PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Rifles - .308 Caliber

gunnie12
June 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
What are good and what to stay away from?

glockman19
June 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
M1A platform & Remington 700 Platform.

Limeyfellow
June 4, 2007, 11:10 PM
My ideal would still be an L42a1 Enfield, but thats more a matter of being a Lee Enfield collector and my wife would beat me for spending that much on a new one.

Theres pretty much many rifles that would work. They have to be fairly accurate and very robust so you can pretty much get by with most stuff.

I wouldn't turn down an AI arctic warfare in 7.62 nato either.

rockstar.esq
June 4, 2007, 11:20 PM
My recommendation is to buy something affordable and accurate like the Savage 10FP. The M1A is an immensely expensive platform that requires asinine bedding to achieve it's mythical sub- MOA accuracy. Remingtons are well made rifles just bear in mind that the 710 is not the same as a 700. It bears mentioning that "sniping" glass is rudely expensive so seeking an economical and accurate rifle makes the entire "package" more balanced. I often I see Cadillac rifles with Yugo glass. Realistically image quality and reliable turret adjustments are more critical than magnification or overpriced scope mounts.

Wildalaska
June 5, 2007, 01:02 AM
Blaser :)

WildtyroneslothropAlaska

SteelCore
June 5, 2007, 01:16 AM
I second the Savage 10FP for a .308. You're not likely to hear many bad things about that rifle. Here's an overview:

http://www.snipercentral.com/sav110fp.htm

Wildalaska
June 5, 2007, 01:19 AM
You're not likely to hear many bad things about that rifle

Except its a savage :eek:

WildwhatasnotiamAlaska

SteelCore
June 5, 2007, 01:26 AM
Can you be more specific, Wildalaska? What don't you like about Savages?

Wildalaska
June 5, 2007, 01:32 AM
Hmmm...well I sold ONE this year, finally. Its been back to the factory twice :)

WildandiwillsaynomoreAlaska

SteelCore
June 5, 2007, 02:03 AM
Can I ask what model it was and what kind of problems you were having? I'm curious because I'm thinking about getting a 110FP in .300WM myself. I've heard only great things about these guns, so I'm interested to hear a different point of view. Thanks.

ch47gunner
June 5, 2007, 02:19 AM
I have one of the Savage 10FP's, in .308 - actually both my son & I bought 10FP's at the same time.
Both of us immediately replaced the plastic Savage stock - I went with a Bell & Carlsen Medalist/Varmint, my son went with a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock. I think I'm a little happier with the Bell & Carlsen stock. I used the same Farrell one piece Weaver mount and Warne Maxima QD rings, tho we used different scopes.
Both rifles are extremely accurate - 'course mine's better than his. With the proper one piece mount & good rings set-up these rifles are worth the price.

BlondieStomp
June 5, 2007, 02:49 AM
rem 700p, Accuracy International, sako trg, blaser r93(mmmmm), all good.

Wildalaska
June 5, 2007, 12:33 PM
Can I ask what model it was and what kind of problems you were having? I'm curious because I'm thinking about getting a 110FP in .300WM myself. I've heard only great things about these guns, so I'm interested to hear a different point of view. Thanks.

Accu-trigger problems.

I wouldnt onw a Savage if you gave me one and thats harsh I know but IMHO they are junk. Id rather have a Turk Mauser:)

WildsowhodowequotetodayAlaska

Jimro
June 5, 2007, 01:25 PM
My savage is pre-accutrigger. I replaced it with a Timney and have no complaints. If you don't like the accutrigger then replacement triggers are available.

No factory puts out 100% perfect product, there are plenty of Remingtons that have to go back to the factory.

I don't have any problem recommending a Savage. But then again I don't have any problem recommending the FN SPR which has been known to have wrong scope bases FROM THE FACTORY.

Jimro

629 shooter
June 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
I have owned a Rem 700P in .308 and it was quite a good shooter. A friend of mine owns one and it too displays some pretty impressive accuracy. The old 700 VS was also another .308 that I owned that was accurate with just about anything I shot through it.

The 700LTR .308 gets a lot of high praise over at snipercentral.com I have the .223 version and it is simply the most accurate rifle I have owned.

Only have experience with one Savage , my 12BVSS. There was nothing wrong with the function of the Accu-Trigger on mine. Out of the box the trigger pull was far and away better than any of the Remingtons I have owned. The accuracy never fails to impress me.

The 10FP .308 also is available with the HS Precision stock or McMillan.

Zak Smith
June 6, 2007, 10:32 AM
See
PRACTICAL LONG-RANGE RIFLE SHOOTING - PART I: THE RIFLE & GEAR (http://demigod.org/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/)

There are quite a few different rifles issued as sniper rifles to various countries.

john in jax
June 6, 2007, 12:04 PM
I've shot a borrowed Savage 10FP in .308 w/Accu-trigger and loved it. Been trying to afford/add one to my collection for a couple of years.

I own a bull bbl Ruger M77 MkII VLE in .308 that shoots sub-MOA all day long.

However, my favorite is a DPMS LR-308. An AR style rifle with a 24" fluted, stainless, bull bbl. At over 12lbs empty it is HEAVY, but it shoots GREAT!.

FirstFreedom
June 6, 2007, 01:26 PM
I also have (essentially) 1st hand knowledge of a Savage which had to go back to the factory with accutrigger problems....wasn't mine, but gun shop got it in and tested it - had to send it back b4 it even hit the sales floor. Sometimes cocking wouldn't set the trigger, sometimes it wouldn't fire, sometimes it fired upon safety disengaging - something to that effect - multiple strange occurrences. Hope they iron that out soon, because they are otherwise excellent rifles.

DangIhateitwhenWAisrighteventheleastbit. :)

davo17
June 6, 2007, 01:39 PM
Savage makes a great tactical rifle and they listen to what customers want. That is why they have better tiggers, twist rates, and barrel/stock configurations then anyone else, IMO.
Heres the review of mine...http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247728

Raider 1
June 7, 2007, 06:13 PM
Learn as much as u can about what makes an accurate rifle then look at what meets your wants and needs the closest while remaining in your price range. I've seen exotic<---very expensive, rifles shoot no better than an out of the box set up with careful attention to the ammo used and decent glass.

Chris Phelps
June 7, 2007, 11:53 PM
Savage 10FP.

http://www.dv8films.com/rifles/savagepair02.jpg

cheygriz
June 8, 2007, 07:14 PM
Remington 40 X for the best. Unless you can afford an Accuracy International!:D

Wildalaska
June 8, 2007, 07:23 PM
DangIhateitwhenWAisrighteventheleastbit.

ya know First, I have put up with your silly political positions and constant picking on me but this is the last straw.

I can no longer even acknowledge the existence of a Mighty Ducks fan. Begone!

Wildiusedtospendhalfmytimeinmapleleafgardensinthegoodolddays...gobuds!Alaska

fisherman66
June 8, 2007, 08:03 PM
Chris, those rifles are so deadly they killed the grass under 'em.

fixboot
June 8, 2007, 08:07 PM
You say you need a "sniper" rifle huh? Do you plan on doing some "sniping" ??:rolleyes:

fisherman66
June 8, 2007, 08:14 PM
Snipe are tiny Fixboot. Ya need a really accurate rifle to shoot 'em.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8b/Commonsnipe67.jpg/250px-Commonsnipe67.jpg

fixboot
June 8, 2007, 08:21 PM
HAHAH! :D

Funny stuff man.

My "dis" was actually intended for the OP.

+1 on having a pair of very sharp looking rifles!

fisherman66
June 8, 2007, 08:26 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but if emulation is the highest form of flattery and they are emulating US soldiers I have a hard time dis-ing 'em.

They are beautiful rifles. Not mine, but mine ain't to shabby either.

Chris Phelps
June 10, 2007, 02:47 AM
lol fisher... actually that was a car that killed the grass. :D

I'll have to take pics again soon.... my Millett TRS-1 is arriving on Tuesday.

FYI - The green rifle is a Savage-Stevens 200 chambered in .223 Remington with a Sightron SII 3-9x42mm scope (I believe fisher pointed the sightrons out to me, actually?). The black rifle is a Savage 10FP .308 with a Trashco 5-20x50mm scope (soon to be replaced with a TRS1)... both have Harris Bipods. The OD Green was the base color for my camo job. I have yet to pick out a pattern though, so for now, it remains green. Next pic I post will include my Ruger M77 and my AR15 Varmint (revised... Harris bipod and Millett Buck Gold Side-focus scope). :-D

Zombie Steve
June 10, 2007, 01:47 PM
My 5 cents (2 cents adjusted for inflation):

I own a Remington 700 BDL (although it is a .30-06) and an Springfield M1A "Loaded Standard". I haven't modified them at all, and I think both are great platforms. Good groups - reality for me is about 1.5 MOA average, and more importantly, IMHO, the point of impact never shifts.

FirstFreedom
June 10, 2007, 02:55 PM
fisherman, we were told that snipe were little furry critters that you hunt for at night, and when you come upon one, you grab them and throw them into a burlap sack with your hands.

WA, how does a good American like a Canadian team like the Leafs over an American team?... see, I TRY to find the good in you, but you make it difficult. :p I don't necessarily love the Ducks - but I sorta liked them since Paul Kariya played there, and certainly wanted them to win over Ottawa - yuk! And good to see Teemu and some others finally win the cup (Brad May, Robbie N., etc.). Anyhoo, I will *try* to "pick on" you less. :)

fisherman66
June 10, 2007, 03:28 PM
Chris, I have recommended Sightron a few times to different individuals. I feel they offer a tremendous value for a well made scope. I expect the prices to go up as they make a name for themself.

FF, I've never been snipe hunting. I hear it's fun.

ltdave
June 10, 2007, 03:39 PM
Savage 10FP...

3/4" at 200yds off sand bags with a bushnell 3x9 and federal GMM...

ive shot it out to 1000yds and placed 2nd out of 5 with it...

they need a better (stiffer) stock and the accu-trigger. the original trigger was like 27lbs...

if you spend less money on a more accurate rifle (not only ME saying it) then you can spend more on your optics...

david

gr8gun
June 10, 2007, 04:50 PM
Don't know that I'd ever "snipe", but I did want a deer hunting rifle with a lot of flexibility. Sometimes I'll be clawing my way through thick brush, next minute I'll come to a clear cut where I can see 300 yards (or more) across to the next hillside. One rifle that can do it all is the Remington 700P LTR. I know its a "police" model, but it's only 7.5 pounds - not too heavy to carry, and only a 20" barrel (fluted bull), so it's fairly compact and easy to handle in the brush. And I don't think accuracy is an issue with it. Its not inexpensive, but since it is so versatile, I think its worth the money. I think Remington could make a "camo" version and easily sell it as a hunting rifle.

http://www.remingtonle.com/images/rifles/700pltr.jpg

T. O'Heir
June 10, 2007, 05:15 PM
"...know its a "police" model..." That's what 'tactical' rifles used to be marketed as being. Same rifles with a different finish.
Putting a scope on a commercial bolt action hunting rifle does not make it a sniper's rifle. Putting a highly accurized, scoped, bolt action rifle in the hands of a specially trained infantryman does.

Wildalaska
June 10, 2007, 06:51 PM
WA, how does a good American like a Canadian team like the Leafs over an American team?

The Leafs....the Leafs....they are like a gorgeous woman with a toque and a cigarette in a smokey baroom drinkin cheap whiskey in some freezing cold canadian mining town on some big old lake......:D

American teams are all about the market share. Boring. Ducks. Bleah.

and on topic?

Old WA popped a five shot .366 group today with his Blaser and a new load...

WildfeelssomanlyAlaska

FirstFreedom
June 10, 2007, 07:05 PM
.366 - littleisgood. :eek::eek: Congrats. :)

fixboot
June 10, 2007, 11:51 PM
Putting a scope on a commercial bolt action hunting rifle does not make it a sniper's rifle. Putting a highly accurized, scoped, bolt action rifle in the hands of a specially trained infantryman does.

Nice.:cool:

BunkerBuster
June 11, 2007, 10:48 AM
Another good budget rifle is Tikka T3 Varmint 308. Haven't shot one, but I did dry fire few. It has a nice trigger.