PDA

View Full Version : M1As, ARs and California

KDM
June 4, 2007, 08:47 PM
Went to the Vallejo gunshow this past Sunday. Lots of cool C&Rs all over the place. Didn't get nuthin'...don't know enough about the little nuances of each rifle to prevent myself from getting raked over the coals. :eek: Anyway, what really caught my eye was an AR15. Yep...an AR, for sale, in California. Twasn't one of them fixed magazine jobbies, either. From the trigger forward it was an AR...but it had a funny stock. Called a U-15. Reminds me of those high-tech prosthetic legs. What it does is eliminates the pistol grip, and gives you a "traditional" rifle hold...elimination of the pistol grip transforms an AR from an assault rifle to a non-assault rifle. Buffer tube is above it. Guy at the show said you can get an off-list lower, attach one of the U-15 stocks to it, and be 100% legal. Very intriguing.

Thing is, since I'd have a rifle-stocked AR15, why wouldn't I have an M1A instead? In Cali we're limited to non-pistol-gripped rifles anyway...why not get it in 308 instead of 223? Those are all rhetorical questions, by the way. I just wanted to do some out-loud thinking.:D

glockman19
June 4, 2007, 09:03 PM
I have both a CA legal AR and a M1A. I'll be getting another of each before the end of summer. M1A is legal because it has a Muzzle Break, no Flash supressor, fixed stock and detachable magazines I have many pre ban 20 rounders form 1986.

The AR can be configured in one of two ways to be CA legal. I have a Stag:
1) Fixed Stock, Pistol Grip, Fixed 10 round magazine, Muzzle Break.
2) Fixed Stock, Monsterman grip, Detachible Magazine, Muzzle Break. Also I have many pre-ban 20 & 30 round magazines I've had for 20+ years that are legal to use & posess. I can even get repair kits for teh ones I have just can't add new ones.

In CA you can have any Off List Lower and be CA legal. I prefer Stag because the parent Company makes the parts for many other AR manufacturers.

Get one before teh next AWB. Don't worry. Check out www.lanworldinc.com Talk to my buddy Chris and he'll piont you in the right direction. Also they're cheap. you can put together a NEW AR for less than $800. Less thatn a good 1911.

DnPRK
June 4, 2007, 09:03 PM
A better solution is to get a 308 OLL and build it with a "bullet button" mag release.

roy reali
June 4, 2007, 11:00 PM
Isn't wonderful how progressive of a state California is. :confused:

30Cal
June 5, 2007, 09:49 AM
Where have you been? We started buying lowers here and building AR's about 18 months ago.

The AR is cheaper, cheaper to feed, cheaper to maintain, easier to shoot, easier to scope, has more aftermarket options and it's more accurate. I love my M1A, but from a competition/plinking standpoint, the AR is a better choice.

Ty

WhyteP38
June 6, 2007, 08:35 PM
Where have you been? We started buying lowers here and building AR's about 18 months ago.18 months and you still are not kayaking around in rivers of blood? Amazing! Who'da thunk it? Well, I guess not every left-wing phobia comes true.

Yeah, ARs are cheaper. They are also considerably lighter. I sold my M1A because I found it extremely heavy and cumbersome compared to an AR. Trust me, the weight factor becomes more important with each passing year.