PDA

View Full Version : Neat AR setup...

rxraptor02
June 6, 2007, 03:48 PM
So I was at the range the other day. There was an older man two lanes down from me. he was seated at the line with a AR next to him. I did not pay close attention to what he was doing. I started shooting and I hear him shooting. Well it was a full auto AR. I have seen folks shooting full auto at this range. He would run a few long bursts then stop for a while and start again. Well I got up and peaked over at him. He had some kind of AR setup in .22 rimfire with a cloth belt feed system. It did not sound like he had any problems running through the belts. It just seemed that he spent most his time loading up the belts.

It was just something that I never seen before and thought I would share.

What would a setup like that cost? I know there are big prices for the paperwork and higher costs of full autos... but I guess that would even make .22 expensive to shoot.

RockyMtnTactical
June 6, 2007, 04:35 PM
Registered FA AR15's tend to be in the $15-20K range, IIRC.

VUPDblue
June 6, 2007, 04:39 PM
What you saw was likely a LM7 beltfed upper from Lakeside Machine. (http://www.lakesideguns.com/) Those are pretty cool. It is a micro-beltfed .22lr upper based on a scaled-down version of a Model 1919 action IIRC. Price on those is in the $3K to $4k range IIRC. One can purchase a registered M16 lower these days for as little as $14K:eek: the paperwork requires a $200 tax stamp for the machinegun receiver to be transfered. I would figure that the guy you saw had about $20K in that setup. Unless he was a SOT/FFL, then that is a different story:rolleyes:

rxraptor02
June 6, 2007, 05:25 PM
VUPD,

Thanks for that link. That could of been the setup. I have seen a few other guys shooting full auto. The range also has had open houses where you could rent full auto's. It is possible that this is the only range who allows full auto.(I don't know for sure) So it might just be a place where the full auto guys go time to time. what ever the costs they are sweet. I will just have to sit and watch.

VUPDblue
June 6, 2007, 06:25 PM
What range are you visiting, just out of curiosity? I don't make it up that way much, but I would if there was a really nice range...

rxraptor02
June 6, 2007, 07:10 PM
Nick,

The range is in Kokomo. It only has 6 lanes. Very little traffic on the range. The name is Roby's Bullseye outdoors. The two guys working to counter are cool.

buckster
June 7, 2007, 04:09 PM
They are pretty cool. A guy at our range had one last week. It worked great. Cheap shooting AR.