PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M-77 .243 help!

pjn003
July 1, 2007, 12:12 AM
Hey guys, i recently purchased a new ruger m-77 .243 caliber and i just took it out to the shooting range for the first time today. I was shooting remington express cartriges, and my gun was literally all over the place. The grouping was terrible, do you think that this may have something to do with my ammo? Anyone have any reccomendations?

Possibly, as this is my first time owning a new rifle, is there any process you have to do to break it in? I odviously cleaned the gun before shooting it, but anything besides that? I'm really dissaspointed in this guns preformance.

Thanks

Scorch
July 1, 2007, 12:25 AM
First, get a good screwdriver set, loosen the guard screws on the rifle, put the rifle with the buttstock on a solid surface, and retighten the front guard screw tight, then the middle and rear screws snug. Tighten the scope ring screws tight, both the screws that hold the rings to the receiver, and the screws that hold the scope in place. Next, clean the rifle really well, using a bronze bore brush and solvent, then punch the bore with a patch on a jag. Take the rifle back to the range and fire a group from a bench and measure the groups center to center. Most factory rifles will shoot beter when they are clean and everything is tight.

pjn003
July 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
anything about the type of ammo?

intruder
July 1, 2007, 01:22 AM
Are your scope mounts tight ? Did you degrease them before putting the scope on? Did you clean the rifle before firing it? If you check all these things try a different brand of ammo.

Fremmer
July 1, 2007, 01:28 AM
Start with making sure the scope is right. Then try a couple of different brands of ammo and see how it shoots with that.

mathman
July 1, 2007, 10:47 AM
I had a Ruger M77 in 308 and it had the exact same problem...so I got rid of it and bought a Remington and never looked back. That was the best thing to do for me.

Texas_XD
July 1, 2007, 11:07 AM
I'd check the ammo myself. I have 3 Ruger's and not a one of them like Rem Express ammo. Try some Hornady and Federal.. different weights of course. As it's your 1st new rifle, did you mount the scope yourself or did the shop? I had a friend who mounted his own scope for the 1st time and had issues like yours. Turned out he had tighten the ring screws unevenly. On the left side, he had the screws fully tighten then tighten the righties, put uneven pressure on the scope tube. (He had a 3/32 gap difference in the rings)
The other suggestions are all good too, I'd add looking at the barrel channel, exspecially if its a wood stock version. Look for wood burrs and uneven contact points. Some Rugers benefit from being free floated from the recoil lug forward.

pjn003
July 1, 2007, 12:56 PM
thanks for the help, guys... ya, i had the scope mounted at dicks sporting goods but the guy seemed pretty knowledgeable about the whole process

454c
July 1, 2007, 01:16 PM
Will the rifle not group or will it not zero in like you want it to ?
How many shots per group did you fire ?

fisherman66
July 1, 2007, 01:18 PM
Are you letting the barrel cool in between shots? Are the first two shots close and the third opening up the group, or is it very random?

pjn003
July 1, 2007, 02:45 PM
the rifle wont group, and the all of the shots are equally random (not just the third, for example)

fisherman66
July 1, 2007, 03:14 PM
I'd try a new scope. You can pick up a used fix power El Paso Weaver for cheap off ebay. They take a lot of abuse. If you confirm it's the scope you can get exactly the scope you want, or use the weaver. If that does not fix the problem I'd send it back to Ruger to make right.

TexasFats
July 3, 2007, 03:57 PM
It could be any one of the things that have been mentioned. Some Rugers come from the factory with the bedding screws all wrong. On my .270 M77 Hawkeye, the front screw was too tight by far. Try torquing the front bedding screw to about 60-65 inch-pounds. And, every rifle will be different in what exact torque it wants. The back screw should be less tight, and the screw in the middle should, as somebody else mentioned, be just tight enought to keep from working out.

Next, make sure that you are using good ammo. Cheap ammo can be inconsistent enough to cause problems. Also, fire one "fouling shot" before you start firing groups. Sometimes a barrel will shoot to slightly different point of aim if it is clean, compared to having been fired once. Then, be sure to allow enough time between shots, with the action open to promote cooling, to allow the barrel to be cool for each shot. Finally, sometimes, a barrel can be very picky about what kind of ammo you shoot. It might be all over the place with a 130 gr. bullet but sub-minute of angle with 140 or 150 grain bullets. Or, it might be picky about the brand of ammo. I have known of rifles that couldn't hit the proverbial bull in the butt with RP, but were spot on with WW, or some other brand. Or visa versa; it might not be accurate with Winchester, but deadly accurate with Remington or Federal. Every rifle and every barrel is individual due to manufacturing tolerances, differences in stock wood, bedding, etc. That is part of what makes this stuff so interesting.

dbgun
July 3, 2007, 04:29 PM
Are your scope mounts tight ? Did you degrease them before putting the scope on? Did you clean the rifle before firing it? If you check all these things try a different brand of ammo.

Same thing happened to me with a Winchester 94 (30-30).
I was all over the place. It turned out to be the screws on the scope rings. I know I had tightened them down the week before. But they must have had oil or grease on them. After cleaning the screws I applied some Loctite 242, which helped out a lot. Just my 2 cents.

Art Eatman
July 4, 2007, 11:41 AM
Another factor might be barrel twist rate and bullet weight. My .243's twist is on the slow side; 70- and 85-grain bullets group tightly, but 100-grain bullets do not.

Art

New_Pollution1086
July 5, 2007, 02:01 AM
my buddy has the same gun, hes upgraded the stock and reloads his own ammo but that thing is always right on. id check the sighting on the scope and try different ammo and fidget with the scope to get it where u like it. ;)

bcarver
July 5, 2007, 02:36 AM
the most likely culprit is scope but...

remove the rifle and see how the bolts slide through the stock.
They should almost fall out. if they are tight take a rat tail file to the holes or a dowel rod with sand paper.