version : to paint or not to paint

devil-dog
July 1, 2007, 05:32 PM
hello
I have a Savage 22WMR, blued/synthetic stock that use for general critter killing.
I am debating painting this thing up, can anyone give me some suggestions on paint, application, and just plain if I should do it or not...

Thanks

w_houle
July 1, 2007, 06:41 PM
Can you post some pics so we can see how bad off it is?

45reloader
July 1, 2007, 06:43 PM
Would you rather change the stock to a nice wood stock?

What are your long term plans for the rifle?

devil-dog
July 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
well... the rifle itself is brand new.
I intend to mainly use it for a varmit rifle. My reasons behind paint would be for camo and concealment... and of course the "good looks"... ha ha

I can post up some pics, but like I said.. it's pretty much new. However there is one small nick on the barrel, and I touched it up with a birchwood casey blue pen. Clamp on bipod was the culprit....

revjen45
July 1, 2007, 07:15 PM
Paint it camo.

devil-dog
July 1, 2007, 07:19 PM
ok guys... give me some ideas here......
type of paint? application tips?

w_houle
July 1, 2007, 07:51 PM
You could always have that realtree stuff put on to it:p

PTR 91
July 1, 2007, 08:01 PM
Well if you could get a wood stock then you could just stain it the color you want. If you want to keep the synthetic stock then you could take the stock off and spray paint it the color you want.

Jimro
July 1, 2007, 08:35 PM
You can use Krylon rattle cans, sand and olive drab work pretty good for most environments.

Jimro

Bigfatts
July 1, 2007, 10:28 PM
Dura Coat can de done extremely well in camo. Whatever you use should be a two part paint if you want durability. I was very unsatisfied with Krylon on a stock I painted. It scrathed and rubbed off easily. Any type of solvent or anything remotely acidic you get on it will eat right through it.

Manedwolf
July 1, 2007, 10:34 PM
Duracoat if you want it to look presentable. Krylon looks like hell on anything the moment you bang or scuff it against an object, unless you use hard engine enamel and bake it on.

TPAW
July 1, 2007, 10:35 PM
My reasons behind paint would be for camo and concealment... and of course the "good looks"... ha ha

Camo and concealment for critters is unnecessary. As for "good looks", that's a judgement call that only you can make. Keep in mind, once painted, it will be something that will require touch up or re-doing as it becomes distressed from normal use. I would just leave it alone. JMO

MacGille
July 1, 2007, 11:29 PM
I agree with TPaw, I painted the synthetic stock on my SKS after I mabe a new pistol grip for it. The new grip is wood and looks strange on the black stock, so I rattle canned it. I have to touch up the wood part almost every time I take it out because it gets nicked up so fast.:)

devil-dog
July 2, 2007, 08:22 AM
Roger that. Thanks for the info guys

Jseime
July 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
Given that savages arent really that pretty I'd paint the thing. I used krylon on my .22 and its not the best paint in the world but if you dont like what youve done just sand it down and paint it again or if it wears off you can change your camo pattern cheaply and easily.