PDA

View Full Version : This is yet another "help me decide" thread; i wouldn't click if i were you

Tarwater
June 7, 2007, 09:11 AM
My birthday is coming up, I've got some extra money, and I want to get myself a present. I'm currently torn between two rifles that are in no way similar: A supposedly new-in-box Mosin M44 carbine ($100ish?) or a Ruger PC9 ($350 with some hicaps thrown in).

I have a couple of 9mm pistols, so I thought it would be nice to have a carbine that shares ammo; on the other hand, my only rifle is an AR-15 and it would also be nice having something in a caliber I would be comfortable taking deer with.

Whatever I decide on will probably end up getting used as a "trunk gun" as well.

I'm leaning toward the Mosin because it's so dang cheap, but what about the ammo? Is it expensive or hard to find? Would Walmart have it, for instance? What's the price like compared to something similar like .308?

So what would you guys do?

FirstFreedom
June 7, 2007, 09:19 AM
Mosin, definitely. Ammo is not all that hard to find - 7.63x54 Russian can be found most anywhere, and on the cheaper side of things. Buy a slip on rubber recoil pad while you're at it. :)

RedneckFur
June 7, 2007, 09:25 AM
Get the mosin, even if its only for the sound. It will turn heads at the range, trust me :)
7.62x54R ammo is pretty powerful stuff, I think it compares well to the 30-06, and might be slightly more powerful. You can buy commercial wolf brand for about $9.00 per box of 20, last time i checked, and a 400 round case of surpluss goes for around $80. The supluss I've shot has been pretty good stuff, and ive got some decent groupings with it. It is corosive though, so you'll be cleaning the rifle with soapy water and windex to remove the salt. The corosive surpluss makes a huge fireball and has lots of muzzle blast. Perfect for shooting beside one of those "mall ninga's and range rambo's"

The surpluss is all FMJ that i've seen, and I've shot only the newer (1970's) light ball. Wolf makes some 200grain soft points, should you want to try hunting with it.

To see how it compares to the AR and the AK, look here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

2rugers
June 7, 2007, 09:39 AM
Well I will buck trend here and say get the PC9.

Especially if you can get it for $350.00.

Remember , they don't make them anymore and they are selling for over $400 on Gunbroker WHEN they are available at all.

I have been looking at one in .40 S&W myself.

2rugers
June 7, 2007, 09:42 AM
A good compromise between the two would be a Marlin Or Win. lever in 30-30.

These can be had all over Gunbroker in like new cond. for $200.00 to $225.00.

skinnyguy
June 7, 2007, 10:01 AM
I just picked up a PC9 to go with my P89, same mags, same ammo, and just what I was looking for in SHTF scene. I do have to say that it's a little heavier than I expected for a short carbine, but it isn't TOO heavy.

I paid $500 for mine with a Redfield 6x scope, it was well worth it, and I'd do it again, but that's just me. I have no experience with a Mosin, so I can't offer a comparison.

YMMV and good luck on your choice.

azredhawk44
June 7, 2007, 02:43 PM
I'd go with the mosin and a couple hundred dollars worth of ammo.

Get your M44, leave the bayonet on it so you don't negatively affect accuracy, and a couple thousand rounds of surplus 7.62x54R. Also, drop another $50-$75 on 100 rounds of new softpoint hunting ammo that is boxer primed so you can reload these.

Graf's has reasonably priced brass if you want to roll yer own from the ground up, too.

The mosin will probably be cheaper to shoot than a 9mm Ruger carbine, given the current price of 7.62x54R surplus ammo. You won't go through more than 2000 rounds in it, I don't think. I bought about 600 rounds of surplus and 200 rounds of boxer-primed hunting ammo back in January of this year... I still have about 500-550 rounds surplus and 180 rounds of commercial ammo. I've been to the range with my 91/30 3 times.

My 91/30 is my backup hunting rifle in case something happens to my .308.

Sgt.Fathead
June 8, 2007, 01:41 AM
2rugers, the .40 is on sale at Bud's for $399.99

K20350
June 8, 2007, 03:15 AM
I had some extra time the other day and went to gander mountain. They have the Mosins for $99 or $110 for select. I cant believe anything that bullets actually come out of is less than 100 bucks LOL.

Tarwater
June 8, 2007, 10:18 AM
A good compromise between the two would be a Marlin Or Win. lever in 30-30.

These can be had all of Gunbroker in like new cond. for $200.00 to $225.00.

Actually, that's a really good idea and I hadn't considered a .30-30 before now. I went on a pilgrimage to a local shop yesterday and handled one of the Marlins. It felt great in my hands and would be pretty much perfect for the things I mentioned in my first post. I think I might end up with one of those.

I really appreciate y'all's advice. Man, after looking at that lever gun yesterday I kind of wish I had a revolver too. This coming from a guy that doesn't really own anything that isn't black and plastic. What the heck is wrong with me!?

Cyrgelman
June 8, 2007, 11:01 AM
Both.

At around $100, the Mosin is feasible on even my government retiree's budget!

2rugers
June 8, 2007, 12:20 PM
Try that Marlin Tarwater and you will be glad you made the choice.

I tell you their actions are easily made mud slick, the new Leverevolution round has proven itself by my wife to be very accurate
and an absolute hammer on the buck she dropped in December at a lasered distance of 228 yds.

Try Gunbroker, you will easily score a like new one for under $250.00.

Sgt. Fathead, I have a used .40 on my watch list right now for $275.00,
ooops, did I just spill the beans on that bargain.:o

pesta2
June 8, 2007, 01:01 PM
Mosin is spelled F.U.N:D

BusGunner007
June 8, 2007, 01:03 PM
--- everyDAY is my Birthday...Happy Birthday to ME-eeeee!!!" :D

That's right, folks, EVERY day is MY Birthday, so when I want or need a gun, well, I just sing the Happy Birthday song!!!

Boy, did that used to piss off my EX-Wife! ;)

OK, seriously now.
I'd opt for the RUGER PC9 now, and save up change and whatever for the Mosin.
That Ruger Carbine would be a pretty cool gun to own and use, and you still get to look forward to your next birthday, which can be whenEVER you want it to be!
Thinking ahead, you're making a great choice. Later, if you don't get the Ruger, you'll only have remorse...and a cheap Russian rifle.
:)

The Deer Hunter
June 8, 2007, 04:37 PM
I had some extra time the other day and went to gander mountain. They have the Mosins for $99 or $110 for select. I cant believe anything that bullets actually come out of is less than 100 bucks LOL.

:mad:

They are cheap because they were mass produced by the Russian, and several other Eastern Bloc countries.

They are great rifles.

RedneckFur
June 8, 2007, 05:09 PM
They are cheap because they were mass produced by the Russian, and several other Eastern Bloc countries.

They are great rifles.

That's very true. They may not be the most beautiful rifles ever made, or the best finished, but they do their job, and do it well. The mosin nagant has been in service for over 100 years.

Price can be deceptive, at times. If many foreign military rifles, like the mauser, enfield, mosin nagant, and the K31 were made in America today, you'd se much higher prices. Just because its not the newest AR-15 or Garant does not mean its a bad gun.

springmom
June 8, 2007, 05:31 PM

Hee hee, I picked up one of those last weekend, a 91/30. Have been way too busy this week to do cosmoline removal :barf: but that's on my to-do list for next week. That and looking for a REALLY good recoil pad :D

Springmom

Yithian
June 8, 2007, 06:19 PM
Walmart can special order the ammo for the M44 but it wont be cheap.

I'm not a fan of the carbine Ruger. They are fun tho, I played with one way back when, in a .45ACP. Called it "Bowling for bottles." They just don't have any range.

The M44 was great fun too with hand-load ballistic tips. Watermelon rain. It's just a little harder to find inexpensive ammo.

For around $350 or less, a better deer rifle would be a Mossberg ATR. ($260 at Walmart - I hate the safety switch) or a Savage ($365 at Walmart with a toss on scope and accutrigger). Federal 30-06 ammo at Walmart is less than $12 bucks for twenty.