PDA

View Full Version : .308 Mauser?

kymasabe
June 6, 2007, 09:35 PM
Was at the local dealer today and they had an Israeli Mauser, made by FN, chambered in .308.
I've never heard of anything like that before, looked like the German K98 Mauser except for a hood over the front sight. Has anyone ever seen this before? Any good? Collectable? Will it shoot current production commercial .308 ammo? (Is stamped 7.62 on top of receiver). They're asking $219 for the gun but it looks pretty beat up, dark wood, dark metal.

FirstFreedom
June 6, 2007, 10:19 PM
No, do not shoot .308 win. Shoot only the lower-pressure 7.62x51mm NATO if you want to err on the safe side - though in all likelihood, .308 would be fine if the headspace is fine.

Yes, there were mausers made in all manner of caliber, including 7.62x51, .30-'06, 7x57, 8x57, 6.5x55, and quite a few others too, esp. the older mausers.

Jim Watson
June 6, 2007, 10:21 PM
In 1948 the young state of Israel armed with 8mm Mausers and machine guns. Some taken from the losing Germans, some new made. The one you see is likely a post war FN but might be a German occupation FN.
When they went to the FN-FAL in the late 1950s, they kept their Mausers as reserve and secondary rifles, but rebarrelled them to 7.62 NATO for ammunition commonality with the automatics.
When they went to 5.56 M16s and Galils, and bunches of Uzis, they dumped the bolt guns on the surplus market.

Collectable? Not by me, I don't care. It just sounds like well worn surplus.

Shootable? An internet expert will be along presently to tell you that .308 Winchester commercial ammunition in a 7.62 NATO rifle is the short route to perdition. (I don't think so, even though shooting small thin commercial brass in a roomy military chamber will not leave you in a good position for reloading.)

Radagast
June 6, 2007, 10:57 PM
I had one a number of years ago, mine was in very good condition, and had no issues with Australian ADI milsurp or Norinco .308. I also fired a limited number of palma match 155 grain loads that were still supersonic at 800 metres. It would group three shots into 1.5 inches at 50m if I could hold still, after that it began to string vertically as the barrel heated up. The magazine was blocked with a spacer for the shorter .308 rounds, this lead to feed problems if I worked the bolt hard. If operated gently it was fine.

The last time I fired it was with some ADI soft points. I fired one round and the gun literally jumped off my shoulder, smacking me in the face at the same time. I went back to the dealer who informed me that the rounds were surplus - from an aerial buffalo culling program, for use in gas regulated semi auto rifles shot out of a helicopter. The gun was apparently undamaged from firing what was basically a proof load. I tore my rotator cuff shortly afterwards and had to give up on shooting centrefire.

Short summary, it should be safe to shoot with commercial .308 ammo, it should be relatively accurate, assuming bore and crown are good. It may have feed issues. It's up to you wether you want it.

selector67
June 7, 2007, 10:42 AM
As said previously, as long as the bore and crown are good, it is a good buy. Mine is one of the most accurate mil-surps I own, if you like it, then by all means get it, its a fun gun to shoot. http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/selector67/100_1302.jpg http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/selector67/100_1323.jpg