PDA

View Full Version : Scope for a mini-14

glockman19
June 6, 2007, 07:57 PM
I want to scope my mini-14. any suggestions?

I have a Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 on my M1A, a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 on my Remington 700 for hunting medium & large game. and a Bushnell Tophy on my 10/22 for plinking.

What to put on my mini-14 for varmint hunting/plinking? I'm more interested in scope atributes, magnification/recticle than brand.

HuntAndFish
June 6, 2007, 11:09 PM
A cheap 4-9X32 bushnell or simmons is all you will need for a Mini. Way more than you will need because that gun shoots 2-3 MOA at 100 yds on its best days. I wouldn't be worried to much about the recticle either. Nothing fancy.

benEzra
June 7, 2007, 09:13 AM
It depends on how accurate your particular mini-14 is.

I gave up on scoping my 188-series Ranch Rifle after a 2.5x shotgun scope proved to be too much magnification (how do you sight something in properly when the rifle shoots 6 MOA from a rest and rear bag?) Forget the 3-9x I orginally put on it.

For an accurate mini, I'd say a 1.5-6x, a fixed 2.5x, or maybe a 4x fixed would be plenty.

JR47
June 7, 2007, 09:18 AM
I have an old Redfield 3-9x32 on my Mini-14 Ranch. It was available. The rifle will shoot 1-1 1/2 MOA for the first five shots with ammo it likes. I usually leave the scope on 4Xor 5X. The kids dial it up, and it saves ammo, as then they have to wait for the barrel to cool.

If you're buying, I'd recommend a quality 4X or 6X fixed scope. If you gat tired of the scoped rifle, it will be useful on a number of others in those powers.:)

Manedwolf
June 7, 2007, 09:27 AM
Probably just a cheap red dot or whatever's cheapest, yes, given that after a few shots, you're going to get patterns, not groups.

JR47
June 7, 2007, 03:23 PM
Even the patterns will still be on a B27 at 100 yds. The Mini-14 will pretty much always fire, too.

Plink
June 7, 2007, 03:47 PM
Whatever scope you choose, make sure it's a durable, recoil resistant one. Mini's are known to be scope eaters. The heavy bolt carrier slamming into the receiver generates a very sharp impulse that is harder on scopes than guns in harder kicking calibers. You can tone some of that down with a reduced gas orifice bushing.

FJR1300
June 7, 2007, 05:45 PM
I put an EOTech on mine and got a double bonus. The Amegaranges scout mount I mounted it on cut my groups in half. I think it's because it clamps the barrel as opposed to just clipping on like the stock handguard.

I also love the EOTech and think it is a perfect compliment to the Mini. The only downside may be the lack of magnification.

My $.02

Art Eatman
June 7, 2007, 10:48 PM
I always had really good performance from my Minis with a Weaver K4. It was rare that I ever had to shoot beyond 100 to 150 yards at jackrabbits or coyotes, so everything worked quite well.

Art

2rugers
June 8, 2007, 11:18 PM
What Plink and Art said.

Slammed the door coming inside a couple of hours ago and the mini that was standing up on the table being worked on fell off and hit the floor.

Last week I got my Weaver K-4B back from Frank Ruiz in El-Paso and the B-Square mount came in from Midway.

I put this all together over the weekend and was waiting for a spare minute to cut the barrel and drill the new hole for the flash hider.

Well, when I picked it up, the scope wobbles side to side not just front to back on the set screws like before.

The part that covers the bolt hold open cam on the mount was bent out toward the knurled screw knob.

5 mins. with a hammer and a hard surface and Voila, good as was.

The scope (which is the focus of all this blather) held together nicely.

No shimmey, shake, or rattle.

Old Weavers, what more can you say.

gr8gun
June 10, 2007, 05:33 PM
I had my Mini-14 "accurized" ( Great West Gunsmithing (http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/)), and I put a Burris 2-7x handgun scope forward mounted on an Ultimak rail ("scout scope" position). It makes the gun a little barrel heavy, but I really enjoy it anyway.