PDA

View Full Version : 223 Twist and Barrel Length Questions not AR

ChevellRCR
June 4, 2007, 02:29 PM
I am going to rebarrel my Savage to 223. I have a suppressor that will be used with this rifle and want to bring the barrel down to about 18". This rifle will not be used past 300 yards and 95% of the usage will be at 100 yards. I am interested in the Adams & Bennett barrel that is 24" long and has a 1 in 14 twist. I know I will have to cut and recrown the barrel afterwards but I was wondering if I will have any problems with the barrel being that short with the 1 in 14 twist rate. I know 55gn bullits will be about as large as I can shoot. Thanks for your help.

taylorce1
June 4, 2007, 02:42 PM
I'd go a little faster on the twist, no more than 1:10 if you are putting on a new barrel. If you are happy with staying 55 grains and under then go for the 1:14. I'm a little different I like 55 grain bullets and up a little better.

Scorch
June 4, 2007, 03:34 PM
With a 1:14" twist, you may have difficulty stabilizing 55 gr bullets out of a 18" barrel due to lower velocity. You can stabililze a 55 gr in a 1:14" barrel that is 22" long, so it may depend on load velocity. A 1:12" will stabilize them just fine, but A&B doesn't offer a 1:12" .224" barrel. You may want to try ER Shaw. It's just a bit more money, but a lot bettter barrel.

BTW, as you may already know, a suppressor will not silence your 223 with supersonic loads.

Jim Watson
June 4, 2007, 05:07 PM
A 14 twist will be marginal with 55 grain boattail bullets as in M193 military or imitation military ammunition. A 12 twist was standardized in the M16 after the original 14 twist would not stabilize GI bullets in cold dense air. It should do ok with 55 gr flatbase if you handload them but you probably would not want to be limited to that. I'd get a 12 twist, probably a 9 which is very versatile.

A supressor will muffle the muzzle blast significantly. Everybody worries a lot about the supersonic shockwave "crack" that the can will not change, but the sound at the firing line will be much less.

ChevellRCR
June 4, 2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I really liked the price of those barrels and read good reviews on them. I didnt like the twist rate either and would rather have something in the 1 in 9 or even 8 range. I will contact E R Shaw in the morning. Also I may have found a new factory take off barrel in 223.

Thanks Scorch for the sound levels in the tube on a 223. I know they wont extremly quiet but I am looking to bring the system down to levels of a normal high vel 22LR. I ordered the Yankee Hill 7.62 Phantom. It just came in a week ago and now the paperwork is being sent off tomorrow to the ATF.

Crosshair
June 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
I went with an H&R Ultra Varmint in .223. It has a 1-9 twist. If you want to shoot low velocity loads or subsonics, the faster twist will come in handy. I also kept the long 24" barrel for maximum suppression/velocity What kind of suppressor do you have? I have a TAC-16 and I like it alot.

If you still want to use the slower twist, I would go with a 1-12" You don't want an unstable 55 grain .223 bullet tumbling through your suppressor. The faster 1-12" twist would be some good insurance against that.

sanson
June 4, 2007, 11:02 PM
boat tails (especially BT hollowpoints) run kinda lengthy and need more twist. I look for keyhole shaped slots in the target as a sign my bullets are too long. of course more twist cures that, but when is tight twist too much?:confused:

ChevellRCR
June 5, 2007, 08:30 AM
The factory takeoff barrel that I am looking at is a 26" with a 1 in 9 twist. That should be just right. I would probably cut it down to 20". I think that would be a better barrel if I can get it. The suppressor I bought is a Yankee Hill Phantom 7.62 that will work with 223 also.

http://www.yhm.net/store/phantom762.html