PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best rifle caliber and why?

Zor Omega
June 5, 2007, 12:41 AM
I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere to this effect but I have not seen it. In your opinion what is the best rifle caliber and why?

moose fat
June 5, 2007, 02:07 AM
Right now its the 303 Brit. because I'm working up loads for my two BSA No.4Mk1s.

roscoe
June 5, 2007, 02:16 AM
.22 Spitfire

ch47gunner
June 5, 2007, 02:33 AM
.308 - 'cause they can be loaded to 30-06 specs, huge choice of bullet weights and types, but mainly because they are a NATO round and there is surplus .308 ammo everywhere.
For plinking & generally messing up the country-side, I'm using a South African manufactured 147 grain FMJ. Reliable & fairly repeatable - will shoot 1"-2" @ 100yds. For long distance precision shooting you can roll your own or select some good stuff from many different manufacturers.

SteelCore
June 5, 2007, 02:40 AM
For a general-use cartridge, I'll go with the .308. It's powerful but not punishing to shoot, and it can be made to be very accurate. It's suitable for combat, target shooting out to 800 yards or even beyond, and hunting a good variety of game.

dirty habit
June 5, 2007, 02:41 AM
6.5x55!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cause its good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dionysusigma
June 5, 2007, 03:36 AM
Dirty habit has a point. :D 6.5x55 is the only caliber I can honestly say I've hit everything I was aiming at. 'Course, mighta been the gun...

I like 7.92x57mm. Powerful, cheap, accurate out of the right gun, been around for a while ;) , "rimless," and gives you a reason to clean.

tuck2
June 5, 2007, 04:20 AM
The 22LR, bullet diameter .223 inches can be found any were in the world. A person can feed himself with very little ammo cost , carry a lot of rounds and has very little muzzle blast. For elk hunting 340 Weatherby, deer and pronghorn 270 Win, coyotes 220 Swift, prairie dogs 204 Ruger and for fun the new 17 Fireball and old 22 LR.

WeedWacker
June 5, 2007, 04:58 AM
Tough choice. Depends on what I want to do with the rifle. If I want a HD/hunting i'd go for .223, for hunting in general a .308 or .30-06 - not picky.

CWL
June 5, 2007, 05:29 AM
No such thing as "Best".

Depends on the specific application. Different rounds for different needs.

Ratsrepus
June 5, 2007, 06:28 AM
Agreed - no best round. 270 Winchester is my favorite followerd by 338 Winchester Magnum.

TPAW
June 5, 2007, 06:56 AM
For overall use, I'd have to say the 30.06. Over the counter, it is the most versitile cartridge out there. Bullet grains from 110 to 220 are available just about anywhere, so there's no need for reloading if you don't want to get into it, and it will kill anything that walks or crawls in North America.

Tamara
June 5, 2007, 06:57 AM
.585 Nyati. Because it's fun to say "Nyati".

Incidentally, a sand wedge is the best golf club, because it looks cool.

WeedWacker
June 5, 2007, 08:06 AM
It's also fun to say Mechem NTW 20 :D

But I think the point of this thread is really preferred caliber not just "best"

Edit: Here's the Mechem NTW 20

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/NTW20mm.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/38/Ntw-20.jpg/180px-Ntw-20.jpg

I think they make a 25 mm version of it besides 12.7 mm

How's THAT for an EBR :D

Art Eatman
June 5, 2007, 09:04 AM
There is no such thing as any "best" caliber, overall. For any particular use, one can choose among several calibers and cartridges, but even there "best" is purely an individual opinion.

For learning how to shoot and with least expense, the .22 rimfire is certainly as good as any and better than most.

For shooting small varmints, there are several in the .17 rimfire through .22 centerfire which will work quite well, although the centerfires can be more effective at longer distances. Again, individual circumstance.

And on and on, depending on one's particular plan of use.

Art

john in jax
June 5, 2007, 09:45 AM
.308 is the best "all-around" cartridge out there. Remember the story of Goldylocks and the 3 bears? Well the .308 isn't too small or too big, it isn't too cold or too hot, it is JUST RIGHT.

It is big enough too hunt/take any game in the lower 48 but the recoil of most .308 rifle platforms is light enough so you can enjoy shooting it. Whatever parameter you apply:
ammo cost/availability
bullet type(s)
recoil
rifle cost
action type / rifle size
etc...
You will find it is . . . JUST RIGHT!

fisherman66
June 5, 2007, 09:46 AM
22 long rifle

Picher
June 5, 2007, 09:48 AM
Glad that CWL said it. I agree, different rounds for different uses.

If you can't make up your mind, get a 30/06 and a .22 LR. At least when you make up your mind as to what you really need, you can sell or trade the '06. Somebody will want it.

Keep the .22LR. It's the best thing to learn on, to practice with, and to enjoy plinking with. How else can most of us afford the cost or time needed to shoot 500 rounds in a day? (No reloading or worry much about spent brass.)

Picher

leadslinger07
June 5, 2007, 11:00 AM
Depends on whether we are talking about military or hunting. For military 308 becuase the round can be used effectively at anywhere from 10 yards to 1000 yards with the proper rifle, skilled shooter, good optics(when necessary), good quality ammo, and also consedring that rifle is properly cleanded and cared for under the conditions that the solider is in. For hunting I would say the best rifle cartridge for North Amercian Big game hunting woluld be the 7mm Remington magnum. I like this cartridge becuase it can be used on almost any big game animal form deer to Elk and in between. This also a very flat shooting rifle cartdridge that can be shot accurately at the same long range distances that 300 magnums are capable of without the severe reciol. This contributes to a more controllable rifle allowing the shooter to achieve tighter target groups.

leadslinger07
June 5, 2007, 11:06 AM
Depends on whether we are talking about military or hunting. For military 308 becuase the round can be used effectively at anywhere from 10 yards to 1000 yards with the proper rifle, skilled shooter, good optics(when necessary), good quality ammo, and also consedring that rifle is properly cleanded cared for under the conditions that the solider is in. For hunting I would say the best rifle cartridge for North Amercian Big game hunting woluld be the 7mm Remington magnum. I like this cartridge becuase it can be used on almost any big game animal form deer to Elk and in between. This also a very flat shooting rifle cartdridge that can be shot accurately at the same long range distances that 300 magnums are capable of without the severe reciol. This contributes to a more controllable rifle allowing the shooter to achieve tighter target groups.

Nevertoomanyguns
June 5, 2007, 11:15 AM
Right now for me its the .270 win. shot my big 213 lbs buck last fall at about 100-120 yards. Dropped it in its tracks didn't even twitch. Buddy of mine shot an 850 pound cow moose with one a few years back with the same result. Both were shot with 130 gr. bullets. Just love that caliber, it will handle anything in Maine.

essexcounty
June 5, 2007, 02:26 PM
.41 Itialian rim fire. It will do it all. Essex

BUSTER51
June 5, 2007, 04:08 PM
while were at it ,I'm looking for the perfect womem.is there such a thing?:D

Zor Omega
June 5, 2007, 11:02 PM
yes as weedwacker pointed out "in your opinion" what is the best. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts about personal choices.

Picher
June 6, 2007, 05:51 AM
Zor Omega: You didn't ask what our favorite cartridges are, just what the best was.

My favorite cartridges, depending on use are:

1. Plinking, target shooting, pest control: .22LR, .223 Rem

2. Longer Range Varmint hunting: .22-250

3. Deer, coyote, and other mid-sized game close up or up to 500 yards: .270 Win. and handloads

4. Heavy game: If drawn for moose, maybe a good excuse to buy an '06 or something larger, but the .270 Win would do the job adequately.

5. Upland bird hunting: 12 or 20 gauge, in either an O/U or Semi-Auto.

Handguns: Too many choices, but .22LR and .38/.357 mag have been my favorites over the years. I don't hunt with handguns. A rifle or shotgun are so much more effective over various distances/situations.

Picher

Smitty in CT
June 6, 2007, 08:16 AM
Currently it is the .25-06, because that's the next caliber that will be going into my safe....

Then, after the wife calms down from yet another new gun, the best caliber will be......hmmmm so many choices...and only so much room in the gun safe.

jhgreasemonkey
June 6, 2007, 10:00 AM
Depends on application but my rifle I consider the most widely used is 30-06. Its acurate and very versitile. Ammo can be had very cheep and its available everywhere in the US.

Red Tornado
June 6, 2007, 10:06 AM
It's the .577 Tyrannosaur, because it's named after a dinosaur. How cool is that? "Good for everything on the planet for the past 130 million years!!!" Headshots only on rabbits and squirrels, and hard cast loads for the tyrant lizard himself. ;)

Or .22 long rifle, one or the other.
RT

srtrax
June 6, 2007, 10:12 AM
I'll have to go with the (turdy ot sex) as best, but right know i'm leaving things in the dust with my 338/06 ;).

Selfdfenz
June 6, 2007, 10:17 AM
Read the question.

In your opinion what is the best rifle caliber and why?

HAGD

S-

srtrax
June 6, 2007, 10:37 AM
SO SORRY I LEFT OUT WHY, BECAUSE i grew up with it, and its a fine round, its been proven over and over.

HavingAGD

mountainclmbr
June 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
50/70 my favorite varmit round.

Jseime
June 6, 2007, 01:32 PM
.270 Winchester rules the roost.

Fast, flat, hard hitting, 90-160 grain bullets p-dogs to Elk/Moose.

Ill never have a dedicated deer rifle in anything other than .270 Winchester. Between me and the people who have used my .270 there have been probably 10 deer killed with my .270 in the last couple years and it is a solid performer day in and day out.

Desert Heat
June 6, 2007, 01:33 PM
.223:)

FirstFreedom
June 6, 2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah, like everyone is saying, best for what? I could give you a 1,000 different answers for 1000 different scenarios. It all depends on what you're wanting to do with the rifle.

Hunting mice while preserving the meat to eat, hunting zebras from 600 yards, target shooting from prone at 200 yards, self-defense against pygmy tribes while backpacking in the Amazon basin, and SEAL missions underwater or on the moon. Pick any 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 10 uses from among those or thousands upon thousands of others you can think of.

What are YOU going to want to do with it? Specifically? I can tell you my opinion, as to what is BEST, and gladly will do so. But I have MANY bests - best for WHAT? Are you asking if I could only have ONE rifle caliber? If so, say that. But also say, for what - hunting only, hunting and self-defense or militia use, or self-defense/militia use only? Does hunting include varminting for extermination only? What about small game for food? Does it include a possible Africa trip? Canada/Alaska trip(s)? Does it include or exclude rimfire calibers?

Art Eatman
June 6, 2007, 01:54 PM
Since this has degenrated into "What I like", I suggest the threead be restarted around the idea of better cartridtges for different purposes. I have great difficulty in believing that any one is actually "best" in any category...

Art